Fired up some merauke incense sticks the brother Santal&Oud gifted with my last order. Extremely generous...

I believe it's something new from him but pleased so far. Initial hits remind me of kangiitens dreams of merauke. These in comparison are huge though and filled the whole house in a matter of minutes. Will give them a full burn this weekend but I imagine they are in the 45-75min territory.
 
Yes, it is! What are some of your favorites?
Alright.....I have many many resins from Dan, I love them all, but these are the ones that get the most attention around here latetly:

Kua Myrrh (obviously)
Siberian cedar
A+ Chios mastic
Norwegian spruce
Formosa storax
Black storax
Manila elemi
Madagascar elemi
Suhul myrrh
Bisabol myrrh
Peruvian Black copal
Afghani Sumbul
Afghani Black Fasoukh
Siamese Benzoin
Sumatran Benzoin

Boswellias:
Occulta (monkoh!)
Dalzielli (regular & green!)
Black Sacra
Sultan grade Hojari
Carterii
Elongata
Rivae
The Frereanas
Super grade papyfera
Neglecta

Edit: Forgot Galbanum resin


I never put any of these on coals.
They have their own electric heater and thin metal plate which can be scraped clean.
If you're patient enough, you can treat some of them like fine kyara and study them at graduating temperature settings.
What are your go to's?
 
Last edited:
Alright.....I have many many resins from Dan, I love them all, but these are the ones that get the most attention around here latetly:

Kua Myrrh (obviously)
Siberian cedar
A+ Chios mastic
Norwegian spruce
Formosa storax
Black storax
Manila elemi
Madagascar elemi
Suhul myrrh
Bisabol myrrh
Peruvian Black copal
Afghani Sumbul
Afghani Black Fasoukh
Siamese Benzoin
Sumatran Benzoin

Boswellias:
Occulta (monkoh!)
Dalzielli (regular & green!)
Black Sacra
Sultan grade Hojari
Carterii
Elongata
Rivae
The Frereanas
Super grade papyfera
Neglecta

Edit: Forgot Galbanum resin


I never put any of these on coals.
They have their own electric heater and thin metal plate which can be scraped clean.
If you're patient enough, you can treat some of them like fine kyara and study them at graduating temperature settings.
What are your go to's?
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed list! I think I have about half of those on the list. I actually need to spend more time exploring them as I gotten away from my resin collection and some of them I don't think I have ever even burned yet 🤣

I am burning the Sumatran Benzoin right now though, and I do know for a fact I love the Sultan Hojari, Siberian Cedar, Spruce, Rivae, Bisabol, and Kua of course. I also have never tried any on coal.

I will look into some of those others for sure!
 
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed list! I think I have about half of those on the list. I actually need to spend more time exploring them as I gotten away from my resin collection and some of them I don't think I have ever even burned yet 🤣

I am burning the Sumatran Benzoin right now though, and I do know for a fact I love the Sultan Hojari, Siberian Cedar, Spruce, Rivae, Bisabol, and Kua of course. I also have never tried any on coal.

I will look into some of those others for sure!
No problem!
The Siberian cedar is one of my favourite things for the colder months. Super comforting in the dark evenings.
I also have Dioscoridis, Ameero, and some weeping cypress about to land.
Those will be new for me!
 
I also have never tried any on coal.
I don't think you guys should be afraid of using charcoal. Hojari on charcoal is actually pretty incredible, you have to wait after you're done with your Hindi woods, at least that's when I drop the tear in. As it heats up you're greeted with a really cool and intense aroma, sometimes with good Hojari it's almost oceanic blue. Charcoal doesn't leave anything unburned yet if you can time it correctly, or once you develop the intuition, from beginning to end there'll be no burnt notes to contend with. While on subitism I feel like the tears are almost dried out and never quite fully reach that state of cloudy white ash.

That being said it's not like the charcoal doesn't dry them out, same kind of principle, we're forcing volatile aromatic compounds out with heat but I've never slowly heated tears all the way from beginning to an ashy cloud on the subitism.
 
Alright.....I have many many resins from Dan, I love them all, but these are the ones that get the most attention around here latetly:

Kua Myrrh (obviously)
Siberian cedar
A+ Chios mastic
Norwegian spruce
Formosa storax
Black storax
Manila elemi
Madagascar elemi
Suhul myrrh
Bisabol myrrh
Peruvian Black copal
Afghani Sumbul
Afghani Black Fasoukh
Siamese Benzoin
Sumatran Benzoin

Boswellias:
Occulta (monkoh!)
Dalzielli (regular & green!)
Black Sacra
Sultan grade Hojari
Carterii
Elongata
Rivae
The Frereanas
Super grade papyfera
Neglecta

Edit: Forgot Galbanum resin


I never put any of these on coals.
They have their own electric heater and thin metal plate which can be scraped clean.
If you're patient enough, you can treat some of them like fine kyara and study them at graduating temperature settings.
What are your go to's?

I can't aford all of them! Pick three out for me!
 
I don't think you guys should be afraid of using charcoal. Hojari on charcoal is actually pretty incredible, you have to wait after you're done with your Hindi woods, at least that's when I drop the tear in. As it heats up you're greeted with a really cool and intense aroma, sometimes with good Hojari it's almost oceanic blue. Charcoal doesn't leave anything unburned yet if you can time it correctly, or once you develop the intuition, from beginning to end there'll be no burnt notes to contend with. While on subitism I feel like the tears are almost dried out and never quite fully reach that state of cloudy white ash.

That being said it's not like the charcoal doesn't dry them out, same kind of principle, we're forcing volatile aromatic compounds out with heat but I've never slowly heated tears all the way from beginning to an ashy cloud on the subitism.
I tried getting into charcoal a few years ago and I have all the stuff here somewhere, but it sure is nice being able to turn on a power supply and have instant heat 😂

I had bought some of the highest rated coconut charcoal blocks on Amazon and have a good torch but has a very hard time getting the charcoal to light and stay lit.
 
I don't think you guys should be afraid of using charcoal. Hojari on charcoal is actually pretty incredible, you have to wait after you're done with your Hindi woods, at least that's when I drop the tear in. As it heats up you're greeted with a really cool and intense aroma, sometimes with good Hojari it's almost oceanic blue. Charcoal doesn't leave anything unburned yet if you can time it correctly, or once you develop the intuition, from beginning to end there'll be no burnt notes to contend with. While on subitism I feel like the tears are almost dried out and never quite fully reach that state of cloudy white ash.

That being said it's not like the charcoal doesn't dry them out, same kind of principle, we're forcing volatile aromatic compounds out with heat but I've never slowly heated tears all the way from beginning to an ashy cloud on the subitism.
I have tried many of these resins on charcoal, and I agree with you that the Hojari is quite nice.
A few others, too! I guess my room for enjoying scents is a bit small, so I can't smoke myself out too much.
On the other hand, for holidays and such, I've been known to put the bakhoor burner on the window sill and entertain the neighbours with Hojari. Hopefully they enjoy!
Try heating some dalzeilli or occulta very very gently on a ceramic heater and study the more subtle notes.
There's a whole world in there!
 
I have tried many of these resins on charcoal, and I agree with you that the Hojari is quite nice.
A few others, too! I guess my room for enjoying scents is a bit small, so I can't smoke myself out too much.
On the other hand, for holidays and such, I've been known to put the bakhoor burner on the window sill and entertain the neighbours with Hojari. Hopefully they enjoy!
Try heating some dalzeilli or occulta very very gently on a ceramic heater and study the more subtle notes.
There's a whole world in there!
@Ahmaoud , @Simla House, if you had to pick three, which ones would they be, besides the Kua Myrrh?
 
@Ahmaoud , @Simla House, if you had to pick three, which ones would they be, besides the Kua Myrrh?
This is a tough question.

If you’re new to frankincense, the easiest to digest would perhaps be a green hojari, carterii, dalzeilli, black sacra, and frereana. Choosing 3 is a tough one for me. I’ll consider these the easy five for intros. Visit Apothercary’s Garden and see if Dan’s descriptions help you decide between these 5.
 
Yi-Xin Craft Incense: Devdaru - Timber of the Celestials (April 2024)

Hojari frankincense, “Stanford” Cedar, and “sweet Vietnamese aloeswood”.

Frankincense and cedar up-front, with the aloeswood quietly adding additional accompaniment underneath.
 
This is a tough question.

If you’re new to frankincense, the easiest to digest would perhaps be a green hojari, carterii, dalzeilli, black sacra, and frereana. Choosing 3 is a tough one for me. I’ll consider these the easy five for intros. Visit Apothercary’s Garden and see if Dan’s descriptions help you decide between these 5.
This is good advice. I started my scent journey with resins before moving on to wood and ouds. My favorite frankincense is black sacra, which interestingly is not considered to be high quality compared with others like hojari. But I love the darker and warmer scent. Frankincense is indeed a world unto itself!
 
This is good advice. I started my scent journey with resins before moving on to wood and ouds. My favorite frankincense is black sacra, which interestingly is not considered to be high quality compared with others like hojari. But I love the darker and warmer scent. Frankincense is indeed a world unto itself!
Black sacra was my first Boswellia addiction! Such a soothing and refreshing scent!

You are absolutely right, frankincense is its own world and should be explored by olfactory cosmonauts.
 
Back
Top