Maroke wood, bought this in Al Balad. These were the smaller pieces (break-aways) from larger pieces that the vendor had in a suit case. Absolute beauty. Very good for fumigating clothes.
Why is Merauke wood almost always presented in this way, smooth & polished…is it just part of the tradition?

If anyone knows please chime in!
 
Found a place in the souk that sells Indian sandalwood for a good price, he even let me choose the pieces I’d want. He sells it for people who make incense out of it, I looked through the billets and tried to get all the heartwood ones right for the middle of the tree.
In the process of cutting them into slices (which is HARD, sandalwood is so dense it’s a workout to saw it by hand) I accumulated this sandalwood powder. Now burning it on coal with a mica sheet. It’s sweet, vibrant and alive, very milky and thick, but ends with burnt wood which is expected. And leaves the room with a beautiful calming scent.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Why is Merauke wood almost always presented in this way, smooth & polished…is it just part of the tradition?

If anyone knows please chime in!
Why is Merauke wood almost always presented in this way, smooth & polished…is it just part of the tradition?

If anyone knows please chime in!
I think a lot of work goes into the surface appearance of certain grades of wood.
 
Maroke wood, bought this in Al Balad. These were the smaller pieces (break-aways) from larger pieces that the vendor had in a suit case. Absolute beauty. Very good for fumigating clothes.
Are you sure these aren’t “Muhassan”? The overwhelming majority of meraoke oud chips in the market are Muhassan which is very low grade meraoke oud chips (basically just wood) injected with aromatic oils, then polished to a high sheen.
The polishing isn’t a sure way to tell because even good grade meraoke oud is polished (burnished with smooth wooden tools), but it’s one sign.
Do you trust the seller?
 
Are you sure these aren’t “Muhassan”? The overwhelming majority of meraoke oud chips in the market are Muhassan which is very low grade meraoke oud chips (basically just wood) injected with aromatic oils, then polished to a high sheen.
The polishing isn’t a sure way to tell because even good grade meraoke oud is polished (burnished with smooth wooden tools), but it’s one sign.
Do you trust the seller?
Most definitely, if I ever come to Qatar I’ll get some with me haha!
 
Kangiiten - Malaysian Tigerwood. This is nice even at room temp smelling from the bottle so it's no surprise that it's putting out at low temps, like under 100 celsius low. I'm getting a nose numbing sweet menthol with a light pepper at the end. Great start. Will write more on this soon.
 
Malaysian Tigerwood - Kangiiten, second session today. I often find with woods and powders that depending on the density of the wood and the oil content I generally need to have multiple sessions on any given piece as it's like the wood needs to open up and let the heat distribute the oil throughout the entire chip etc. Hence every session is different than the last and will produce different notes as it goes through it's stages. Starting on 100 degrees and only going to 110 this powder is presenting very candy like notes but I'm also getting what is reminding me of Habzoud - Oud Boran for instance. It's got that lovely woody, dusty scent and yet oceanic at the same time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
3rd and 4th session today of Kangiiten - Malaysian Tigerwood. Lower temps are definitely where this wood shines I believe. I've pushed it now as far as I want it to go (185 degrees) and it's displaying notes that I'm not finding particularly pleasing. Mentholic to the point where it makes you blind but with something that follows that honestly reminds me of that metal? Has anyone ever put their tongue on the end of a battery to check whether it has a charge? If that taste of the battery had a smell that's what this wood smells like at a higher temp. Totally bizarre....I've just moved the powder onto my sub to double check it actually is the wood and not the batteries in my ceramic and I'm still getting the same "metal" note. I haven't got it stuck so close under my nose as before so it's not as noticeable but it's definitely still there. Hmm...I love how agarwood makes you question reality lol. 😱🤪
 
Back
Top