CK from @Al Shareef Oudh - on a low heat, the wood is slowly turning a little bit darker and I have just this lovely sweet aroma teasing me… Coming and going.

Edit; turned up the heat another 10% and now I’m getting a wonderful spice under the sweetness. I can’t describe the smells accurately enough, but these are literally transporting me to another time and place.

Almost like I have no nostalgia for something I didn’t actually experience myself… Hundreds or thousands of years ago. I can’t say more than that. It’s just amazing!
Very nicely put. For others reading this that are searching for CK, the wood that ASO offers is really quite different and on another level from other CK's I've tried. I'm guessing it's been aged for quite a while and is definitely not your run of the mill kind. That and the CK from Sulyam also.
 
Wild Burma Triple Super from PureOudh.com
This was provided as a free gift with another purchase and on medium heat its very mellow, smooth, sweet and creamy. I do sense a difference in how this wood looks compared to, say, my Sarawak from @Al Shareef Oudh - ASOs wood is dark colored all the way through, where the PureOudh wood in this case is thinner coated... it has resin on one side only and when I chop it the resin is pretty thin on the surface, compared to non resinated wood. The ASO wood is solid resin all the way through. As to the difference in smells, I need more time and sampling... onward...
 
Fumigating clouds of antnest, appreciating the dark silence of night
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
First time trying these lovely little chips from @McOudtrade of the Japanese temple wood Nishi Hongan - Ji. After carefully scraping a chip into my ceramic, I brought the heat up slowly but wasn't getting any love to around 150 in which it started to release warm mentholic notes. From there I climbed reasonably quickly to 180 at which point it started poring vapour. More menthol but with a hint of vanilla and bitter tea notes? Lots to study here. This piece anyway prefers a higher heat end of the scale. I might try a bit on the sub next.
 
First time trying these lovely little chips from @McOudtrade of the Japanese temple wood Nishi Hongan - Ji. After carefully scraping a chip into my ceramic, I brought the heat up slowly but wasn't getting any love to around 150 in which it started to release warm mentholic notes. From there I climbed reasonably quickly to 180 at which point it started poring vapour. More menthol but with a hint of vanilla and bitter tea notes? Lots to study here. This piece anyway prefers a higher heat end of the scale. I might try a bit on the sub next.
I'm glad you're enjoying!
This is definitely one of those woods that rewards study. It amazes me how some wood reveals so much over time.
Funny story actually. For some context, I haven't posted it here to avoid blowing my own horn, but this has been my consistent daily burn for about a month. Even with woods that are objectively "higher grade", I find myself reaching for this one. More recently for scenting myself before going out.
This is funny because when I first got to trying it out on my own, I was a little underwhelmed. Though the memory seems foreign now, I remember only being able to pick out a few notes, and the musk seemed dusty in a way and too bitter. After trying it a few more times I decided it was serviceable and put it down. It wasn't until a few weeks later, when I got back into it again, that I tried a nice piece at 80C and got the most pure white musk experience completely devoid of sweetness. After that I burned it more often and with more consideration. And at present I'm all but addicted. To me now, it has a deliciously resinous line through the whole profile, with the musk I've already mentioned sometimes being so powerful it borders on excessive. And plenty of what I can only call "soul". Maybe not so much a smell as a feeling, usually at the back of the throat or sometimes it feels like it's in your head. It's that quality that only wild wood has, and even more so in woods from previous generations when long standing trees were still being discovered. If you're on this forum you probably know what I mean.
It's amazing that some woods will give you everything upfront, while others reveal themselves so much overtime that the 50th or 100th session is nothing like the 1st.
Anyway that's all to say it's a great one to study and I hope you fill us in! No wrong answers
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Back
Top