Couldn't agree more, hard to justify the price when it's so similar to the others. So far the 4 sticks of theirs Ive tried are all more or less variations on the same theme or recipe, with different degrees of kyara or higher grade wood as you move up the line. For the money, Id much rather have Kyara tenpyo old version 🙂
Funny you mentioned that, Kyara Tenpyo old batch, because after lighting a medley of Shoyeido Myo-Kaku, Kyara Houzan, and Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo….I lit the Kyara Tenpyo and got hit by a wall of agarwood, like a deep dark oudh.
 
Funny you mentioned that, Kyara Tenpyo old batch, because after lighting a medley of Shoyeido Myo-Kaku, Kyara Houzan, and Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo….I lit the Kyara Tenpyo and got hit by a wall of agarwood, like a deep dark oudh.
Good timing, it’s like a black kyara kind of vibe but deepy resiny-oudiness. Really superb incense but not yet sure if it’s significantly better than the newer one. What do you think?
 
Revisited Shoyeido Myo-Kaku

I didn’t get “it” the first time, now I understand….this is a Vietnamese agarwood stick, dare I say close to Artisanal😜
the use of aromatics is just a light touch.
I like to enjoy my sticks at opposite sides of the fence. Blends on one side, and straight agarwood on the other. The middle ground such as this Myo-Kaku, is not a necessity for my purpose.

Revisited Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo
as well…..nice stick, and I noticed a tiny Tibetan style vibe.
 
Revisited Shoyeido Myo-Kaku

I didn’t get “it” the first time, now I understand….this is a Vietnamese agarwood stick, dare I say close to Artisanal😜
the use of aromatics is just a light touch.
I like to enjoy my sticks at opposite sides of the fence. Blends on one side, and straight agarwood on the other. The middle ground such as this Myo-Kaku, is not a necessity for my purpose.

Revisited Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo
as well…..nice stick, and I noticed a tiny Tibetan style vibe.
Good timing on this as I was just burning a bit of my Myo-kaku sampling and thinking how it really reminded me of something from Ken or Dr I, which was a bit confusing considering this is the top end stick from Shoyeido. Glad to see I wasn't crazy and I guess this was the vibe they were going for. In one way it could really show the level at which some of these artisans are operating at if the top end stick from an old Japanese company is on par.
 
Good timing on this as I was just burning a bit of my Myo-kaku sampling and thinking how it really reminded me of something from Ken or Dr I, which was a bit confusing considering this is the top end stick from Shoyeido. Glad to see I wasn't crazy and I guess this was the vibe they were going for. In one way it could really show the level at which some of these artisans are operating at if the top end stick from an old Japanese company is on par.
The guys at OFS say this stick is comprised almost entirely of aromatics and “accords” and that they were disappointed in the apparent lack of quality and high quality Agarwood. They also said actual Oud was used as an aromatic but ultimately it’s just a blend of perfume oils. Do you find that to be true?
 
I wouldn't say that, I def get some strong agarwood in there and somewhat minimal traditional spices. I need more time and burns with it to really discern, but I can say that I for sure would not spend $500 on a box of this. Many other sticks completely blow it out of the water for a fraction of the price and I'm really a bit confused as to that such an old and prestigious company as Shoyeido was going for in making this their top end stick.
 
I wouldn't say that, I def get some strong agarwood in there and somewhat minimal traditional spices. I need more time and burns with it to really discern, but I can say that I for sure would not spend $500 on a box of this. Many other sticks completely blow it out of the water for a fraction of the price and I'm really a bit confused as to that such an old and prestigious company as Shoyeido was going for in making this their top end stick.
Yeah that’s what the sentiment seems to be with OFS. They said there’s absolutely better sticks at much lower prices especially from Minorien. I think this is showing a clear distinction between “old stock” and “new stock”. Something must have been lost in translation.

But then this also speaks to the small batch boys making waves right now. There’s no doubt in my mind in 20 years Doc, Ken, KyaraZen etc will be the standard for premium blends. At least for me they will be.
 
I wouldn't say that, I def get some strong agarwood in there and somewhat minimal traditional spices. I need more time and burns with it to really discern, but I can say that I for sure would not spend $500 on a box of this. Many other sticks completely blow it out of the water for a fraction of the price and I'm really a bit confused as to that such an old and prestigious company as Shoyeido was going for in making this their top end stick.
I received a sample of this stick from Japanese Incense as well with my last order, and would say the exact same as Brandon and Curt. If they in fact used only aromatics and oils, they did a great job in getting the smell of Agarwood correct but it is more like a standard processed stick from Doc I. Reminds me of the Processed Myanma stick, and those were quite a bit less than this stick. Big pass for me based on price and the surprise of it not smelling like any of the other Japanese Incense I’ve sampled.
 
The guys at OFS say this stick is comprised almost entirely of aromatics and “accords” and that they were disappointed in the apparent lack of quality and high quality Agarwood. They also said actual Oud was used as an aromatic but ultimately it’s just a blend of perfume oils. Do you find that to be true?
What clued me in to discovering the agarwood in Myo-kaku, is when I compared it to my homemade Vietnamese stick, although my stick packs more agarwood punch, I can detect a decent amount in Myo-kaku, kinda like an “Artisanal Lite”, or “Diet Artisanal”😂
In all fairness to ORS, I too was disappointed with this stick when I first smelled it, but I attribute that to my high expectations.
Shunkohdo’s Vietnamese sticks are certainly very agarwoody also, but they accompany a considerable amount of smoke, with Myo-kaku, it is more refined with less smokiness.

This morning I lit Ga-ho (old stock), it is very agarwoody, and the aromatics complement the agarwood, as opposed to other Houses drowning it out.
 
Shoyeido Myo-kaku - I was able to get a box of this for about $3 a stick and for the that price it's great. I like it and it reminds me of a few other Kyara sticks, but then again I didn't try Sho-kaku so I don't know what kind of shoes it is supposed to fill. And yeah, for $3 a stick, I can burn it with out worry and enjoy the Enju/En-no-sho like vibes.
 
Shoyeido Myo-kaku - I was able to get a box of this for about $3 a stick and for the that price it's great. I like it and it reminds me of a few other Kyara sticks, but then again I didn't try Sho-kaku so I don't know what kind of shoes it is supposed to fill. And yeah, for $3 a stick, I can burn it with out worry and enjoy the Enju/En-no-sho like vibes.
Shokaku is such a nice stick. I have a little piece left and it’s probably my favorite burn ever.
 
Does anyone know when will Kyarazen release new sticks?

For those who like DrIncense his new sticks will be listed in an hour. If DrIncense lists some oils, are they worth buying?
 
Does anyone know when will Kyarazen release new sticks?

For those who like DrIncense his new sticks will be listed in an hour. If DrIncense lists some oils, are they worth buying?
His oils have been a bit hit/miss. The Tarakan was excellent—stand alone Perfume itself. The Laos is really good (reminds me a lot of Raja Laos 99). The Sri Lankan and Cambodian are just ok, basic oils. The Hindi was way too overly barny for me.

Was very happy to see my favorite blended stick Samadhi today (in coil and stick form), and also the sinking Cambodian with Kynam. The sinking Cambodian is really nice by itself, with a dash of Kynam added i imagine these will be superb. His Brunei with Kynam and Tarakan with Kynam are both stellar. I was told me he thinks this Cambodian with Kynam may be the best he’s ever released publicly.

Burning through some of the Baieido Premium assortment today. This assortment seems to be a really good value in Japanese sticks. Ko Shi Boku is pretty nice (it’s def not Kyara Kokoh but its solid), and the Koh En (Viet wood) is nice as well—very good first impressions.
 
Doc I Sinking Samadhi this morning. I will reiterate what I’ve said before. This is THE BEST blended incense I own, maybe the best incense. Perfect balance of Agarwood, Sandalwood, and spices, burn is always perfect and the uplifting/meditative effect makes me ready to face a new day. A masterpiece.
 
Shunkohdo - Ka Cho Fu Getsu

really nice and fairly inexpensive medicinal kind of blend, made from Chinese medicine spices and 10 kinds of Indonesian agarwood according to the description. $5 for 20 sticks is hard to beat for a daily stick.
 
Shunkohdo - Ka Cho Fu Getsu

really nice and fairly inexpensive medicinal kind of blend, made from Chinese medicine spices and 10 kinds of Indonesian agarwood according to the description. $5 for 20 sticks is hard to beat for a daily stick.
Shunkohdo has a nice variety of sticks, without being signature-scent-driven, and they are all quite pleasant.
I also love the graphics on their rolls, awesome designs.

This morning…..
Kunmeido Asuka
Unassuming, but proves it’s worth each time I light it.
 
Back
Top