Burned Seijudo Shiragiku today.

Having troubles understanding this one as it smells incredibly charred when burned but I’m hoping with a few more listens it’ll make sense. Thanks to Curt for this one as well.

It’s difficult finding scent neutral spaces in my life these days but I’m understanding more and more pure Agarwood sticks really need that clear space to get the full effect.
Ive noticed some incense just smell like burnt wood sometimes until my brain is ready to understand them. One incense took me like a year to finally be able to smell. Some oils are like that as well, not sure why that is but seems to be a thing unfortunately.
 
Ive noticed some incense just smell like burnt wood sometimes until my brain is ready to understand them. One incense took me like a year to finally be able to smell. Some oils are like that as well, not sure why that is but seems to be a thing unfortunately.
I agree. When I first started collecting incense I couldn’t understand folks saying that certain sticks smelled like flowers and fruits etc. It all smelled so charred but after a year or so I can finally smell all the nuances people speak of. Training your nose is expensive haha!
 
The luxuries that we have today were not there even for the richest kings and queens of the past! Just two examples: we have access to harvests from literally anywhere in the world and at any time of the year! And we have climate control almost everywhere: home, offices, car, shops, etc.
Yes! You nailed it. We’re extremely blessed. I was reading on Crystal De Luna’s description for some purple Kinam that it’s said in China you must acquire 8 lifetimes worth of good merit before one can even smell Kinam let alone access it. Here we all are smelling Kinam and blowing through ambergris laced Agarwood sticks in air conditioned homes and cabinets full of spices hahah!
 
I agree. When I first started collecting incense I couldn’t understand folks saying that certain sticks smelled like flowers and fruits etc. It all smelled so charred but after a year or so I can finally smell all the nuances people speak of. Training your nose is expensive haha!
If I go through a session of gently heating agarwood, then light a stick afterwards, the stick smells more smokey than usual.
 
I agree. When I first started collecting incense I couldn’t understand folks saying that certain sticks smelled like flowers and fruits etc. It all smelled so charred but after a year or so I can finally smell all the nuances people speak of. Training your nose is expensive haha!
This comment explains why my DrIncense sticks only smell burnt wood. Three different sticks but they all smell same as the jungle fires we had in Australia last year.
 
I agree. When I first started collecting incense I couldn’t understand folks saying that certain sticks smelled like flowers and fruits etc. It all smelled so charred but after a year or so I can finally smell all the nuances people speak of. Training your nose is expensive haha!
Indeed it is!
I remember back to all of the expensive woods and incense I bought that I just torched or didn’t really even smell 😂😭😭
 
I find this more to be an issue with lower quality products (oil, woods and sticks) but that's just my opinion. And I believe that is the case because the concentration of aromatics in such products is low. In higher quality products, the denser notes overshadow the others making it difficult to appreciate the shadowed notes. In both cases, repeated exposure over time opens up the scent profile and makes it obvious whether the product is low or high quality. With the variety of notes and their density being the indicator of quality.

So if a sticks smells like makko powder burning to me on day one and I can appreciate some subtle notes of floral agarwoody sweetness on day 10 but the makko powder is still predominant, it is a low quality stick for me. Contrast this with, let's say, Ancient Tones from KZ where one can detect the agarwoody notes from the get go and appreciate more agarwoody nuances as times goes on, that's a high quality product.
 
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day

Two new acquisitions I was able to source through a Singaporean friend.

Koike Rousoku - 旅館(Ryokan)
(one on the right of the picture above)
Price: 2,376 JPY(approx $21.5 USD)
Quantity: 400 sticks

Koike Rousoku is a Japanese incense house founded in 1893. they are specialized in traditional Japanese candle but also produces a few incenses as well. Ryokan is a type of traditional Japanese inn that typically features tatami-matted rooms.

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


Koike Rousoku's Ryokan exhibit this particular scent of tatami matte. if you ever visited a spring pool in Japan, you'd know this particular scent.

for those who don't know what Tatami is, it's basically a matt made out of rice straws. that beige-colored dried grass matte in Bruce Lee's film 'Fist of Fury', you might have seen, that's tatami.

Many Southeast Asian countries have been used Tatami-like floor matt and here in South Korea, we have a similar type of matt called Dotjari.

one of the interesting features of Ryokan is that it doesn't catch fire when you lit it with a lighter.
the stick just glows and slowly started to burn. interestingly, the ash it leaves behind is completely white, unlike gray ashes that most other incenses produce. and it doesn't emit any visible smoke.

its scent resembles the scent of a field of rice pads in the countryside in Autumn, where leftover dried rice straws spread throughout the fields. if that doesn't bring you the scent memory, imagine the scent of dry autumn leaves and hay as those scents come close to this scent.

smelling Ryokan up close, it gives me a slightly itch feeling back of my throat. so I recommend you smelling this from a bit of distance.

Sandalwood Pavilion - 鵝梨帳中香(Chinese Goose pear incense. Also known as 江南李主帳中香)
(one on the left of the picture above)
Price: 12 SGD(approx $10 USD)
Quantity: 10g

I've been wanting to get some Goose pear incense since I ran out of RPP's Asian pear senkoh.
then I stumbled with this recipe called "鵝梨帳中香", it can be loosely translated in English as "The scent inside of Goose pear drapery" sorry if it's a mouthful name. 😅


鵝梨帳中香 is an ancient Tang dynasty Chinese incense recipe that involves a fascinating process. check out the video to see the making process.

while there are quite a lot of Chinese, Taiwanese, Singapore brands that make incense based on this recipe, I picked this one from this particular vendor on Singaporean online shopping mall Carousell.

the scent is intensely sweet pear-y while not particularly showing much of agarwood or sandalwood. so I'm guessing this one contains not-so-good agarwood if there's any. fair enough for the price.

while there isn't much going on other than the dominant scent of (possibly cloyingly)sweet Goose pear, the Goose pear gives you quite an enjoyable, cooling, soothing experience.

I think it's a fairly good incense for the price as it doesn't leave an acrid after-scent or harsh feeling while burning it.
 
Doc I processed Sri Lankan tonight. Newest batch. This IS my favorite pure agarwood incense from Doc I. The Brunei and Tarakan with Kynam I enjoy a little bit more, but this is a very close second. Has a powdery sweet, slightly floral/honey, while still letting it be known it’s woody along the way. Superb. Superb. 10/10 for me here. Should have picked up more.
 
Doc I processed Sri Lankan tonight. Newest batch. This IS my favorite pure agarwood incense from Doc I. The Brunei and Tarakan with Kynam I enjoy a little bit more, but this is a very close second. Has a powdery sweet, slightly floral/honey, while still letting it be known it’s woody along the way. Superb. Superb. 10/10 for me here. Should have picked up more.
Im very new here and picked up the same stick. I can't smell anything at all. Am I wasting some nice sticks? Should I go buy some cheap sticks until my nose is trained? Or what's going on her. Please help.
 
Im very new here and picked up the same stick. I can't smell anything at all. Am I wasting some nice sticks? Should I go buy some cheap sticks until my nose is trained? Or what's going on her. Please help.
there are many variables that contribute to this 'bad' smelling day.
Kyarazen wrote about this in his 'Bad incense or tea day' article.
one tip I can suggest you is to keep your nostrils, body well hydrated and gauges your olfaction sensitivity with a stable incense you can use as a benchmark prior to burning premium incenses.
 
there are many variables that contribute to this 'bad' smelling day.
Kyarazen wrote about this in his 'Bad incense or tea day' article.
one tip I can suggest you is to keep your nostrils, body well hydrated and gauges your olfaction sensitivity with a stable incense you can use as a benchmark prior to burning premium incenses.
Thank you I will take your suggestions. I read the article, very informative.
 
Im very new here and picked up the same stick. I can't smell anything at all. Am I wasting some nice sticks? Should I go buy some cheap sticks until my nose is trained? Or what's going on her. Please help.
I think incense is possibly another area (like was mentioned in another thread with oils), where you might have to have some experience with the wood to appreciate the incense more. The ability to smell past the binders and other stuff added only comes with experience. I still do not get ANY Sandalwood incense. BUT, I admittedly haven’t had a lot of experience burning/heating the wood itself. When I first started burning incense a couple years ago, a lot of the pure Agarwood incense smelled like burning firewood to me. The ability to smell the nuance of the wood came after burning quite a lot of wood on the subitism. Just my 2 cents.
 
Yes, also I can only smell burnt wood. That smoke goes into ducted heating system in our home, later at night when heater starts, then all our home receives the true smell of that stick but that's only for few seconds. InshaAllah I will buy subitism heater soon also.
 
Like everyone else has said I just got over the hump of not being able to smell the wood! Just give it time friend. What id recommend is to start off like this:

Get some self lighting charcoal and try and buy pure Agarwood chips. Play around with burning Agarwood on charcoal.

After you get a technique down for understanding the Agarwood on charcoal buy some Japanese incense blends with both Agarwood and Mysore. I’d recommend Shoyeido’s premium daily incense line along with Doc I’d blends or Ken Canatta’s blends.

DONT burn any pure Agarwood for a week or two.

Then go back to your pure Agarwood incense sticks and light one up. Maybe break off a 1/4” section, light it up and leave the room. Come back once it’s all burned up and notice the aroma in the room. Notice the afterglow.

Wait another week and do this again. Rinse and repeat! This will train your nose. It trained mine over the course of a year but it pays off man.
 
Lit some Yamadamatsu Shu Ju Sasora

The Shu Ju series boasts smokiness,
a bit more challenging to enjoy the agarwood within.


Then some Shunkohdo Ranjatai

This stick took me years to appreciate,
I thought it was quite roasty, but now it represents agarwood so well that I feel it deserves it’s name. It’s not straight-up agarwoody with the bounty a pure agarwood stick can deliver, although when I smell it, I can’t help but think of agarwood.
 
so far I’ve burned bits of:

hojo firebird
Kyara tenpyo
En no sho
Kyara houzan
Gojuko green kyara
Kyara kocho*

kyara kocho really shouldn’t be using the name kyara or be in this mix, it was fairly cheap so I thought I’d try it.

otherwise im stoned on kyara and my whole place smells like it.

clear winners if i want a more pure kyara experience

enju
En no sho
Gokujo kyara

I haven’t yet tried baiedo kyara kokoh, but for my wallets sake let’s hope it doesn’t live up to the hype 😂😂


[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
so far I’ve burned bits of:

hojo firebird
Kyara tenpyo
En no sho
Kyara houzan
Gojuko green kyara
Kyara kocho*

kyara kocho really shouldn’t be using the name kyara or be in this mix, it was fairly cheap so I thought I’d try it.

otherwise im stoned on kyara and my whole place smells like it.

clear winners if i want a more pure kyara experience

enju
En no sho
Gokujo kyara

I haven’t yet tried baiedo kyara kokoh, but for my wallets sake let’s hope it doesn’t live up to the hype 😂😂


View attachment 18894
Kyara Houzan is one I’ve never tried, would love to hear your impressions.
 
Back
Top