Heating a small piece of Merauke AQ by TOL, yet again.

Stunning wood, this scent must be the legendary vintage profile the connoisseurs in the Gulf were burning decades ago.
On the sub at low heat, the very top notes give off a green Kinamic vapour before the earthy tones & florals emerge. Spicy sweet resinous vanillic-leather-incense towards the tail end of the burn. Brilliant!
 

Aloeswood Wood Chips Jinkoh - Matsu​

I have been reluctant to care for these uniform almost lacquered chips. At first smoke I detected a slight chemical odor and eschewed them for months. The lack of providence annoys me as well, but I find myself enjoying them for a change. Their lightness, a balance of flowers and fruit.

Reminds me how much I appreciate the Bukit Minyak, Penang, Malaysia - from Maunamoku.
 
Today's session:

- Another toc bong piece:

very nice, colder than the one I got and more loud. I like both of them.

- Sabah:
nice earthy woody green, love this profile especially the high grade pieces.

- Vietnamase wood:
seems to be low grade, didn't liked that much and I stopped heating it. might use charcoal or subitism next time.

- Blue oil kyara:
smells like high end Brunei agarwood with mintiness, lacking the full kyara picture (the sweet part is very toned down), but still a high grade piece.

- Purple Kyara:
Mash Allah! I ended the session with this purple loud ice kyara. better sweet acidic but in a balance way. very nice one, maybe one of my best kyara.
 
heated some fusen redsoil incense sticks today on the kinam heater, very perfumy! fumigated my kitchen after the kinam heater on the stove at 100c and then i tried to light one up and horrible disgusting smell. but gorgeous on kinamheater and sub...i really do not have a clue how people like lighting incense sticks on fire. smells like burnt wood lol

now i remembered an old friend from vietnam, linhs fusen sticks from 2019....they were from his personal stash...these sticks i lit and snort the smoke they released and the aroma was breathtaking gorgeous i wish i could have some now. it is to this day in my memory one of the most mystical scents i have smelled. the aroma was that which you would never forget and always wish you could have and it hurts in my stomach that i will never see this aroma again. the effects were time bending extreme haze around me and as if everything has paused and was extremely quiet and blissfull and i felt like a ghost in heaven...the sunlight was comming in through the holes of my shades and the sun laser beams carried the light...was such a zen experience. vietnam might not have kinam any more but they sure do have amazing fusen.

years later in 2022-23 a friend got a batch of some fusen from him and they werent anything like it, but they were alright.
 
Sinking Jayapura from Yusa Aromatics

Pulled this one out again today after seeing a few posts recently. I recommend skipping the ceramic heaters and going straight for high heat sub or coal and mica. The resin is super dense and needs the high heat to get the most out of it, but once you do you'll be greeted with a most calming, cozy profile. Bubbling resin produces the ouddy notes you would expect, but with a sublime incense note overtop - luminous, light and bright. Together with the coziness of resin and the base notes it transforms the energy of the interior space.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Sinking Jayapura from Yusa Aromatics

Pulled this one out again today after seeing a few posts recently. I recommend skipping the ceramic heaters and going straight for high heat sub or coal and mica. The resin is super dense and needs the high heat to get the most out of it, but once you do you'll be greeted with a most calming, cozy profile. Bubbling resin produces the ouddy notes you would expect, but with a sublime incense note overtop - luminous, light and bright. Together with the coziness of resin and the base notes it transforms the energy of the interior space.

View attachment 41232View attachment 41233View attachment 41234View attachment 41235
A few more pics of another piece of the same.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I thought I would start sharing some of my sessions.

A few small slivers of White Kyara from Kos

Ethereal, sweet, pastel texture, white florals, some mintiness with a cooling sensation. Stunning at 110 degrees C. More bittersweet and higher pitched at increased temps. beautiful. Makes my head vibrate with accompanied feelings of relaxation, peace and a beautiful cooling breeze.
 
its brunei agarwood
There is no such thing as brunei kinam/kyara
Controversy brother =)
Wild black brunei kyara from kyarashrine.

Really nice kyara experience for a fraction of kyara prices. I would recommend it for those interested in such things but don’t want to spend $1,500-$2,500 a gram.
What you getting of it?
Today's session:

- Another toc bong piece:

very nice, colder than the one I got and more loud. I like both of them.

- Sabah:
nice earthy woody green, love this profile especially the high grade pieces.

- Vietnamase wood:
seems to be low grade, didn't liked that much and I stopped heating it. might use charcoal or subitism next time.

- Blue oil kyara:
smells like high end Brunei agarwood with mintiness, lacking the full kyara picture (the sweet part is very toned down), but still a high grade piece.

- Purple Kyara:
Mash Allah! I ended the session with this purple loud ice kyara. better sweet acidic but in a balance way. very nice one, maybe one of my best kyara.
About blue oil i would say its closer to tarakan because of its sourness and Milkyness, still its different in many ways in core and the refining of notes.
Still its medicinal levels is way higher than both imo.
 
Sarawak - Al Shareef Oudh.
Some of the finest Agarwood in my modest collection. Dense hard pieces of wood heavily striped with red & black hues of resin. Not only does the wood look & feel beautiful, the scent is heavenly.
When heating vintage Malaysian Oud of this character, I’m reminded of my love for this region; East Malaysia, Brunei, Kalimantan. Warm spices, dates / plum, flowers, earthy, soft leather, vanilla with a glorious present musk note. The scent of antiquity & more pure time.
Wood of this calibre, I don’t take it for granted. It’s a blessing that I’ve been able to experience this aroma when most people in the west don’t have any idea something so beautiful even exists.

I’d highly recommend any Ouddict to pick up at least 10g. Mostly, I don’t like to talk about price as it’s subjective & a private matter, but for $220 it’s a wonderful deal for the grade of vintage wood you’ll receive!
 
Last edited:
heating the top rakoku from bro @iori and the scent is top 5 scents i ever smell. by the way...top 5 is 5 groups of wood and each number has probably 10 woods that i love equaly.....lol...

60-140 is just incredible uniqueness and unexplainable aroma. after that i get mid grade tarakan/indo/somethins like that which isnt nothing special but man oh man the 60-140 is out of this world. i dont know how it is possible for a wood to smell so incredible for half the heating method 100/10 amazing aroma and then higher heat is just a normal grade 5/10 wood. pretty cool. this is the type of wood you can do magic tricks with. bro, you cut me some and i will carve marble statue of you
 
Green Todai-ji Kyara from brother Kosmas (@language scent) 20 min session 5 mins on 140c then went to 160c just to see what the note differences would be and holy potatoes, it was so rich, and green and white. But now I know why it is green, kos.

Creaminess with vanilla, florals, milkiness, sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate, earthiness, (temp goes to 160c and holy shit the already sweet and gourmand notes take out any sandalwood gourmand-ness in a heartbeat, so fucking incredible I didn't want to stop and come and report this, I just wanted to sit in it forever) with sweet, bitter and salty notes balanced perfectly with the forest/jungle greenery, very rich, freshly baked chocolate cookies, oceanic breezes and some tropical fruits and some acidic note right at the end of the 20 min session (timed on the Kinam heater with computer monitor off so I didnt get distracted).

Amazing Kyara that would have honestly been out of my reach without Kosmas. Thank you brother!!! I like this more than Fuji Smoke now, as you suspected. Now I cant wait to play with lower temps when I have a fresh session.

And I could actually TASTE the bitter and saltiness!!! Insane. Oh yeah, and it was a bit numbing.
 
Last edited:
Green Todai-ji Kyara from brother Kosmas (@language scent) 20 min session 5 mins on 140c then went to 160c just to see what the note differences would be and holy potatoes, it was so rich, and green and white. But now I know why it is green, kos.

Creaminess with vanilla, florals, milkiness, sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate, earthiness, (temp goes to 160c and holy shit the already sweet and gourmand notes take out any sandalwood gourmand-ness in a heartbeat, so fucking incredible I didn't want to stop and come and report this, I just wanted to sit in it forever) with sweet, bitter and salty notes balanced perfectly with the forest/jungle greenery, very rich, freshly baked chocolate cookies, oceanic breezes and some tropical fruits and some acidic note right at the end of the 20 min session (timed on the Kinam heater with computer monitor off so I didnt get distracted).

Amazing Kyara that would have honestly been out of my reach without Kosmas. Thank you brother!!! I like this more than Fuji Smoke now, as you suspected. Now I cant wait to play with lower temps when I have a fresh session.

And I could actually TASTE the bitter and saltiness!!! Insane. Oh yeah, and it was a bit numbing.

Viewing these kyara exchanges from the sidelines, it is interesting seeing the impact of languagescent's presence here. I think it's generally good luck to be caught up in the wake of somebody who is surging in some kind of field of exploration or hobby, and there has been a real blossoming /deepening of discussion of kyara and kinam notes and properties here that is unique and valuable to the community.
 
Green Todai-ji Kyara from brother Kosmas (@language scent) 20 min session 5 mins on 140c then went to 160c just to see what the note differences would be and holy potatoes, it was so rich, and green and white. But now I know why it is green, kos.

Creaminess with vanilla, florals, milkiness, sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate, earthiness, (temp goes to 160c and holy shit the already sweet and gourmand notes take out any sandalwood gourmand-ness in a heartbeat, so fucking incredible I didn't want to stop and come and report this, I just wanted to sit in it forever) with sweet, bitter and salty notes balanced perfectly with the forest/jungle greenery, very rich, freshly baked chocolate cookies, oceanic breezes and some tropical fruits and some acidic note right at the end of the 20 min session (timed on the Kinam heater with computer monitor off so I didnt get distracted).

Amazing Kyara that would have honestly been out of my reach without Kosmas. Thank you brother!!! I like this more than Fuji Smoke now, as you suspected. Now I cant wait to play with lower temps when I have a fresh session.

And I could actually TASTE the bitter and saltiness!!! Insane. Oh yeah, and it was a bit numbing.
Just you wait until you heat it another couple times it’s craY and to think this isn’t the top grade todaiji o have another two different ones that blow it away in the early 60-120
 
Viewing these kyara exchanges from the sidelines, it is interesting seeing the impact of languagescent's presence here. I think it's generally good luck to be caught up in the wake of somebody who is surging in some kind of field of exploration or hobby, and there has been a real blossoming /deepening of discussion of kyara and kinam notes and properties here that is unique and valuable to the community.
I am saving so I can be a vendor on ouddict. Problem is I get shown kyara weekly and I end up wasting this cash Everytime 🤣 I love to explore much more than I think about being a seller. Sucks they don’t let me sell wood but it’s ok I just share with friends
 
There is no such thing as brunei kinam/kyara
to be fair, I genuinely don't care 🙂

as we've all gone around and over many times - it's the end user experience and not the label or classification which is the importance.

if ya'll wanna debate or disagree that this wood is not kyara - that is fine by me, it makes 0.00% difference regardless.

if there's a bigger issue, then take it up with Hina since she is the one who labeled it as such and I, the consumer, and am just using the label for the product that she sold me.

when I smell it, It does not smell like Brunei wood. if I was given a blind sample, I would guess some kind of kyara-esque from a region that I could not name.

but at the end of the day, you're the kyara expert here and have seen and tried more kyara than I can count, so I'll defer to and agree with whatever assessment you feel inclined to make 🙂
 
Back
Top