TAS Hoi An Red Soil. I don’t know if this is actually sand or really fine wood powder. Or even incense tbh? Idk but it is like the other agarwood powder samples I have, except much less creamy, and sweet in a more typically-oudy way. It lacks the smack of spice in my Pursat chips, for example, or the salivary notes I actually like in my different kinam samples. This is a very clean sweetness, which I didn’t recognize as its own identity at first.
Today’s burn was the Himalayan Herbal incense. Again, an inexpensive pack of thick green sticks - that produces the most comforting clouds of Loban, Indian frankincense, juniper, cedar and god knows what else. Purifies the atmosphere!!
Burning a sliver of this, I've posted pictures of it before but I'm bringing it out after smelling the Hainam from @mesOUD because there is a shared note between the two that is otherwise pretty much absent from my collection. this was purchased in 1998/1999 in the San Francisco Bay area from a spectacular old TCM shop shortly before it shut down. This one has some really musky top notes that I'm not fond of - honey-salivary, bordering on fecal - when these clear the heart is a rich salty sweet aroma with mushroomy overtones and for me a reminder of ambergris. It produces a little slick of black tar all over the surface of the wood and the mica sheet when heated. I wish I could subtract those musky notes... they are a bit much for me. I have to burn this one hot to get right to the heart and this crazy dry down which is just spectacular beautiful salty scintillating resin. eventually this softens and sweetens and becomes almost tangy and fresh like peach or apricot like, along with some sweet vanillin notes and this aged hot resin aroma. The last half of this wood is spectacular, the first 25% is challenging as I see it.
The baseline temp for heating this instantly destroys something like CK...
Today I am burning a craft artisan juniper sticks made by a family in Tibet near Yushu/ Thrangu Monastery. It’s only the highest quality juniper leaves bound with minimal additives. Smells like I caught a trail of smoke from Tibetan highlands right at my desk 1000s of miles away.