So how was it bro?
It was excellent. Now that I’ve burned a few (inches from) sticks of the high end Japanese incenses I am getting it. I think it’s akin to the ā€œbarnā€ in Oud in some ways. The extraneous spices in the incense is sort of parting way for the Kyara to come through, BUT if I hadn’t experienced Kyara on the burner I don’t think I would find it as easily. Of the 4 I have sampled so far Kyara Kokoh clearly has the title of most Kyara in the composition. Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo has been the best overall experience so far. I am planing to try a bit of Kyara Kokoh again now.

**Side note— what you mentioned about Doc Incense still holds true, so far. His, Kens and KyaraZens sticks are in a league of their own for sure. Possibly my ā€œpalateā€ will change, but it seems you kind of have to toss these artisan made sticks off to the side and compare them with each other rather than put them up against the Japanese incenses. Your mileage may vary.
 
It was excellent. Now that I’ve burned a few (inches from) sticks of the high end Japanese incenses I am getting it. I think it’s akin to the ā€œbarnā€ in Oud in some ways. The extraneous spices in the incense is sort of parting way for the Kyara to come through, BUT if I hadn’t experienced Kyara on the burner I don’t think I would find it as easily. Of the 4 I have sampled so far Kyara Kokoh clearly has the title of most Kyara in the composition. Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo has been the best overall experience so far. I am planing to try a bit of Kyara Kokoh again now.

**Side note— what you mentioned about Doc Incense still holds true, so far. His, Kens and KyaraZens sticks are in a league of their own for sure. Possibly my ā€œpalateā€ will change, but it seems you kind of have to toss these artisan made sticks off to the side and compare them with each other rather than put them up against the Japanese incenses. Your mileage may vary.
I think you're spot on, especially with the Baiedo premium sticks it took me awhile to be able to discern the differences in the profiles and detect the agarwood beyond all the spices and supportive ingredients. Where as Kyara enju and En no sho are a bit more direct and accessible towards the Kyara with minimal overpowering herbs. Also kyara kokoh seems to be by far and away the most Kyara of the kyara sticks, which one would hope based on the price.

Yeah the Doc and the other artisanal sticks are something special and def in a category of their own. Just different approaches and kind of different traditions as compared to the Japanese sticks.
 
I think I prefer the refinement and aromatics of the big Houses over the more rugged/authentic artisanal small batch style of KyaraZen/Ken/Doc when it comes to blends but I love the quality of the small batch Agarwood in the artisanal stuff MORE than when the big houses try their hand at it.
Spot on!
I’m very attached to some of those refined blends…..just gotta have it.
Then when I need an agarwood hit, I turn to Artisanal.
 
Spot on!
I’m very attached to some of those refined blends…..just gotta have it.
Then when I need an agarwood hit, I turn to Artisanal.
Yeah it’s very true, no one can really touch these artisans when it comes to straight agarwood, b
Burned some Kyara Tenpo last night thanks to Curt.

So nice and creamy. Ambery. Alittle spicy and just beautiful.
awesome incense!
 
tennendo frankincense - bit of a departure from my usual burns but this might be the best frank stick I’ve burned, especially for the price.

baiedo kaden kobunnoku and tokuden syukohkoku - these punch way above their price and are super potent, basically medicinal. I have a lot more on the way from Baiedo now and am quite looking forward to it.
 
tennendo frankincense - bit of a departure from my usual burns but this might be the best frank stick I’ve burned, especially for the price.

baiedo kaden kobunnoku and tokuden syukohkoku - these punch way above their price and are super potent, basically medicinal. I have a lot more on the way from Baiedo now and am quite looking forward to it.
I think Frank/sandal combos might be some of my favorite compositions. I’ve been eying this one from Tennendo. I haven’t done a big Japan-Incense order in awhile and I’m currently building my cart up. I guess it’s time to add this to the list.
 
I think Frank/sandal combos might be some of my favorite compositions. I’ve been eying this one from Tennendo. I haven’t done a big Japan-Incense order in awhile and I’m currently building my cart up. I guess it’s time to add this to the list.
Yeah i mean it’s $10 for a box of high grade omani so why not 😊

Just switched over to kyara vibes with En No Sho and this one is def a winner.
 
Gyokushodo Jinko Yomei and Yozei

Both a little heavy on perfume, and both with the woods in the background.

Yozei, supposedly containing more agarwood, has a watermelon scent similar to Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Siam.

Yomei, reeks of sandalwood, with a little fruity floral, and then the wood.

I prefer to use these sticks to create an aura, or for scenting purposes, rather than for close listening.
 
Gyokushodo Kaze No Sho and
Kumo No Sho.

Both have a noticeable Onycha note,
I’m not a fan of this marine mollusc
operculum, but it’s not off putting either.

I do however like the agarwood note in
these sticks.
 
Sampled a stick of
Shunkohdo Kyara Houzan

Has elements of Kyara Seikan and Aioi No Matsu, with a touch of kyara. I like the overall blend, but it’s not remarkable enough for me to get more. I would rather keep enjoying the Kyara Seikan from this House.
 
Sampled a stick of
Shunkohdo Kyara Houzan

Has elements of Kyara Seikan and Aioi No Matsu, with a touch of kyara. I like the overall blend, but it’s not remarkable enough for me to get more. I would rather keep enjoying the Kyara Seikan from this House.
Couldn't agree more, hard to justify the price when it's so similar to the others. So far the 4 sticks of theirs Ive tried are all more or less variations on the same theme or recipe, with different degrees of kyara or higher grade wood as you move up the line. For the money, Id much rather have Kyara tenpyo old version šŸ™‚
 
Back
Top