Anybody else happy KyaraZen incense is back? I am. Especially after burning a small piece of KZ Sulawesi Cumingiana tonight. Doc I and Ken are/have been putting out some amazing stuff, but this piece was something very special. Deep, dark, wisps of jungle, wisps of wood. Very nice.
Yes, quite pleased, I was able to score the Pontianak (Lotus Dew)…. I haven’t tried any Pontianak wood or incense yet, although I do have the IO Pontiniak oil.
 
For me, it is hard to believe that Shoyeido does not use synthetics.
I mean, just light a stick of Nan-Kun. The scent is so penetrating. Its either they know some science that we do not know about or they are using some 'propriety' stuff in their sticks.
Just tried Nan Kun, it certainly has an aromatic punch, even when unlit. This is one of those sticks where I can’t be certain about the use of synthetics, I can only guess.
 
Finished the night with Shoyeido’s Shokaku. Absolutely stunning example of incense at its finest. Truly a remarkable work of craftsmanship.

If I could describe this stick it would be “green Kinam”. It has this deep, anise-like quality that feels intensely green. It’s a deep, concentrated, and intense green layered in waves of bitter Kinam smokes. It’s like a blanket of mind numbing Kinam that just envelopes the smoke. I also pick up a buzz that feels as if the smoke itself has layers. I’ve never smelled smoke like this before. It’s not acrid but rather sweet in a lot of ways. Overall my mind is blown. It’s hard to think 10 years ago this only cost $95 dollars. Unreal.
 
Finished the night with Shoyeido’s Shokaku. Absolutely stunning example of incense at its finest. Truly a remarkable work of craftsmanship.

If I could describe this stick it would be “green Kinam”. It has this deep, anise-like quality that feels intensely green. It’s a deep, concentrated, and intense green layered in waves of bitter Kinam smokes. It’s like a blanket of mind numbing Kinam that just envelopes the smoke. I also pick up a buzz that feels as if the smoke itself has layers. I’ve never smelled smoke like this before. It’s not acrid but rather sweet in a lot of ways. Overall my mind is blown. It’s hard to think 10 years ago this only cost $95 dollars. Unreal.
Now each stick is roughly $25 each 🥲
 
Can someone please help me where to start, I have never used incense sticks before. I am lost with so many companies being talked here. Could you recommend me just one or two companies that I can start with? Thank you
 
Nope. They’re out of stock. They show up in the search but if you click on the image everything is sold out. Even the individual sticks.
Sho-kaku, Myo-ho, and Go-un have been discontinued by Shoyeido.

This morning….Go-un
It was once my favorite stick,
but I still love it.
Containing agarwood, sandalwood, and kyara, gives it a more well rounded vibe and a little more woodiness than Myo-ho and Sho-kaku.
 
Can someone please help me where to start, I have never used incense sticks before. I am lost with so many companies being talked here. Could you recommend me just one or two companies that I can start with? Thank you

You might want to try these two sample sets, but Japan Incense ships only to North America.

You’re best bet might be to shop at


I purchased from them very many times.
 
@Oudamberlove Thank you so much.

I live in Australia so I guess they can ship it here. I will try those samples first then later will try Kohgenworld.

Anything in particular for focus/meditation/prayers?
I have struggled to find incense or oud that can aid in focus, meditation, and prayers.
I don’t want it to be my imagination that something can indeed compliment focus, meditation, and prayers. So the bottom line is that I would rather rest on my conviction, rather than olfactory aid.
Although, and I think it is my imagination, but the smell of flowers make me think of Holyness.
 
Anything in particular for focus/meditation/prayers?
If I want to focus/meditate/pray, I do not want any distractions! No noise, smell, etc. But if I did want to seek some aid, I would either use any good fragrance beforehand and focus on the smell or use the fragrance but not focus on it while meditating/praying.
 
Back
Top