This afternoon I had a nice little burning session of some black meat santal wood from Kangiiten, and then a nice chunk of cultivated Kinam from Areej Le Dore (A friend gave me a couple pieces if the Kinam that came with the heritage collection).
The session was accompanied by a nice brew of Mountain Stream Teas - Old Master Dong Ding Oolong (spring 2024).

Unfortunately, I think my coal was a bit too hot and the kinam chip burned much too quick and hot. I think I will stick to my electric heater for kinam next time.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    PXL_20250214_193126787.PORTRAIT.webp
    134.1 KB · Views: 86
This afternoon I had a nice little burning session of some black meat santal wood from Kangiiten, and then a nice chunk of cultivated Kinam from Areej Le Dore (A friend gave me a couple pieces if the Kinam that came with the heritage collection).
The session was accompanied by a nice brew of Mountain Stream Teas - Old Master Dong Ding Oolong (spring 2024).

Unfortunately, I think my coal was a bit too hot and the kinam chip burned much too quick and hot. I think I will stick to my electric heater for kinam next time.
The electric heater is definitely the way to go for CK. A chip of that can go for hours or even days on a low steady heat. Same with the sandalwood. Try them both together next time. The combo will blow your socks off.
 
I have quite a few wood chips that smell OK if you get them hot enough or wait a little while but have that stink at first… I find it kind of revolting because I don't know what that surface material is. I assume it's a combination of residue from handling and just absorbed scent from all of the things in the various environments it has been in over the years.

I had one nugget that I actually tried scrubbing under hot water with a wire brush to remove any surface residue / oils and that to improved it a bit. Also had a bigger nugget with surface stank and i just chipped off all the outer wood and put it in one jar, moved the inner untouched/pristine wood to a different one.

On that topic, I've seen a few Instagram posts with old antique wood chips that look extremely polished and smoothed, like they have been handled 1000 times, and I find myself wondering what the implications are of material like that being handled so much that it ends up becoming polished and weathered. I know some / most of these are polished deliberately as part of the craft of cleaning and presenting the wood, but it always has me wondering
Fair enough question as well. Wood is porous afterall so it stands to reason it would take in oils from a persons hand etc. That is pretty gross.
 
I bought a very nice wool shirt jacket second hand and received it today. You can’t really wash wool so I aired it out for a while then wore it while I burned Sintang Borneo chips on a coal. Feels right making it my own by bathing it in oud smoke.

The chips are excellent. Bright menthol/lemon like top with sweet and musky vanilla and a good dose of oudy resin. I’ve had some pieces show a little hint of cherry/almond in the top as well. Really nice wood.
 
The electric heater is definitely the way to go for CK. A chip of that can go for hours or even days on a low steady heat. Same with the sandalwood. Try them both together next time. The combo will blow your socks off.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Lesson learned for sure. Are coals recommended over heater for other types of oud chips?
 
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Lesson learned for sure. Are coals recommended over heater for other types of oud chips?
It's not that you can't use coal for CK, you just want the coal to be well ashed over before you put the chip onto it so rather than that mucking around and being a modern age it's easier to go with the ceramic heater cause then you can set and forget. CK and sandalwood for that matter also go well in brass tealight heaters. They're cheap to purchase and quite attractive, easy to use as long as you have a candle. At least one member on here that I'm aware of uses a ceramic heater also for other types of agarwood chips. I've not tried it myself even though I own one of those types. It does say on the dial that it can get up to around 300 degrees I think? He's even shown some pictures of his chips bubbling so it definitely works.
 
Sarawak - Al Shareef Oudh.

I’ve posted about this wood several times as it’s truely one of my favourites. I really appreciate the relationship once you’ve spent a great deal of time with a particular wood. You know it’s special, when you’ve heated it so many times but every session still blows your mind & your jaw drops because of how beautiful it is!

According to the ASO website the wood was harvested in 2000. ASO mentions the wood is full of ant holes, I’m not sure what exactly qualifies as ‘ant wood’ but my chunk has several ant holes which I’m assuming was the catalyst for the infection.

A very beautiful looking piece of old East Malaysian Oud. Overall, it has a reddish hue & contains black & dark red veins of resin-oil. Sarawak bubbles at a modest temperature which is indicative of the high level of oil present. However, like most woods in my collection, I don’t like to have temperature on the sub set to point where the wood vigorously bubbles, the sweet spot is just before, where you only just see the essential oil being released from the wood.

I’m not 100% certain, but I’m assuming Sarawak was sourced from old trees, the pieces are sinking & it has that ‘sinking’ aroma you only really experience in old quality wood. Floral - slightly indolic white flowers, warm spices, tobacco, sweet resins, dates-dried fruit with a heavenly vanilla-coumarin-leather incensey base note. Sarawak is less green-jungle-aromatic & more resinous gourmand with an old school dark Oudiness. It feels antique, the type of Oud being burnt in the Gulf 40+ years ago. A profile that is reminisced over!
 
Last edited:
View attachment 44092
Low grade trat oud chip soaked with sandalwood oil and lavender.
Interesting…. I’m intrigued by the combination of Oud & Lavender, Lavender is one of my favourite aromas & I’ve experimented by blending a French Lavender EO with Ensar’s Green Papua 2019. It smells lovely, exactly as I had imagined. I have this idea of creating a fougere with a Papuan Gyrinops base.
I also have a French Lavender absolute made by Abdullah @ Mellifluence, it’s pretty amazing! It has a great depth; powdery, sweet resinous, a vintage musky quality while still being a luminous fresh aromatic. I’m thinking of blending this one next.

I might just have to soak a chip with Lavender & heat it like you have here! Does it smell great?
 
Last edited:
Interesting…. I’m intrigued by the combination of Oud & Lavender, Lavender is one of my favourite aromas & I’ve experimented by blending French Lavender EO with Ensar’s Green Papua 2019. It smells lovely, exactly as I had imagined. I have this idea of creating a fougere with Papuan Gyrinops base.
I also have a French Lavender absolute made by Abdullah @ Mellifluence, it’s pretty amazing. It has a great depth, a powdery, sweet resinous, vintage musky quality while still being luminous fresh aromatic. I’m thinking of blending this next.

I might just have to soak a chip with Lavender & heat it like you have here! Does it smell great?
Papuan and Indonesia gyrinops oil is the perfect match for lavender and maybe even eucalyptus and similar oils. I say go for it.
I’ve never seen a lavender bukhoor before so I decided to try it out with oud that I didn’t like , in this case cultivated, poorly cleaned oud from trat, Thailand. It’s not something I’d burn by itself, it’s mostly woody and a little sweet, nothing to look forward to.
I mixed it like this : 1 part oud chips, 0.5 parts oil (sandalwood and lavender at around 4:1 ratio), and 0.5 part alcohol to dissolve the oils and allow them to permeate the chips easier and quicker.
I vacuum sealed everything together and left it for a day, then released it and allowed the alcohol to evaporate.
I used Indian sandalwood I think and French lavender. Smells quite good to be honest and there’s no burnt scent or offnotes, but I’d recommend you test each ingredient by itself on coals, then on cool coals, then on a coal with mica sheet on top. Just to see how each ingredient smells in different temperatures.
I noticed that most oud oils (yes natural pure ones) can smell bad when placed on coals, so it’s better to dilute a few drops in sandalwood oil and use that.

The same procedure (diluting in alcohol, then soaking the chips) can be done with labdanum resin, benzoin, myrrh and frankincense, rose oils work too but they smell faint and it’s not worth wasting it.
Just test yourself,put a drop of each oil you have on ashy coals and see how it smells and if it can be improved.
 
Jayapura powder - Kangiiten. Once you push this powder up to 150 degrees and higher it changes completely and you almost wouldn't know it's the same stuff as earlier. It starts with a very strong warming menthol that sent me a bit blind. I gave it a break for 20mins then pushed the temp higher. Now at 165 that menthol has gone and is replaced with lovely red berries. Still a little hint of the spices. The transitions are wild with this one.
 
Back
Top