Okay, first of all that is a incense burner but yes, similar to the tea light one 😀
I burned them all on charcoal with the small classic bukhoor burner you can see right next to it. Didn’t chop anything, the woods turned black after burning.
On the incense burner I only used copal & frankincense (which turned into liquid), because the complexity of the scents get lost on charcoal. Much faster & smokier (don‘t like).
I have to get a electrical one soon lol.
 
What are you using there to burn? It doesn't look exactly like an actual full piece of coal, just wondering if you are using normal, non incense coal in a pot then lighting it? Gave me some ideas for direct coal burning haha.
It’s a tiny polo candy sized quick light coal, ignited very quick with very little initial accelerant scent. Pretty nice for single sessions. It ashes quickly and lasts around 30 minutes. From https://charcoaldot.com/ don’t know if they ship internationally.

I usually use a mica plate over ashed coals but this time I tried it without. one piece burnt a little but the other was fine because it was full of oil.
 
Normally i cycle through woods a lot to understand them more and enjoy what they represent.
Lately i been doing this one often...it's gorgeousness level is off the charts.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Oie Ryu Kyara "Obsolete words"
 
Normally i cycle through woods a lot to understand them more and enjoy what they represent.
Lately i been doing this one often...it's gorgeousness level is off the charts.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Oie Ryu Kyara "Obsolete words"
Perfect name I am guessing!
 
Vintage Tongan Sandalwood Roots - Kangiiten.

Kangiiten mention ‘dulce de leche’ in their product description & I understand the reference. Although it’s missing the bright citrusy floral notes that I often perceive in Mysore wood, I’m getting plenty of the lactonic, buttery, creamy notes in addition to an earthy powdery quality.
As I bump the temp on the sub slightly higher, the profile becomes spicier & perhaps caramel like, maybe it’s the power of suggestion? Regardless this wood is definitely one of sweeter Sandalwood’s I’ve heated. It must contain a high level of Santalol as the wood appears slightly oily & the room temp aroma is strong.

I highly recommend this batch of wood, it smells great on the sub & it’s amazing bang for your buck. 50g I won’t be running out anytime soon.
 
Last edited:
Normally i cycle through woods a lot to understand them more and enjoy what they represent.
Lately i been doing this one often...it's gorgeousness level is off the charts.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Oie Ryu Kyara "Obsolete words"
I enjoy my woods differently as repeated, consecutive sessions allows me to understand the nuances better. Usually, I’ll heat the same wood for 3-4 days, I receive a much better understanding this way.

The piece of Kyara looks beautiful. It’s almost a shame to heat it something so visually attractive. I bet it smells better than it looks, however!
 
Baieido Tsukigase Vietnamese on the tea light burner. Not sure how old the stock is, but at least 12 years or so. I don't feel like I got the temperature right, it was still very pleasant but not real strong impressions this time. Nice bitter sweet scent, maybe a waft or two of florals. i'm going to try this again and see if I can tease out some associations.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Baieido Tsukigase Vietnamese on the tea light burner. Not sure how old the stock is, but at least 12 years or so. I don't feel like I got the temperature right, it was still very pleasant but not real strong impressions this time. Nice bitter sweet scent, maybe a waft or two of florals. i'm going to try this again and see if I can tease out some associations.

View attachment 41479
Aww is that what it looks like? I know where to buy it that ships to me, but the full 5g is quite expensive for what it is, but this looks quite nice, might buy it at some point. It is £90-95 for me, after delivery.
 
Aww is that what it looks like? I know where to buy it that ships to me, but the full 15g is quite expensive for what it is, but this looks quite nice, might buy it at some point.
This was the better pack of two that I purchased. The previous pack had a fair amount of bunk wood in it. I suspect somebody was high grading the packages sold to me the first time, there's no bunk in this particular batch. to be safe I would suggest asking for a picture of the contents of the envelope. It's usually sold all packaged up in an origami envelope and an outer cellophane wrap.

I bought it in 2012ish but it was from a store that was close to going out of business that opened in 2002 and they used to carry a lot of baieido stock and did not have a customer base interested in the higher priced items which just sat on the shelf or in the back for years, so that may be more like 22 years old
 
This was the better pack of two that I purchased. The previous pack had a fair amount of bunk wood in it. I suspect somebody was high grading the packages sold to me the first time, there's no bunk in this particular batch. to be safe I would suggest asking for a picture of the contents of the envelope. It's usually sold all packaged up in an origami envelope and an outer cellophane wrap.

I bought it in 2012ish but it was from a store that was close to going out of business that opened in 2002 and they used to carry a lot of baieido stock and did not have a customer base interested in the higher priced items which just sat on the shelf or in the back for years, so that may be more like 22 years old
Do you think it would be a better idea to go with his? https://scents-of-earth.com/jinkoh-aloeswood-chips-baieido/
 
Do you think it would be a better idea to go with his? https://scents-of-earth.com/jinkoh-aloeswood-chips-baieido/
If those chips or like they used to be it will be a salty Indonesian style, pretty clean but with a little bit of a labdanum residue on walls and furniture which my ex said smelled like unwashed bottom. I believe these boxes are specifically created and sold to religious practitioners for ritual use in Japan. I think that's what David Oller said. There is a finer grade for about $110+ a box (somehow that price hasn't changed in the last 15 years…).

I think when you get the woods in the envelope you are at a higher tier - they are specific regional types of a specific profile not coarse chipped granules mixtures for burning on trails and the like.
 
If those chips or like they used to be it will be a salty Indonesian style, pretty clean but with a little bit of a labdanum residue on walls and furniture which my ex said smelled like unwashed bottom. I believe these boxes are specifically created and sold to religious practitioners for ritual use in Japan. I think that's what David Oller said. There is a finer grade for about $110+ a box (somehow that price hasn't changed in the last 15 years…).

I think when you get the woods in the envelope you are at a higher tier - they are specific regional types of a specific profile not coarse chipped granules mixtures for burning on trails and the like.
I think I am gonna go with this when I can, just to see what Baieidos woods are like raw, since I only smell them through their incense sticks:
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I think I am gonna go with this when I can, just to see what Baieidos woods are like raw, since I only smell them through their incense sticks: View attachment 41516
I don't know what Hakusui is like today but that was really nice stuff the last time I smelled it which was like 15 years ago.

Another old baieido reseller that has been around a long time is Sensia.com - might be worth asking if they have any old stock
 
Back
Top