Qian Xian Cao : (Distributed by Incense Traditions)

This is a medicinal / herbal Mongolian incense that lists cardamom, wolfiporia extensa, cayperus rotundus, lemon grass, plantago asiatica, acronychia pedunculata, saffron, and cedar as ingreidents.
From what I've read, the majority of these ingredients are aimed at healing digestive issues and inflammation.

This is definitely cedar-forward with perhaps the lemon grass brightening it up a touch.
I honestly am not familiar with the majority of the fungus and herbs listed here.
A very thin stick that has a serene and relaxing accord when burnt.

Nothing happening here that is superbly dynamic or anything, but is an interesting addition to the growing portion of my incense collection that is non-agarwood related, primarily herbal, and aimed at healing.
 
I feel your pain, brother, for I, too, have a weak meme-currency with contend with.
😂
I normally have to wait til things go on sale just so I can purchase them at the list price

I buy a lot of my materials overseas, and now the US is getting rid of the "less than $800" exemption. Some new taxes are as high as 40% plus the additional 10% introduced earlier this year. This sucks, as American goods are usually a lot more expensive than those from overseas. I don't recall the last time I purchased materials from a US-based company. I usually buy my materials from Fraterworks and our own brother's online store, Aromology.com. I go through a lot of sandalwood, and Aromology gave me a good deal on 120 grams last month (it's all I could afford). It's halfway gone now into blends. AND I already get a discount on both sites!
 
I buy a lot of my materials overseas, and now the US is getting rid of the "less than $800" exemption. Some new taxes are as high as 40% plus the additional 10% introduced earlier this year. This sucks, as American goods are usually a lot more expensive than those from overseas. I don't recall the last time I purchased materials from a US-based company. I usually buy my materials from Fraterworks and our own brother's online store, Aromology.com. I go through a lot of sandalwood, and Aromology gave me a good deal on 120 grams last month (it's all I could afford). It's halfway gone now into blends. AND I already get a discount on both sites!
Yeah, lots of global financial discomfort happening for sure. I'm sorry it's tough for you, too.
Thanks for reminding me of Aromology, though! Been meaning to get back over there for a looksee.
 
Thanks for the tip!
Looking more for materials for attar construction 👍

@Simla House, what are you planning? What inspires you? Is it the materials, fantasies, desires to "improve" existing scents, etc?

I am forgetful. If I don't add an appointment to my calendar or something I want to get done in my notes app, I'll never attend the appointment, plan for it, or recall what I added to my notes app. I forget the addresses of places I visit often, what time I take my meds, and even the meds I take (I have those documented in the iHealth app, too), etc.

So I try to hold on to my memories through art, and scent is my art form. I create blends/work that remind me of specific moments, like Proust eating a madeleine with tea, which springs forth the longest novel in Western civilization. (1.5 million words). Either yesterday or the day before (or was it this weekend?), I recreated a moment of myself as a boy standing in my grandfather's orange grove in Florida on a cool night, with the moon shining through the orange trees and the flowers blooming. I used a premium orange blossom absolute for the flowers I smelled as a boy, a neroli, petitgrain, woods, vetiver, and galbanum for the moist ground and grass, as well as bergamot and a variety of other materials. It's turning out well, but it needs to sit for a while to fully mature. If I forget that moment, I'll have the orange grove recreated in a blend. Hopefully, that will conjure the serene moment.
 
@Simla House, what are you planning? What inspires you? Is it the materials, fantasies, desires to "improve" existing scents, etc?

I am forgetful. If I don't add an appointment to my calendar or something I want to get done in my notes app, I'll never attend the appointment, plan for it, or recall what I added to my notes app. I forget the addresses of places I visit often, what time I take my meds, and even the meds I take (I have those documented in the iHealth app, too), etc.

So I try to hold on to my memories through art, and scent is my art form. I create blends/work that remind me of specific moments, like Proust eating a madeleine with tea, which springs forth the longest novel in Western civilization. (1.5 million words). Either yesterday or the day before (or was it this weekend?), I recreated a moment of myself as a boy standing in my grandfather's orange grove in Florida on a cool night, with the moon shining through the orange trees and the flowers blooming. I used a premium orange blossom absolute for the flowers I smelled as a boy, a neroli, petitgrain, woods, vetiver, and galbanum for the moist ground and grass, as well as bergamot and a variety of other materials. It's turning out well, but it needs to sit for a while to fully mature. If I forget that moment, I'll have the orange grove recreated in a blend. Hopefully, that will conjure the serene moment.
I'd say for me at this stage, it'd be to map-out and experiment with the things I already like, and acquire a few things that might enhance what I'm working with. I have a few decades of attar, oud, and Japanese incense collecting for inspiration. Many hours spent wandering up and down roads where every other shop sold attar and bakhoor, as well. Many many hours spent sitting with attarwalla uncles , having tea, talking about attar.

I like the idea of "cinematic" or "thematic" compositions for fragrance, but that might come later.
For now, If I could come up with a ghaliya/attar that hit just right, I'd be thrilled.

Your childhood memories sound beautiful!
To be able to reflect back on that and compose and encapsulate something for your olfactory senses is a beautiful thing.
There are many blessings and gifts in this life, there is no denying 😉👐
 
Gyokushodo - Jinko Yozei - I rarely reach for these sticks, because I have so many of the Hoen, Yomei, and Jinko Kojurin and perhaps that's why I'm not enjoying this stick as much as I enjoy those. Unlit the stick smelled strongly of sandalwood, that's all I could pick up, and a hint of Japanese curry spice. Burning it's quite campfire like initially, but as the scent starts to full the room, I start to appreciate what they were going for here. It reminds me of standing at the balcony of an imperial palace, as sheets are hanging to dry in the courtyard underneath. It's a subtle scent, not too fragrant nor too pungent. I'll come back to this and see what else I can gleam from it. Though my love of Yomei has made that difficult in the past, while Hoen smells so odd, but I find it addictive, and Jinko Kojurin is essentially a less camphor-y version of Baieido's Tokusen Kobunboku, with the curry amped up a fair bit, but then the whole thing made lighter. Yozei does seem to have similarities to Yomei but without any florals it's tougher scent to decipher.
 
So I try to hold on to my memories through art, and scent is my art form.
Let's not forget your writing Joe, a scent that's not ready yet but we're already imagining how it'll turn out, thanks to your descriptions! Excellent idea on the galbanum, I only have one attar which uses it, and in the fragrances I have where it's used its a very unique note. Green still resinous but not all that sweet, almost bitter green, and a perfect color through which to paint the grass on a moonlit night!
 
Has anyone tried Murasakino by Kyukyodo? Looking at the small box. Sandalwood isn't my favorite incense (I love the oil) but I like the wood when it's mixed with agar. And how's the musk?
With Murasakino I get perfumey florals, agarwood, ambergris, and musk. I’d bet the agarwood is legit, but the perfume, ambergris, and musk…not sure.
 
Back
Top