It’s not garbage, but indeed underwhelming and unimpressive. There’s resin, but the quality and power of the aroma doesn’t compare to my other Hainans. I think the resin inducing method to create resin quickly, made the quality suffer, or maybe it is the tree stock itself.
I just heated some of the Hainan chips from Kyarazen that I got a few weeks earlier, not the Baotou, these pieces definitely received the hot iron stake treatment, and smell similar to the Baotou, but with less performance. I’m not happy with that purchase.
im glad to hear im not the only one who had this experience. to be honest, all the powders ive gotten from them have kind of sucked. the woods have been all nice and punch above their price point, but the powders, not so much. I just trusted it since it was KZ but seriously they are underwhelming. fortunately they were not expensive, so it's not a big deal.
 
Maybe this is obvious and goes without saying, and I'm not saying this is the case with kangiiten or luxury niche sources, but with mainstream suppliers, i just assume powdered anything is in large part made up of all of the little scraps that fell off of the outer surfaces of all of the nicer stuff as it was processed. Basically the smaller the particle size the lower I would anticipate the fundamental quality to be.
 
Last edited:
im glad to hear im not the only one who had this experience. to be honest, all the powders ive gotten from them have kind of sucked. the woods have been all nice and punch above their price point, but the powders, not so much. I just trusted it since it was KZ but seriously they are underwhelming. fortunately they were not expensive, so it's not a big deal.
Yes, unfortunately I also agree with this assessment. I have a bottle of powdered Merauke Asgon and also the Hainan Baotou. I tried the Hainan yesterday and screwed my nose up at it and the Merauke was equally meh. I'm glad I didn't order the other two wood powders he has going. In saying that though I've passed on the Merauke to a friend who makes very good small batches of incense so we'll see what he comes back with stick wise. I might have some luck with it yet and if so I'll also send him the Baotou. I've also thought these powders are just KZ not wanting to waste anything which is fair enough. The raw product is very rare and expensive.
 
Alright, I'm going to ammend my impressions on the Hainan Baotou powder. I had actually given up on really getting much love from this powder but I thought I'd give it one more go as it was still sitting in the bowl of my heater so I just cranked it straight to 200 degrees and ended up with a facefull of really nice vapour! I just hadn't gone hot enough. I really like it. A little bit minty, definitely has that egg nogg vanilla scent, also a little musky. I've changed my mind.
 
Alright, I'm going to ammend my impressions on the Hainan Baotou powder. I had actually given up on really getting much love from this powder but I thought I'd give it one more go as it was still sitting in the bowl of my heater so I just cranked it straight to 200 degrees and ended up with a facefull of really nice vapour! I just hadn't gone hot enough. I really like it. A little bit minty, definitely has that egg nogg vanilla scent, also a little musky. I've changed my mind.
Like I mentioned, it does deliver some nice Hainan notes, my main issue is performance, and far less flowery top notes than my other Hainan chars.
 
Last edited:
61 kinds famous "mayono" again today. this is from a block of kyara that i have a parting from on a different part of the block and it is very different than the other one i have. yesterday I was hit with a strong wet juicy flowery - extremely cooling-herbal tropical- sweet-bitter-sour and slight spice flashing around. today i noticed some peach-clean perfumy white ambergris and pineapple in the mix as if a cocktail of very wet juicy flowers, cooling mint kind of note, peach, beach haze in fiji, a little bit of pineapple and some unique herbs with sweet honey. hands down top 5 kyara from the near 120 kyaras i have tried.
 
Last edited:
Like I mentioned, it does deliver some nice Hainan notes, my main issue is performance, and far less flowery top notes than my other Hainan chars.
I'm still going with the same bowl of Haian powder from Kangiiten. As I said this is my first time with "genuine" Hainan powder and I think we are all in agreement with the idea that these powders KZ offers are pretty much the left overs not wanting to be wasted but I really like it. I'm getting a bunch of different notes at high temps. So Hainan char can get even better in your opinion? I guess this is why people go nuts for the wood from this region and it carries this reputation similar to wood/oud from Nah Trang.
 
Some ck from ASO on the candle burner for some background fumigation. Pieces were heavy, pliable, very well resinated. The opening notes of this one are different - I can't really put it into words just a half dozen or so little additional sweet / savory nuances add some to the complexity of the top notes. I could probably be more articulate after a couple of additional burns. Beyond this, CK is pretty much CK and this fits the bill as well as any. for the time being I continue to appreciate the scent of ck, especially when lightly scorched but not burned. For me the low cost, simple clean consistent profile, and sinensis type experience is super appealing
 
I'm still going with the same bowl of Haian powder from Kangiiten. As I said this is my first time with "genuine" Hainan powder and I think we are all in agreement with the idea that these powders KZ offers are pretty much the left overs not wanting to be wasted but I really like it. I'm getting a bunch of different notes at high temps. So Hainan char can get even better in your opinion? I guess this is why people go nuts for the wood from this region and it carries this reputation similar to wood/oud from Nah Trang.
I've been struck by the hainan char samples that I've been lucky enough to sniff!
 
Maliano woody minty and(not too heavy)animal jungle notes , and really nice and sweet !!!!!

I got a new heater, it's a ceramic pcb soldering micro hot plate. It's called the mhp30 from aliexpress. The heat range is in the medium range with enough power similar to a subism but will not ignite the wood. I recommend you try it if you like to have a little more heat then the kinam heater
 
@TheAgarwoodShop Sinking Purple CK chips... now I know why they are 100 dollars a gram omg... you only need a small small amount for a very, very (absolutely beautiful I must say as well, on level with some wild kyara on the pleasant scent but not on complexity) super strong smell that even if you are not wafting in your face (was using my kangiiten UFO heater and wafting the vapour in my face) and you are actually at least 10 inches away from it and typing you can smell it strongly like an incense, its amazing, also the first pieces i scrapped off the 0.18g bit I had it was as soft as wild kyara and the inside of the cuts look very similar to wild kyara IMO/IME.

Very sweet, clear fresh mint, very sweet, very, very, VERY, saturated and explosive purple colour berry notes, and purple, pink and white florals, half bitter, savoury like woody note, very juicy with the purple berries and very sweet, sour note comes into play and its now a mainly sweet purple berry now with some sourness, then a sour dark cherry came into play around and stayed a while, with the lightening of these notes and them calming down and going into the background for more notes to come out a honey like golden but off golden syrup like texture (yeah for some reason I smell "texture" could be the vaporous-ness???), spiciness, spicy, diet bitter undertones with savour overtones with a sugary, honeyed woody note, not much agarwood note, a bit different.

When I first put this stuff on the heater I was absolutely shocked... 0.18g could last someone at least 10-20+ sessions(depending on usage), but longevity isn't as good with CK as it is wild, as wild has way more oil, but as you can see in this pic you can tell that this CK is extremely oily, so it does last longer and eventually go through a 2nd stage in the heating of it and maybe even a 3rd stage but that would be too subtle on this heater at the highest it can go as its only 180c so I would just put it away and save it for when I can put it on the Kinam heater and go to 180c on there (it has a better heating element so maybe I would only need 160c) and see if there's any aroma left if not then go to 200c then finish it on that when it stops giving aroma at 220c.

Best CK by far, doesn't even smell like normal CK at all, way more elegant, and beautiful, doesnt even have a CK profile, its more like an agarwood + a diet wild kyara-like notes. It's phenomenal.
1725469284690.jpeg


best purple ck ever on ufo heater.jpg
 
Last edited:
this is japans national treasure, ranjatai-ran, however it is probably not the one in the museum and this is yet again another top todaiji...i have tried a couple todaijis and a couple ranjatai. been heating a fat sample yesterday and today. i got a sample with my last order....insane kyara. extreme difference in aroma within every 10-15c. this one started very milky salty sweet almost like tropicana tanning oil in jamaica from 60c to about 80c. around 90it stopped the salty completely vanished and went full face kyara elegance with a legendary orchid like aroma that stirs the soul and it turned bitter sweet, by 110 a spicyness showed up, at 120 a acidic sourness that is so so gorgeous and like no other which is the gem of this whole kyara...i know it sounds strange that a sour acid aroma would be pleasant but this is a very strange sour not like a lemon or a sour sour, it is like an acidic extremely elegant incense stick at room temp but with that orchid note throughout. 140 it gets stronger and 150 it gets even stronger it just gets stronger and stronger and the aroma is just better and better as the temp increases. such an elegant and complex kyara.

the effects are so amazing, hazy atmosphere as if that which my eyes arent focusing on are hazy. very excited feelings notes and they are soaring.
 
Back
Top