Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Sandalwood
old version

Good, but a bit smokey.

I have a theory, that denser old growth heartwood will have a higher wood fiber to oil ratio, which will result in a smokier burn.


Next up…..Ken’s PNG

I’m reminded of cake frosting😊
 
Last edited:
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Older heartwood = more oleoresin and more condensed wood fibers hence more aromatic and less smoky/woody.
I agree with Curt here. The resins get charred from the combustion. That kind of resin content needs to be gently heated OR the combustion needs to slow down.

I burned some sinking grade incense that suffered from this. Started off incredibly Smokey and charred but somewhere in the middle it’s beauty released and then the base was charred resins again.
 
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Older heartwood = more oleoresin and more condensed wood fibers hence more aromatic and less smoky/woody.
It’s just a theory, the dense parts are at the center of the heartwood and around burls, they are considerably heavier with the wood fibers packed so tightly, not much oils can be contained in them, resin...yes, but oils…much less. When I heat the dense wood I get more of the buttery glow, with the less dense wood, an array of notes.

Sandalwood is interesting….in general, it’s not as dramatic as agarwood, but each type of sandalwood I’ve heated has it’s own nuances.
 
Shoyeido Ga-ho

Superb agarwood to aromatics ratio,
with a pleasant aroma.
I’d like to think that it’s “user friendly”😄

Also,
Lighting a stick I made using
Gyokushodo’s Vietnamese No.422,
I seem to pick up a little note of
Mangosteen, or is it my imagination🧐
 
Last edited:
Burning some 1960’s Mysore from the Ashram. The idea that older Mysore is better doesn’t always ring true. Very Smokey. At times smells SMOKEY but overall it’s a strong lingering buttered aroma.

Also lit up some Mysore/Jasmine agarbatti from the 1970’s. The essential oils smell ridiculously indolic. There must be honey in this because I’m getting a urinous floral vibe. Very interesting. The wrapping also has writing on the backside of the tube so if you tear it off you’ll see hand written words on the packaging. Very interesting indeed. I’m gonna see if I can get a member of the Sangha to translate.
 
You guys are beating me to it! I have a bunch of samples at home but haven't had the chance to burn much except the Sandalwood stick by Minorein.
 
Back
Top