I believe i did that too in many posts.
In short Rikkokugomi system made by Munenobu Shino and Sanjonishi Sanetaka and means six countrys/kingdoms five flavors/scents.
Those two known as founder of Kodo which is one of 3 major arts invented that time.
Kodo = Incense Ceremony
Kado = Flower ceremony
Sado = Tea ceremony

I'll copy paste what i posted before...
views about origins of woods in the Rikkokugomi
its commonly said or wrote in many seller sites, articles that
Kyara - vietnam
Rakoku - Thailand
Manaka - malaca"malaysia" < the piece we talking about was classified as manaka
Manaban - malabar coast
Sasosra - India/uknown
Sumatora or Sumandora - sumatra
referance “Kodo Oku no Shiori” written by Ryuho Oheda
simple? its not!, because not everyone agree with that classification and the wood origins
the origin of the interpretation that "rikkokugomi/ (Kidokoro) = Classification by country of production" was established by Takakatsu Takebe, a disciple of Shino ryu, and he wasn't head of the school. "which is why another head school and his lineage refuse it.
another view by kodo master that he got from his predecessor about the 6 kingdoms is this
Kyara/Rakoku = vietnamese
Manaka/Mannaban = Siamese"name of Thailand in old times"
Sasora/Summondora = Indo and mostly from Kalimantan
ofcourse he say there is exceptions for the origins.
and here another view from disciple of master too

Kyara = Vietnamese and its surroundings
Rakoku = Vietnamese
Manaka = Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo, Brunei
Mannaban = Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Yunnan, China, Indonesia, Sumatra
Sasora = Kalimantan island, Sumatra, India"Sandalwood" as some schools use sandalwood instead of agarwood and some use another tree called "Yellow Ripe Incense"
Summondora = Kalimantan Island"

example of complicated views of origins and scents...is the Manaban wood
im sure you realize that in japan the two ongoing schools Shino and Oie...they have close ties but they also have different views regarding some of the woods used in rikkokugomi like its origin, profile and so on..
shino school rikkugomi is only agarwood...while the oie include Sandal and Yellow incense there under Sasora or Samandora/Sumatora.
back to manaban scent Profile in general..
Oie School : Refreshing scent, gentle, no irritation to the nose, slight impact, unique luster.
Shino School : Moderate impact, strong, sweetness, sea breeze scent, unique density, saltiness.
Shino School Manaban before war "i believe here they talk about the "Ōnin War" could be mistaken : Unique acidity, saltiness, a type that seems to be tangy agarwood, and an incredible sweetness.

Now you probably would ask does all woods fall under Rikkokugomi system? no its not its specific certain woods fall under that classification,
That's why even many of Disciples of Schools don't dare to classify it, only left to masters and who is certified by them.
Just like there is many Kyara's but Rikkokugomi Kyara is different profile "Visit Shoyeido etc and have taste yourself to know what i'm talking about"
There is lots of schools in japan old and new however the two main streams are the founders "Shino and Oie"
A list of Flavors according to both schools
Kyara - Shino = Bitter
- Oie = Bitter
Rakoku - Shino = Spicy - Oie = Sweet
Managa - Shino = Salty - Oie = Flavorless
Manaban - Shino = Sweet - Oie = Salty
Sasora - Shino = Sour - Oie = Spicy
Sumatora - Shino = Sour - Oie = Sour

Now there is branches and different part of Oie with different views i'm too lazy to list them.
Thank you, much appreciated, iori 🙂
 
Wild Nha Trang from BakhoorStore Incense (sold out).
Not a single bad piece in here! All have a delicious Vietnam profile; with sweet, sour berries and subtle florals that combine with the classic Vietnam oudy woody note at it's core.
Only thing missing is that distinctive Nha Trang mintiness, and the cooling effect of many genuine Nha Trang samples. It may be vietnamese more generally but it's still a great batch of wood.
1000002414.jpg

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Wild Nha Trang from BakhoorStore Incense (sold out).
Not a single bad piece in here! All have a delicious Vietnam profile; with sweet, sour berries and subtle florals that combine with the classic Vietnam oudy woody note at it's core.
Only thing missing is that distinctive Nha Trang mintiness, and the cooling effect of many genuine Nha Trang samples. It may be vietnamese more generally but it's still a great batch of wood.
View attachment 39509
View attachment 39510View attachment 39511View attachment 39512
Those look awesome. I have had bad experiences with her (and not just me either) were she gave me horrible wood, had basically no smell, and had like 1mm of resin at the top and the rest of the chip below the top being just dirty and not cleaned well at all, and she tried to say it as me not being experienced enough lol another user (look on my profile here and you will see) also had that similar response... shes very rude if you judge her wood, not very humble, be safe ordering any agarwood from her, but her oils and bakhoor are top notch.
 
Wild Shin-Kyara a 61kinds famous piece named, "Fuji Smoke" by the Kodo Master who graded, and named it. Very nice wood, and the changes it goes through each session is insane, even in the same day. Kos told me that is also due to nose refinement and the wood just undergoing changes too, and the more I smell kyara, especially the same one over and over (but will also happen with every kyara in a way I believe) the "stronger" an more noticeable the scent becomes, even just smelling it out of the glass bottle every so often can heighten your experience. I have so many empty bottles from Kangiiten stuff, and once I am done with a bottle I usually take the lid off the bottle and air it out for a good couple of days to a week or longer, but usually within 7-14 days of airing it out, so I can put kyara in it.

Sweet, bitter, and spicy, with notes of yellow sunshine, yellow florals like big sunflowers, as if I am going through a field of them and get some notes of the greenery attached to the flowers, a creaminess that is both sweet, biter and spicy, golden honey that has a mainly sweet but slightly spicy tones to it with an undertone of bitterness... yellow is the major colour I felt/smelled/visualized and a little red/purple (possibly because of the spiciness).

The Kyara:

 
Mesoud pursat, dark THICK wonderful char piece, with really good resignation I dont see often. I took off some splinters on the edge because its so thick, little bitter right off the bat, and then fruity, really juicy fruity for a long time. The sweetness is ringing loud and clear before you turn up the heat and get woody and resin oud. It is great wood I already want more.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Last edited:
Mesoud pursat, dark THICK wonderful char piece, with really good resignation I dont see often. I took off some splinters on the edge because its so thick, little bitter right off the bat, and then fruity, really juicy fruity for a long time. The sweetness is ringing loud and clear before you turn up the heat and get woody and resin oud. It is great wood I already want more.View attachment 39532
Hope you enjoy them,i didnt say but i add extra 10% within every wood (ther may be some splinters etc) and oil,bcz there are always some oil lefts in bottle
❤️
 
Hope you enjoy them,i didnt say but i add extra 10% within every wood (ther may be some splinters etc) and oil,bcz there are always some oil lefts in bottle
❤️

I noticed that! I am already enjoying them and just started the first one. From the communications, to the quality of wood, and speed of delivery, etc... everything was top notch best from you, I cant thank you enough. I am overwhelmed happy with the purchase.
 
Baieido rikkoku Manaban on the kodutu at the moment. This has a delicious fragrance - pieces are heavy, pretty dense and "char" I believe.

I'm pretty sure someone relatively new would easily confuse this for kinam (or kyara if they really had only experienced cultivated kinam), and it would be safe to say that quite a few kinamic oils could just as well be called "manabanic" if i am smelling things right. I will share scent notes compiled from the handful of sessions i have done with the wood:

Thick, sweet, honey, rooibos
Kyara-like sweet/bitter mid notes - like kyara stripped of some top notes
Creates a rich perfumey cloud
Sweet candy floral vinyl twang
Linden blossom, pipe tobacco, complex tangy citrus. Buzzy floral tangy base. I don't think I'm good at identifying species but I suppose I would guess Crassna or a cleaner/sweeter smelling sinensis.

IMG_8586.jpeg
IMG_8587.jpeg
IMG_8588.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Baieido rikkoku Manaban on the kodutu at the moment. This has a delicious fragrance - pieces are heavy, pretty dense and "char" I believe.

I'm pretty sure someone relatively new would easily confuse this for kinam (or kyara if they really had only experienced cultivated kinam), and it would be safe to say that quite a few kinamic oils could just as well be called "manabanic" if i am smelling things right. I will share scent notes compiled from the handful of sessions i have done with the wood:

Thick, sweet, honey, rooibos
Kyara-like sweet/bitter mid notes - like kyara stripped of some top notes
Creates a rich perfumey cloud
Sweet candy floral vinyl twang
Linden blossom, pipe tobacco, complex tangy citrus. Buzzy floral tangy base. I don't think I'm good at identifying species but I suppose I would guess Crassna or a cleaner/sweeter smelling sinensis.

View attachment 39559View attachment 39560View attachment 39561View attachment 39562
If I may ask: does the Baieido Rikkoku set have 'chips' in it or are some woods in the set uniformly cut chunks, the likes of Kakuwari or the ones Iori is frequently posting?
 
If I may ask: does the Baieido Rikkoku set have 'chips' in it or are some woods in the set uniformly cut chunks, the likes of Kakuwari or the ones Iori is frequently posting?
It is all in the form of chips - here's another:
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Gotcha. Thanks for pointing it out. IDK why I envision rikkoku gomi sets to contain only the best chunks from the middle of heartwood where you can appreciate the natural form and beauty of the piece itself as well.
No doubt there are all kinds of different sets! I have read that part of the process of preparing for kodo is selecting / making cuts to extract sections of wood ideal for the ritual - not sure how to approach my set and making cuts of the wood.
 
No doubt there are all kinds of different sets! I have read that part of the process of preparing for kodo is selecting / making cuts to extract sections of wood ideal for the ritual - not sure how to approach my set and making cuts of the wood.
Got it. Thanks 🙂
 
Back
Top