-Renton-

True Ouddict
Maunamoku's Walla Patta Red Soil. Have had this for a while now and still have 0.5g which should last me around 3-4 months if not longer, as I usually take the piece and chisel the sides to powder it and make tiny granules, this works for this wood better than heating (and especially burning) chips, I wasted so much of this wood when I first got it working all this out. The opening notes are of cream, oudy wood in a musky, dirty kind of way, and a sweet candy like note, this carries on and on, and is the main notes of the wood, then as you turn the temp up every 10-20mins by 10c or so it slowly feels like you are walking into a (first) "clean" forest, with all the original notes but more "forest-y", then the more and more the temp goes up, I reached 185-190. Ordered a power adapter that hopefully works this time, that will make this heater I got much more useful for other woods too as it doesnt have enough power from any of my chargers/power supplies to do so and even reaching 150-185 is slow, but when you go up and up to 190 you eventually get so deep into the forest it is no longer a forest, it is the amazon rainforest, you end up in the swamp but it smells oudy, dirty, but oudy... then it wisps away and its gone. Without delicate care of temp, you will get burnt notes, I have done that a few times.

Sometimes when I got deep into the rainforest type notes, I would sometimes get a memory of the cream coming back, in a more muddy, dirty way... but alas, still beautiful cream.

Last edited:

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Burn of the day for me Quintis Santalum album chips and premium powder from Western Australia . Mmm creamy goodness. Very nice burn and a brilliant price. Anyone after bulk album chips or powder is definitely worth checking out for incense making.

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_035410119.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_035410119.MP.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240228_035416541.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_035416541.MP.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240228_035440646.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_035440646.MP.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240228_035430364.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_035430364.MP.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 19

Mousse de Chene

True Ouddict
Burn of the day for me Quintis Santalum album chips and premium powder from Western Australia . Mmm creamy goodness. Very nice burn and a brilliant price. Anyone after bulk album chips or powder is definitely worth checking out for incense making.
I love the heartwood powder. Vanillic crème brûlée bottom note is delicious! It lacks the floral horizontal complexity of Mysore Album but for the price it’s very satisfying.

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Alright, I've moved onto the Brunei K from Kangiiten. I'm really not sure how to describe this? I get like some kind of confectionery? Has anyone made their own jam before? This is what it's reminding me off. Jam, bubbling away on a stove top. Rosella Jam. Maybe only the Australians on this forum will understand that?

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Some Mysore Sandalwood from the same blocks Goodness Nose (Athsmos) used for his sandalwood oils. I just use a chisel and go down the wood to create shavings and some small, very small, chips.

Start -
Finish -
Started off with temps at 138 - 142, then gradually went up to 175c before stopping, this session lasted almost 2 hours, and atleast 1 hour and 20 mins (most likely 1.5hrs).

Starting aroma was a nice sweet, mildly woody, very thick creamy and buttery notes with some citrus notes in the back.

As the temp went up and up and up and the more it as being heated (I would move up 2-4c every time I noticed no aroma) at around 155 the sweet note went away, and it turned into a sour (but pleasant) creamy note, with a sizzling, stronger, buttery note, as if it as being cooked on the pan. Then I would slowly work my way up and once I got to 160c it became a very dry, woody scent, with more sourness to the creamy notes and the butteriness was going up and up as well, then when I finally reached 175c there was not much aroma left and it was too sour, almost bitter, with just a dry woody note and I knew it was done. You can even see in the "finish" picture that most of the oil has been drained from it.

Interesting burn tbh.

Mousse de Chene

True Ouddict
Kangiiten Green Shin-Kyara. This one never fails to impress me with it creaminess. Today i'm also getting some peppery spice with vanilla.
It still amazes me the average person can access the Kyara profile in this day & age. Obviously, not to the full extent as old, wild Kyara however the Kangiiten Shin Kyara is excellent.
Kyara associations aside, it’s just really good Agarwood for a good price! The white is my personal favourite at the moment. It exhibits a wonderful resinous sweetness, I’m a sucker for sweet Oud & this one ticks the box for me.

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
It still amazes me the average person can access the Kyara profile in this day & age. Obviously, not to the full extent as old, wild Kyara however the Kangiiten Shin Kyara is excellent.
Kyara associations aside, it’s just really good Agarwood for a good price! The white is my personal favourite at the moment. It exhibits a wonderful resinous sweetness, I’m a sucker for sweet Oud & this one ticks the box for me.
I certainly do feel very lucky. Especially as it's in a very good price point so no complaints there. The white from Kangiiten is the only one I haven't tried and I think it's all sold out for now. Is it comparable to whites from other vendors? I realise there are always variable's but do the cultivated kynam's share common scent profiles do you think?

Mousse de Chene

True Ouddict
I certainly do feel very lucky. Especially as it's in a very good price point so no complaints there. The white from Kangiiten is the only one I haven't tried and I think it's all sold out for now. Is it comparable to whites from other vendors? I realise there are always variable's but do the cultivated kynam's share common scent profiles do you think?
What a time to be alive!
I haven’t tried CK from any other vendor aside from Kangiiten, so I can’t comment on a comparison. While I do enjoy the Kyara profile I don’t avidly collect kinamic woods or oils. Give me some dark incensey resinous Hindi / Malaysian woods & oils instead please!

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
What a time to be alive!
I haven’t tried CK from any other vendor aside from Kangiiten, so I can’t comment on a comparison. While I do enjoy the Kyara profile I don’t avidly collect kinamic woods or oils. Give me some dark incensey resinous Hindi / Malaysian woods & oils instead please!
Maybe i'm better placed to answer that question myself as I have some white CK from Al Hind Oudh as well as some white sinking CK from the Tea Guru. I'll get back to you on that one. The CK from Al Hind Oudh is very potent and spicy. I'll make a comparison with the Tea Guru CK when I give that a burn. Unsure as to the origin of either. Edit..the CK from the Tea Guru is Hainan.

Last edited:

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
I'm going hard on the burns today as I got a new little ceramic heater and I'm trying a few that I've been sitting on for a while. Currently heating Shin-Kyara Fusen from Vietnam. This one is making me hungry for a warm cinnamon scroll on a cold rainy day. I have also heated today some very old stock Mysore from the Tea Guru as well as some wild sinking grade sandalwood from Java. The Java was almost antiseptic in it strength and woodiness on a low heat while the Mysore preferred it a bit hotter. It was displaying a profile that smelled like an old library that had been stored in chests upon an old pirate ship. How's that for an analogy? Yet, this is how it smelled to me.