Kohgen Incense Kyara

I was told that it contains 55% green oil kyara.
It reminds me of Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Kyara, Shoyeido Shokaku, and a little plum vibe.
When I heat this stick on the sub at low, the difference between heated kyara and combusted kyara becomes more apparent.
 
Kohgen Incense Kyara

I was told that it contains 55% green oil kyara.
It reminds me of Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Kyara, Shoyeido Shokaku, and a little plum vibe.
When I heat this stick on the sub at low, the difference between heated kyara and combusted kyara becomes more apparent.
When you heat a stick on the subitism do you crush it up at all or just put a little sliver on the burner?
 
Kohgen Incense Kyara

I was told that it contains 55% green oil kyara.
It reminds me of Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Kyara, Shoyeido Shokaku, and a little plum vibe.
When I heat this stick on the sub at low, the difference between heated kyara and combusted kyara becomes more apparent.
Is it also another one of kyara sticks that's sold out?
 
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day

My absolute favourite incense from KZ is 2019 Pontianak (yes, I like it better than even his pure green kyara incense) which has a unique and mysterious purple flower note. That batch was so good that KZ said he wanted keep the whole batch for himself but then he shared some (thank god he did!). So I got really excited when the new batch was released but its not comparable to the 2019 batch. There is no way I am questioning the technique of a master like KZ but I think the wood used in 2019 batch was really special.
 
View attachment 18855
My absolute favourite incense from KZ is 2019 Pontianak (yes, I like it better than even his pure green kyara incense) which has a unique and mysterious purple flower note. That batch was so good that KZ said he wanted keep the whole batch for himself but then he shared some (thank god he did!). So I got really excited when the new batch was released but its not comparable to the 2019 batch. There is no way I am questioning the technique of a master like KZ but I think the wood used in 2019 batch was really special.
I like Curt’s philosophy here “good wood equals good incense”

Sometimes I wonder how much technique really matters (on an extremely nuanced scale anyways) when the wood is simply perfect.
 
Yes, good agarwood will speak for itself,
and making it into a stick is not rocket science.

As for sticks that are blends, well….. we all know that blending to create something wonderful is no easy task, so blended sticks are a whole different ball game. I believe that stick blends require more knowledge and technique.
 
Burned Seijudo Shiragiku today.

Having troubles understanding this one as it smells incredibly charred when burned but I’m hoping with a few more listens it’ll make sense. Thanks to Curt for this one as well.

It’s difficult finding scent neutral spaces in my life these days but I’m understanding more and more pure Agarwood sticks really need that clear space to get the full effect.
 
Burned Seijudo Shiragiku today.

Having troubles understanding this one as it smells incredibly charred when burned but I’m hoping with a few more listens it’ll make sense. Thanks to Curt for this one as well.

It’s difficult finding scent neutral spaces in my life these days but I’m understanding more and more pure Agarwood sticks really need that clear space to get the full effect.
That was a sample I received from my last Japan haul, I haven’t tried it but it’s likely a newer batch, my personal batch was from five years ago.
 
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day

Why do I have van Gogh in the background? Because Ryu-Sho is as special as a masterful creation by van Gogh. When I read Ryu-Sho was made using finest yellow soil aloeswood from Vietnam/Cambodia and it was blended with ambergris I thought “whyyy!?!” because I would rather smell that kind of aloeswood in its purest form. But after smelling Ryu-Sho I realized I shouldn’t have questioned master Kyarazen’s decision. Ryu-Sho is deliciously sweet, deep and captivating. The balance between ambergris and aloeswood is just perfect!
 
View attachment 18858
Why do I have van Gogh in the background? Because Ryu-Sho is as special as a masterful creation by van Gogh. When I read Ryu-Sho was made using finest yellow soil aloeswood from Vietnam/Cambodia and it was blended with ambergris I thought “whyyy!?!” because I would rather smell that kind of aloeswood in its purest form. But after smelling Ryu-Sho I realized I shouldn’t have questioned master Kyarazen’s decision. Ryu-Sho is deliciously sweet, deep and captivating. The balance between ambergris and aloeswood is just perfect!
I was sitting here about to hop in the bath for my nightly incense burn and I lit up Ryu-Sho and was thinking about how perfect it is and then I saw your post haha!!

I like the story about the scent that came in the box. It’s interesting to think that ancient incense makers had troubles creating ambergris and Agarwood combos so they had to improvise with all sorts of different materials in order to mimic the real thing so that literal Royalty could enjoy it and here we are just chilling in our peasant homes lighting up sticks of literal gold. I love being alive today. Seriously.
 
so that literal Royalty could enjoy it and here we are just chilling in our peasant homes lighting up sticks of literal gold. I love being alive today. Seriously.
The luxuries that we have today were not there even for the richest kings and queens of the past! Just two examples: we have access to harvests from literally anywhere in the world and at any time of the year! And we have climate control almost everywhere: home, offices, car, shops, etc.
 
Back
Top