Burning some terangganu ant nest sinking before releasing it !

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Kangiiten - Brunei Beccariana, Some solid little chunks in this bottle, so it takes a bit to warm it up but everytime I go up it's slowly revealing itself. Very slight sour cherry,red berries which I believe may get stronger. This is coupled with a warm almost lavender or probably better to say "purple" note. So, definitely red berries AND purple lavender. Like an old linen drawer with lavender inside to keep insects away from the lace. Delicate and soft. Plenty of resin in these bits so they should go for quite a while. I wish I could take some worthwile close-up pictures of these woods.
Interesting, I’ll have to re visit this one, can’t say I got Lavender, but I probably wasn’t looking for it. Woods are much harder to analyse than oils. Detecting the subtle nuances requires a lot of practice!
I’ve only heated it once, but I got a classic Brunei profile; honeyed fruits, a touch of Musk, jungle camphor, a deep resinous Oudiness. However, like Kangiiten mentioned, there was a certain airy, crisp, cooling feeling in the very top note, perhaps that’s the Lavender you mentioned.

Btw, how’s the Pursat powder & West Malaysian chips treating you mate?
 
Interesting, I’ll have to re visit this one, can’t say I got Lavender, but I probably wasn’t looking for it. Woods are much harder to analyse than oils. Detecting the subtle nuances requires a lot of practice!
I’ve only heated it once, but I got a classic Brunei profile; honeyed fruits, a touch of Musk, jungle camphor, a deep resinous Oudiness. However, like Kangiiten mentioned, there was a certain airy, crisp, cooling feeling in the very top note, perhaps that’s the Lavender you mentioned.

Btw, how’s the Pursat powder & West Malaysian chips treating you mate?
Still waiting for my latest Kangiiten purchase. I seem to make a habit of buying stuff just after they have done their shipping for the week so have to wait longer for it to arrive. Re the Brunei B maybe lavender was the wrong word. That's what first came to mind though. I'm still going on this chunk and it gets better every time. This morning however, I turned on my ceramic and started warming it up. Once it reached optimal temp.. suddenly i couldn't smell it?! The jungle camphor you mentioned wiped my nose out completely and I had to turn it off because I could not smell a thing. This is the second time this has happened to me since getting into woods. Really bizarre. I might need a break.
 
Still waiting for my latest Kangiiten purchase. I seem to make a habit of buying stuff just after they have done their shipping for the week so have to wait longer for it to arrive. Re the Brunei B maybe lavender was the wrong word. That's what first came to mind though. I'm still going on this chunk and it gets better every time. This morning however, I turned on my ceramic and started warming it up. Once it reached optimal temp.. suddenly i couldn't smell it?! The jungle camphor you mentioned wiped my nose out completely and I had to turn it off because I could not smell a thing. This is the second time this has happened to me since getting into woods. Really bizarre. I might need a break.
Let me know what you think when you receive your order, even though they have sold out, I’m still intrigued.

Wow that is a bizarre occurrence regarding the Brunei wood! You mentioned you’ve been going at this piece for a bit, do you think it’s just possibly run out of juice?
 
Let me know what you think when you receive your order, even though they have sold out, I’m still intrigued.

Wow that is a bizarre occurrence regarding the Brunei wood! You mentioned you’ve been going at this piece for a bit, do you think it’s just possibly run out of juice?
Will do. 😁 It has but my sessions generally run for only between five and ten minutes so there should be some left in it. I'll chuck it on the sub tomorrow. I should be able to push it a bit further on that.
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Another night of grading buried Pinoy oud. This oud is hard to grade. It goes against all conventions, sometimes you get a rock hard sinking chip but when you put it on coals it burns right away into white ash as if it were firewood, and produces a burnt wood scent with no oil bubbling at all. And sometimes pieces that are very light and fragile give off a marvelous scent and gives tons of bubbling oil, luckily I have a small bag of already graded chips for reference.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

This pieces specifically burnt into a glob of oil and resin, and it smelled like a beautiful, wet bouquet of white flowers and honey. Ended the night with a pinch of ambergris, beginning to like it on coals!
 
Another night of grading buried Pinoy oud. This oud is hard to grade. It goes against all conventions, sometimes you get a rock hard sinking chip but when you put it on coals it burns right away into white ash as if it were firewood, and produces a burnt wood scent with no oil bubbling at all. And sometimes pieces that are very light and fragile give off a marvelous scent and gives tons of bubbling oil, luckily I have a small bag of already graded chips for reference.

View attachment 43585
This pieces specifically burnt into a glob of oil and resin, and it smelled like a beautiful, wet bouquet of white flowers and honey. Ended the night with a pinch of ambergris, beginning to like it on coals!
Strange how the lightest in weight can sometimes be the heaviest in oil, though it's generally the exception to the rule.
These, for example, float and are quite light in the hand. But with the heater each and every piece bubbles and reacts at very low teperatures with a strong (indonesian?) Musk.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
I also have sinking wood that takes a lot of effort to get anything out off, and even then it's a smokey, woody experience.
 
Strange how the lightest in weight can sometimes be the heaviest in oil, though it's generally the exception to the rule.
These, for example, float and are quite light in the hand. But with the heater each and every piece bubbles and reacts at very low teperatures with a strong (indonesian?) Musk. View attachment 43587 I also have sinking wood that takes a lot of effort to get anything out off, and even then it's a smokey, woody experience.
It either depends on the species of the oud or the method of extraction and curing.
Merauke Gyrinops Oud can be very light in the hand but produces lots of oil and smell.
 
Also, Burn of the day is sinking Maluku from mesoud. Beauty to look at, almost a shame to burn.
View attachment 43588View attachment 43589
Although it’s very beautiful, the aroma is better! The Iris / Violet top note is surreal. It’s the first time I’ve ever smelt a vivid Iris note in any wood, although I hear it’s a signature of Maluku woods.
 
Beautiful CK from Japan that I got last year from bro kos, that I've aged.

2 sessions highest temp 160-180c.

Kinamic mintiness and sweet red fruits, purple, white and red florals covered in honey with sour cherry notes, bittersweet creamy chocolate, subtle musky notes, balsamic and vanillic, bitter aloeswood and greenery notes with an earthiness tone. Sweet, spicy sour, candy, woody, licorice notes, refreshing oceanic notes, and a tad salty, and caramel.
20250124_150458.jpg
 
Back
Top