At $12 a stick, I am not really seeing the value or quality. The spices and sandalwood are far too strong. In terms of kyara, en no sho blows it away.
Have to update my view on this… It’s indeed a pretty straightforward woody stick that is quite complex. Probably not beginners incense and maybe still over my head but I’ll spend more time with it and see.
Def recommended grabbing a stick or two to sample.

it’s interesting to see different companies different interpretations and representations of “kyara”

im also learning you can’t judge the stick by the smell while it’s burning but also from the echo and what lingers.

lastly, “kyara” is an aroma but more so a vibe or effect. I def felt altered yesterday from the sampling of sticks and the kyara vibe is present again after burning Kyara Houzan for a few mins.
Honestly ill take the vibe and head change over the pure aroma any day of the week. And if I’m spending $10-$30 per stick then the headchange needs to be there.
 
Last edited:
Daihatsu Roukaku

I like the aroma, the agarwood comes through, although it’s a touch heavy on benzoin, still, enjoyable. There’s the faintest hint of oceanic ambergris, although I’m pretty sure it doesn’t contain any. It reminds me of Kohgen Jinkai, but Jinkai has less or no benzoin, is fruitier, and I think it has some borneol.
 
Processed Sri Lanka

My first purchase of Dr.incense's recent offering.

The surface looks very smooth and the diameter is similar to typical Japanese incense.

Smelling from the bottle, it already gives off a pleasant sweet green note that resembles some of the Kalimantan and Sri Lankan oud oils I've smelt before. But with a bit more honey kick.

Once lit, it emits distinctive Sri Lankan oud's green guava creamy sweetness that I immediately recognized. The right burning temperature of this stick gives off an ideal fragrance. Peeeeerfect.

I'm not familiar with Yemen sidr honey that is utilized in processing this incense but I do sense a sweet honey smell.

Warm property of honey and cool property of Sri Lankan oud seamlessly integrated. Thanks to that, this incense leans toward neither Yin nor Yang.

I'm very satisfied with this purchase and this won't be my last purchase from the Dr for sure. 😁
 
Processed Sri Lanka

My first purchase of Dr.incense's recent offering.

The surface looks very smooth and the diameter is similar to typical Japanese incense.

Smelling from the bottle, it already gives off a pleasant sweet green note that resembles some of the Kalimantan and Sri Lankan oud oils I've smelt before. But with a bit more honey kick.

Once lit, it emits distinctive Sri Lankan oud's green guava creamy sweetness that I immediately recognized. The right burning temperature of this stick gives off an ideal fragrance. Peeeeerfect.

I'm not familiar with Yemen side honey that is utilized in processing this incense but I do sense a sweet honey smell.

Warm property of honey and cool property of Sri Lankan oud seamlessly integrated. Thanks to that, this incense leans toward neither Yin nor Yang.

I'm very satisfied with this purchase and this won't be my last purchase from the Dr for sure. 😁
I always look forward to your reviews man! Great outlook and insight as always. You’re a gem Taesik!
 
Yamadamatsu - Saiwun

IMO, Saiwun is Yamadamatsu's exploration of 'salty', and 'sour' from Rikoku-Gomi(Six counties and five tastes of agarwood). It smells sweet but also has a unique sourness I still can't take a grasp of what it is.

Saiwun. means Vibrant cloud if loosely translated. Very well deserve the name.
 
Yamadamatsu Hojo Green Followed by Red label

Red Label is so beautifully sweet with sweet spices. Milky, sweet toasted woods with some anise/cinnamon like nuances. I feel like it is not BIG on Kinam but still a strong blend. Lovely. I love it.
On the other hand, Green Label is more 'perfumey'. I guess it has a little something added to the blend. A little something.
 
Yamadamatsu Hojo Green Followed by Red label

Red Label is so beautifully sweet with sweet spices. Milky, sweet toasted woods with some anise/cinnamon like nuances. I feel like it is not BIG on Kinam but still a strong blend. Lovely. I love it.
On the other hand, Green Label is more 'perfumey'. I guess it has a little something added to the blend. A little something.
This one is such a beast and quite a complicated blend. The kyara might be in there but the aroma is difficult to discern, it does have a bit of a kyara vibe to me as I always find the incense calming and slightly altering.
 
Back
Top