OUDOLOGIE ~ Royal Hindi Gaf Char from Nagaland
Revealing in stereo, on the BBQ electric bahkoor burner, deep dark notes of leather. While the other speaker, a warmer (that doubles as a twinkling light show) shoots off fizzy cola top notes.
Those are some nice looking pieces yowza
 
White Shavings from a Purple Kyara piece from kosmas I got with my first package of Kyara back in May. Just heating it on my agarwood heater instead of the kinam heater, since that still has slivers of cut up Plum Blossoms and I wanted to just use some of the white shavings I got since they just sit there, so I put a scoop on my kangiiten agarwood heater that I use for agarwood and sometimes CK, now I will use the white shavings in it lol.

Sweet, sour, creamy, milky, red and purple fruits, red sour fruits and purple sweeter fruits, animalic type musky tones, with a ray of purple around it, I detected some florals + fruits too.

Longest kynam heat I have done, but this is just a bit of fun on the agarwood heater, I usually just put scrapings from wild kyara or CK chips on the actual Kinam heater. But this was still going very, very strong after the session.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Kangiiten - Golden Leaf CK Heavily resinated, kinamic and menthol. It's very nice but until I find out otherwise I'm going to say that Kangiiten have just pulled this "Golden Leaf" name out of their ass for pure marketing purposes. The "white" powder that Kangiiten sells is possibly a little sweeter than this so I'm not convinced this is simply non ground "white" chips but I'll happily be proven wrong by someone with a better nose than me. Can't be a coincidence that the ONLY reference to "Golden Leaf" CK that I can find anyway is what Kangiiten is selling.
 
Kangiiten - Golden Leaf CK Heavily resinated, kinamic and menthol. It's very nice but until I find out otherwise I'm going to say that Kangiiten have just pulled this "Golden Leaf" name out of their ass for pure marketing purposes. The "white" powder that Kangiiten sells is possibly a little sweeter than this so I'm not convinced this is simply non ground "white" chips but I'll happily be proven wrong by someone with a better nose than me. Can't be a coincidence that the ONLY reference to "Golden Leaf" CK that I can find anyway is what Kangiiten is selling.
Yes, "Golden Leaf" is just a kangiiten term. But they do explain it somewhere, that it's named after the appearance of the subspecies (mutation) it comes from.

Basically the trees the wood comes from all grow a more yellow, golden colored leaf. Hence "Golden leaf"!

It's the same with "Dark-Body Round-Leaf" a personal favorite of mine.
I think it's actually helpful to separate different batches by subspecies for the consumer, whether they're labeled creatively or simply "lot A, lot B etc". It allows the pieces to be consistent from one to the next (unlike their wild woods which vary within a bottle), and I know when I order dark body round leaf I'm getting the same product from the same batch that I know I enjoy.
 
Yes, "Golden Leaf" is just a kangiiten term. But they do explain it somewhere, that it's named after the appearance of the subspecies (mutation) it comes from.

Basically the trees the wood comes from all grow a more yellow, golden colored leaf. Hence "Golden leaf"!

It's the same with "Dark-Body Round-Leaf" a personal favorite of mine.
I think it's actually helpful to separate different batches by subspecies for the consumer, whether they're labeled creatively or simply "lot A, lot B etc". It allows the pieces to be consistent from one to the next (unlike their wild woods which vary within a bottle), and I know when I order dark body round leaf I'm getting the same product from the same batch that I know I enjoy.
That makes total sense. Nice.
 
My aged Black Cultivated Kyara (I like to use the word, "Kyara", instead of Kynam, for CK and Wild, since it doesn't mean a location whereas, I think anyway, the word "Kynam" means it is Kyara from Vietnam specifically or whatever, and Kyara just encompasses it all, before CK I think that's why the Japanese maybe used the term "Kyara" since they were getting Kyara from the Sham Kingdom that is made up of different countries, but Japan uses scent profile to grade things etc, so maybe they came up with the term Kyara so it can fit all the real Kinam wood without pointing to a specific country? IDK I am still trying to learn more about that)

20 - 25mins so session, aroma faint at 60c, aroma noticeable at 80c and 100c+ it is very strong, sweet spot is 140-160c, but 120c was good too, but I am playing with it on 140-160c up and down (like if 140c starts getting weak, I will put it up to 160c for a few seconds then turn it back down and aroma is way back up again). Main temp was 140c.

Sweet, creamy, vanilla opening, with some semi-sweet pleasing bitterness, some milky/woody notes, black colour from the dark chocolate, and (a note I never got from this CK before) beautiful purple florals, with some bitter, light forest greenery, with a golden honey tone.

WARNING - RANT - DO NOT HAVE TO READ!!!

Beautiful CK!!! Still rarely touching it, as I did buy 25grams of this back in November, and I had like no knowledge of kinam and was cutting it up like regular cultivated agarwood (😂 I know, I know, I was very stupid) into like 0.3-0.5g pieces and heating the pieces on coal, such stupidity, but what you dont know you dont know lol. I could have cut this into 1-2g pieces kept 10g for myself for like 2 years happily if I was doing it this way (the amount on the heater is just 25-30mg which I feel is a still very high amount, when this amount is done I might try putting on around half of that) and kept the rest of the CK in the tub (all cut up into 1-2g pieces) then I could have aged 15g easily while still using some of the CK normally, then when I got to 2 years and finally tried a piece of the CK after 2+ years of aging, then take 5g out of the original tub and use some of that and age the rest of the 10g left over in the tub for another 2 years lol... anyway, I might actually buy 25-50g of some really good CK (which tbh, this actually is, but I am sure I can get better CK from Miki in China, like the red oil, blonde resin CK she has, or the Japanese CK that I have seen which looks amazing, or just buy some more CK from KyaraShrine, but the heartwood CK she sells at higher prices and age that and now that I know what I am doing with it, it wont go to waste, but the heartwood CK she sells is like 10g for the price I got this 25g at, so I may look around on her etsy). I also have really high quality CK from Alex @TheAgarwoodShop that just arrived as I was typing this lol, as I remembered it was meant to come today then checked the tracking, said it as delivered, so went to my door and it was lying there a package, gonna upload those on the other forum soon. *RANT OVER*

This is the piece I used as different pieces actually look different from one another in terms of aging, the pieces actually change look when aged for some reason, and definitely smell!!!
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I like the dark body round leaf as well - I bought a variety of the kangiiten cultivated kinam chips and that one stood out.

Speaking of kinam, I am burning some white kinam I purchased from Mesoud. When first on the heater it was giving off all kinds of intriguing spicy and woody notes on top of the ck sweetness. I am currently on the second day of heating a piece half the size of a peanut on the tea light burner. Smelling wonderful even though nearly spent and i have it close to the flame - it is still giving off that beautiful space filling bitter sweet semi-charred oud aroma.
 
Yeah I had some Dark Body Round leaf for AGEEEES, and still have 2 super tiny chips of the Black Kynam 5g that came with it. Now that you mentioned Dark Body Round Leaf, I think I may buy some of that again with the black kynam and just ignore them for 3 months as even 3 months of aging, the Dark Body Round Leaf becomes much better at even that point. I even think it becomes quite aromatic in the bottle at around 3months, although not too strong, before I finished the first bottle I ever had, it was aged for a while, and the aroma bursted out at room temp lol, same for the TWO TINY black chips I have now they are super aromatic in the bottle. I also have some (peanut) chips of Purple Kynam that I got from Kangiiten so long ago I forgot when, and that is in my bedroom sitting behind my TV, and that is getting super strong at room temp now, I just like aging the CK's I get because CK is like Oud Oil in that it gets better with age. Most agarwood isn't really like that, at least, I don't think anyway. Maybe it does, I just think that normal agarwood that is vintage is just very good because it came from trees with infection years in the 50s+.
 
Yeah I had some Dark Body Round leaf for AGEEEES, and still have 2 super tiny chips of the Black Kynam 5g that came with it. Now that you mentioned Dark Body Round Leaf, I think I may buy some of that again with the black kynam and just ignore them for 3 months as even 3 months of aging, the Dark Body Round Leaf becomes much better at even that point. I even think it becomes quite aromatic in the bottle at around 3months, although not too strong, before I finished the first bottle I ever had, it was aged for a while, and the aroma bursted out at room temp lol, same for the TWO TINY black chips I have now they are super aromatic in the bottle. I also have some (peanut) chips of Purple Kynam that I got from Kangiiten so long ago I forgot when, and that is in my bedroom sitting behind my TV, and that is getting super strong at room temp now, I just like aging the CK's I get because CK is like Oud Oil in that it gets better with age. Most agarwood isn't really like that, at least, I don't think anyway. Maybe it does, I just think that normal agarwood that is vintage is just very good because it came from trees with infection years in the 50s+.
Your observations that the aroma of the wood chips improves noticeably with time is an interesting one. In my mind that makes sense with cultivated kinam more than other types because it has such a high oil contact and it is so young. Oil mixtures/perfumes undergo pretty strong changes during the first month or so after mixing and it makes sense that the mixture of aromatic molecules that is suspended in the wood would undergo chemical change as it oxidizes, etc. I haven't busted out the dark body round leaf in a while. I will dig it out and heat a bit this afternoon.
 
Your observations that the aroma of the wood chips improves noticeably with time is an interesting one. In my mind that makes sense with cultivated kinam more than other types because it has such a high oil contact and it is so young. Oil mixtures/perfumes undergo pretty strong changes during the first month or so after mixing and it makes sense that the mixture of aromatic molecules that is suspended in the wood would undergo chemical change as it oxidizes, etc. I haven't busted out the dark body round leaf in a while. I will dig it out and heat a bit this afternoon.
Thank you. When you get the bottle out, take a deep inhale close-ish to your nose and see if you noticed any differences in room temp aroma strength from the bottle, ofc dont exhale into the bottle (same as regular wild, but even more so with wild because of how expensive it is and you dont want risking anything to do with it).
 
Back
Top