IMG_6896.jpeg


Got samples of merauke Asgon gyrinops chips. It’s one of my favorites, requires a high heat and has a nice earthy, vanilla Smokey scent.
This sample is a low grade super wood, smells more like normal burnt wood and has little resin. Not enjoyable by itself. But luckily merauke oud has a light, sponge like property that allows it to soak whatever you put on it. This time I put a drop of peppermint oil on it and let it burn releasing a spicy minty woody smell that fills the room, replacing the shrimp fried rice odor in the living room.

Merauke oud like this is often cheap and is used to make oud muattar (oud soaked with oud oil and other aromatics). It is very rare to find high grade and even sinking grade is extremely rare.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 41594

Got samples of merauke Asgon gyrinops chips. It’s one of my favorites, requires a high heat and has a nice earthy, vanilla Smokey scent.
This sample is a low grade super wood, smells more like normal burnt wood and has little resin. Not enjoyable by itself. But luckily merauke oud has a light, sponge like property that allows it to soak whatever you put on it. This time I put a drop of peppermint oil on it and let it burn releasing a spicy peppery woody smell that fills the room, replacing the shrimp fried rice odor in the living room.

Merauke oud like this is often cheap and is used to make oud muattar (oud soaked with oud oil and other aromatics). It is very rare to find high grade and even sinking grade is extremely rare.
I believe I have something like this from ASO. Definitely likes a higher temperature, and definitely some very nice material
 
mesOUD Pursat

Floral first, then resin and nutty,
yummmm
Thanks for your recommendation brother. I’m heating a small piece again today, perceiving a vivid Cambodi Kinam note plus the florals & deep Oudy Crassna resin. It’s excellent wood & for the price you can’t go wrong!
A classical Cambodi profile of years gone by.
 
Last edited:
I believe I have something like this from ASO. Definitely likes a higher temperature, and definitely some very nice material
The Oud Lab’s - Merauke AQ is a similar story. I feel as though most Merauke woods perform better at a higher temp. After a few failed attempts, I found the sweet spot & it’s ethereal which is rather atypical for Merauke wood in my opinion.
In the very top note a pristine-pretty, minty, green-floral, jungle camphor aroma is present confirming the high grade of this batch. Shortly after, a regal dark aroma of Merauke resin reveals itself.

I highly recommend this vintage wood, after sampling 5 or so different batches of Merauke, TOL’s is the best I’ve encountered.
AT is a master curator, he has a fine nose & manages to select very fine examples time & time again.

Unfortunately, I missed out on ASO’s Merauke.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 41594

Got samples of merauke Asgon gyrinops chips. It’s one of my favorites, requires a high heat and has a nice earthy, vanilla Smokey scent.
This sample is a low grade super wood, smells more like normal burnt wood and has little resin. Not enjoyable by itself. But luckily merauke oud has a light, sponge like property that allows it to soak whatever you put on it. This time I put a drop of peppermint oil on it and let it burn releasing a spicy minty woody smell that fills the room, replacing the shrimp fried rice odor in the living room.

Merauke oud like this is often cheap and is used to make oud muattar (oud soaked with oud oil and other aromatics). It is very rare to find high grade and even sinking grade is extremely rare.
Brother, see my post above. If you like the vintage Merauke profile, try out The Oud Labs - Merauke AQ for comparison. Same Asgon profile, I think you’ll be impressed.
 
Nah man it doesn't. I'll tag @-Renton- into this as he has some as well and has had the chance to study it a bit more than me.
Yes, it doesn't have that CK profile, and we all know what that smells like. Alex's Sinking Purple CK is worth $100 a gram, 110%. It was mind boggling to me when I first tried it, and since I have tried plenty of wild kyara's of very high quality, all Edo Periods and Todai-ji green and Todai-ji white (which, I believe are pre-edo), and actually have a collection building now, quite a small one, as of yet, but will get bigger with time. Of course, the sinking purple CK isn't EXACTLY like wild, and lacks the FULL complexity, but it is THE MOST COMPLEX CK WOOD I HAVE EVER CAME ACROSS!!! And I even have CK that is sold in Japan (which is 2nd best of my unaged CK's, first being Alex's sinking purple). It does not have the traditional cheap, YOUNG harvested CK you get EVERYWHERE. It has a very unique profile, and it does shock you that it does not smell like that CK profile, and I thought it was just me, but now that Nomad has also said the same thing, and he, same as me, has went through many Cultivated Kyara's, I am 110% certain that this CK is not normal CK, this is top shelf CK worth $100 a gram 100%. It is rather amazing actually, and you only need the same amount that you would use with a wild kyara to get a strong aroma. Even though wild purple is not a soft kyara, of course purple CK wont actually be the purple from the wild world, the colours on most CKs are just clones from the first CK which is green, so any CK colour that isn't green (I think anyway, is actually still green ck, just a different aroma profile, whereas the colours in Wild Kyara mean a lot more complex things that I have yet to learn fully).

So, anyway, since I have some experience with wild kyara, AND A LOT of experience with CK and actually aging CK myself, this CK is by far, the best CK I have ever tried, and it dose not smell like traditional CK. It is a beautiful wood.

And yes Brandon, I know you hate me for some weird reason, dunno what I done to make you hate me lol... we used to get on great. 😔
 
KyaraZen - Sinking Sumatora - Aquilaria. hirta.

Big session today, with weird but good notes that I have never really smelled from this wood before, and it was more sweet/spicy than the normal sour, it was really pleasant and very, very strong though, it sang like an opera singer which surprised me, then after a while I went up to the red light that is 180c on the UFO kangiiten heater, but I dont believe the heating element is 100% accurate on this heater, and it was starting to get less and less fragrant but I know it isn't done, so I am going to put it in a piece of paper and heat it on the kinam heater pretty soon, probably after the red soil kyara is finished (which will be another few days at least). I may also try it again on the Kangiiten heater and see if it unfolds any of its hidden tricks.

Sweet vanillic creaminess, resinous, chocolate muskiness, spiciness with a hint of mint, cooling, powdery perfumey-like purple note and some lovely fruitiness, with a bit of different creaminess that was more musky along side the chocolate smelling musk-like note, and a bit of sourness, but mainly sweet to start and then semi-sweet and dominantly spicy.

Absolutely lovely experience today with this wood. And also with my 30 - 40 min session with the red soil kyara which was very good, both of these heats today made me feel very happy, good nose day!!!

image_2024-10-27_191417681.png
 
Last edited:
mesOUD Pursat

I got some caramel notes this time😊
I don't know why but I love it that you're just consistently hitting that pursat. It's like you are ringing a bell drawing our attention to something - a clear signal through all the noise of new reviews and releases. Always good to see what people keep going back to.
 
I don't know why but I love it that you're just consistently hitting that pursat. It's like you are ringing a bell drawing our attention to something - a clear signal through all the noise of new reviews and releases. Always good to see what people keep going back to.
It’s also because I have a lot, and I prefer burning my Hainans, Cambodis, and Vietnamese before the other regions.
 
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


Indian char with a piece of Indian camphor.
Smells like I’m in heaven. Very, very beautiful, no off notes at all, the char is already a cold scent and the camphor just emphasized that, and brought out sweetness I never noticed before. It also left me feeling pretty euphoric, heady and got my brain feeling tingling. It also brought up a lot of phlegm from my chest.
 
View attachment 41654

Indian char with a piece of Indian camphor.
Smells like I’m in heaven. Very, very beautiful, no off notes at all, the char is already a cold scent and the camphor just emphasized that, and brought out sweetness I never noticed before. It also left me feeling pretty euphoric, heady and got my brain feeling tingling. It also brought up a lot of phlegm from my chest.
phlegm - interesting observation - can be used as an expectorant then
 
Back
Top