Kangiiten - West Malaysian chips. Alright, so I cranked the ceramic up quite high as that's what it felt like these shavings needed and boy did it pay off! These chips are going to deliver I do believe, but only, I think on the sub. I was getting candy apple notes from it. You know that mixture of sweet red sugar but slightly tart apple as well. Really nice.
 
Kangiiten - West Malaysian chips. Alright, so I cranked the ceramic up quite high as that's what it felt like these shavings needed and boy did it pay off! These chips are going to deliver I do believe, but only, I think on the sub. I was getting candy apple notes from it. You know that mixture of sweet red sugar but slightly tart apple as well. Really nice.
it is interesting - some stuff really needs that high temp to release its aroma. I think this has something to the idea of resinfication - some molecules that are aromatic on their own combine over time due to oxygen, light, heat, to form resins... the resins then need to be partly decomposed with high heat in order for it to begin to release aromatic things...

Any chemists want to chime in here? I am speculating
 
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
Bit of pursat wood, interesting on lower temp
 
Mega burn session today, on a quarter of a circular charcoal, waited until completely ashen but solid

- @The Oud Lab Daily Burn Merauke - I tried this once before, on a much lower heat, that was the wrong way to do it! On nearly full strength the aroma was herbal and sweet, and like nothing else, the love for Merauke is not unwarranted! It was jungle-ly but a combination of jungle soul incased in resin, slightly humid and soil infused.
- Then because I still can't believe it, a fingernail piece of Sokkat AlTeeb's Cambodi Gold Skins, did not disappoint in the least.
- an old piece of frankincense which hadn't burned completely, and was fused to a piece of TOL's Naga Ken. The Frank emitted its gentle yet full smoke and started off great but I think I put it on too soon, or should have used something to insulate a heat a bit, not terrible but could have been better. Naga Ken was stuck to the side of the Frank and it was enjoyed at the end of the session, keep reading.
- then I used the tiny piece of bakhoor I got as a sample from Maysam Co based in Taif, incredible aroma, based around Merauke chips and loads of Taifi rose oil and aged shamama, quintessentially what I would describe as Bayt Al Arab. The two slivers I used lasted for longer than I expected.
- some Walla Patta shavings from @SULAYM these are gorgeous not surprised there
- Finally you might be wondering what happened to the Naga Ken piece, well when the charcoal started to break down I ended up pushing it into the ash and I got the experience of low temp profile and after a little bit the high heat profile, which for this Hindi is beautiful cough syrup, which overjoys me from within! To say I was surprised doesn't cover half of it, this piece of Naga Ken was blackened yet was pumping out expectational oudy notes. In fact I noticed this with the Daily Burn Merauke as well.

Overall I might have used a gram in total not counting the frankincense, but what I solidified in my learning today was, keep your burned pieces they still might have quite a lot to give!

Edit: I forgot to add I think I might have left some Kua Myrrh from Socotra Island from @Al Hashimi underneath the charcoal, because as I've been walking around I'm getting the delicate whisps of this, and Merauke smoke. Kua Myrrh is beautiful but it doesn't work well on charcoal, leave it for heaters. One of my favorite aromatics but if only it was as tolerant as Frankincense all would be good. It smells like musky peach or apricot when heated, its subtle but mesmerizing.
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

A very generous friend gifted me this piece of Kinam. 1.19g total weight.
I burnt a sliver of it on coals over a mica sheet. I cannot describe how good it smells, it’s bitter herbal deep green, camphor minty notes but not too sharp, like dried mint leaves in a cup of tea, with notes of dark aged vanilla. Very very beautiful, I will cherish it forever.
 
Sage resin that I extracted! It is one of the most beautiful sweet spicy aromatics I have ever smelled! Very close to Lebanese hashish. It doesn’t smell like the actual plant which smells menthol ice and herbal, it is very different. I extracted .3g from 80grams of sage leaf (salvia fruticosa) I did a total of 500 grams and got about probably 1.2g about. I might as well show some pictures here and add a couple more info

Unbelievable effects and aroma. The effects are without a doubt narcotic, there is an extremely smooth feeling of ease and focus relaxation that feels like you took medication.

It was super hard to do it and I used traditional hashish sieving methods and static to purify it. I believe that if you were to freeze the plant and also alcohol and did a quick wash it could cause these glandular capsules of essential oils to erupt and be extracted into the alcohol before the plants inner cell aromatics had the time to do the same cause to get a solvent less extraction of these glands requires extreme skill. The end material is purely gold. The greenish tint one was before the static technique was implicated. It was such a pain to remove the fuzzy material that is abundant on the leaves. I dropped it all on a mesh and tapped the mesh with something so the heavy glands fall through but the fuzzy material didn’t unless it was taken down with the glands, so I repeated the process a couple times. I also used parchment and static to further clean it. I will add some macro shots when I make a post on the process in case someone wants to attempt it.

If you are a perfumer I strongly recommend this material it is ridiculous and you would not believe your nose and that it is the same plant. Resin smells so sweet and spicy without the sage aroma even tho it is there very lightly it is hardly noticeable
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    EB35194E-677C-46DC-A8FB-06C53C08E7E5.webp
    137.4 KB · Views: 48
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    DF0F0FD7-312C-44D9-A7DB-CAF54C494C48.webp
    121.7 KB · Views: 58
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    EA110374-F3E5-4007-A9DC-79E1D947ADF1.webp
    111.9 KB · Views: 53
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    310D3F1D-A2C5-4A0D-BA7F-D3F544F71085.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 62
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    060BC6BA-3C46-40F1-8215-B2439F2A1C0B.webp
    96.5 KB · Views: 61
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    0C3D5810-213C-4F8D-BC1B-9EEFDA4EDDA2.webp
    195.5 KB · Views: 56
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    5B21056A-B1BA-429F-BF23-C1F1943EA650.webp
    105.6 KB · Views: 55
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    FB485B7C-E8A3-46B7-AB70-D8AA8EC073DD.webp
    234.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
View attachment 43995
A very generous friend gifted me this piece of Kinam. 1.19g total weight.
I burnt a sliver of it on coals over a mica sheet. I cannot describe how good it smells, it’s bitter herbal deep green, camphor minty notes but not too sharp, like dried mint leaves in a cup of tea, with notes of dark aged vanilla. Very very beautiful, I will cherish it forever.
I forgot, there’s this feeling I can’t describe, it’s not a note that I smell per say more like a sensation in the nose and lungs, it’s very relaxing and almost mind buzzing.
 
I have quite a few wood chips that smell OK if you get them hot enough or wait a little while but have that stink at first… I find it kind of revolting because I don't know what that surface material is. I assume it's a combination of residue from handling and just absorbed scent from all of the things in the various environments it has been in over the years.

I had one nugget that I actually tried scrubbing under hot water with a wire brush to remove any surface residue / oils and that to improved it a bit. Also had a bigger nugget with surface stank and i just chipped off all the outer wood and put it in one jar, moved the inner untouched/pristine wood to a different one.

On that topic, I've seen a few Instagram posts with old antique wood chips that look extremely polished and smoothed, like they have been handled 1000 times, and I find myself wondering what the implications are of material like that being handled so much that it ends up becoming polished and weathered. I know some / most of these are polished deliberately as part of the craft of cleaning and presenting the wood, but it always has me wondering
 
Last edited:
Back
Top