Got mine today too!! Burnt after Shoyeido Gaho. So could not appreciate it as much. I’ll give it a try tomorrow again
Yeah, I had a hectic day and after things finally settled down I really wanted to wear a nice comfort oud and not have to use my brain to analyze a new stick.

The cooling melon notes he described in the listing sounded like a bad fit for today's cold and grey weather too.
 
Old cigar boxes make such great incense boxes.

This is the majority of my fully sinking stick collection.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    Screenshot_20251030_004512_Gallery.webp
    157.9 KB · Views: 70
What's the value of that box do you reckon?
Thinking about that made me kind of sick, but that is a few years worth of purchases so not actually too bad...

Somewhere north of $1000 but south of $1500. Most of them only have 1-2 sticks missing.

I rarely burn the good stuff. Usually blends or inexpensive agarwood during the day, then nights are for oils.

Fate permitting, when my kids get older I'll have more time during the day time to enjoy the higher end combustibles I've collected.
 
Thinking about that made me kind of sick, but that is a few years worth of purchases so not actually too bad...

Somewhere north of $1000 but south of $1500. Most of them only have 1-2 sticks missing.

I rarely burn the good stuff. Usually blends or inexpensive agarwood during the day, then nights are for oils.

Fate permitting, when my kids get older I'll have more time during the day time to enjoy the higher end combustibles I've collected.
An impressive collection mate.
 
Beautiful. I missed the Vietnamese sinking this month. Do you notice a big difference with sinking grade stick incense?
Yes and no. It's hard to explain. The sinking just generally seem more dense, resinous, and have a stronger presence. But the non-sinking are incredible too.

And for like Dr. Incense blends I usually prefer the non-sinking versions. They just come across more medicinal or meditative when all the herbs and spices aren't hidden behind the density of sinking agarwood.
 
Hmmm..a question to anyone. I decided a while back that i definitely do not like to burn CK when it has been put into a stick of some kind. I've read a few others on here agree. There is something almost sickening about it. It really just becomes too much, particularly if you're in an enclosed space such as an apartment. A heated chip on a sub is a totally different thing. We all know this. It's the combustion that pushes the volatiles too much. So, my question is. How does this differ to wild Kyara that has been blended into a stick? I ask out of a lack of experience and perhaps naivety of never having burnt one before. I've just bought two wild kyara sticks from the latest Kangiiten drop so I am curious as to the differences other than the obvious.
 
Hmmm..a question to anyone. I decided a while back that i definitely do not like to burn CK when it has been put into a stick of some kind. I've read a few others on here agree. There is something almost sickening about it. It really just becomes too much, particularly if you're in an enclosed space such as an apartment. A heated chip on a sub is a totally different thing. We all know this. It's the combustion that pushes the volatiles too much. So, my question is. How does this differ to wild Kyara that has been blended into a stick? I ask out of a lack of experience and perhaps naivety of never having burnt one before. I've just bought two wild kyara sticks from the latest Kangiiten drop so I am curious as to the differences other than the obvious.
I recently heated some wild green kyara (@LasLunas was there). I had recently heated some nice fully saturated cultivated kinam on that same heater so the difference is quite vivid.

It immediately is clear to me why wild would perform better in a stick because at a time and temperature when the cultivated kinam had exhausted all of its essential oil and was producing only wood fiber and simple vanillin notes, the wild old wood was cranking out all of these thick beautiful dense resinous notes. It just kept going and going and going with these beautiful phenolic crackling resin notes absolutely spectacular. A good chunk of CK has maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the "olfactory potential" of the baieido rikoku green kyara, and the rest is wood fiber. I also turned the temperature up quite a bit at the end there on the wild kyara, and unlike the cultivated which just starts smelling like burnt hardwood sawdust, it responded beautifully with these rich roasted resinous notes

I believe in the old stuff, the essential oil polymerizes to form resin which responds to high temperature heating in a beautiful way that the oils in the fresh cultivated material doesn't. I imagine also the wood fibers have somewhat broken down and perhaps more of the lignin has converted into vanillin. Anyway that Green wild stuff is just resin resin resin resin resin on top of all the oil it's absurd
 
I recently heated some wild green kyara (@LasLunas was there). I had recently heated some nice fully saturated cultivated kinam on that same heater so the difference is quite vivid.

It immediately is clear to me why wild would perform better in a stick because at a time and temperature when the cultivated kinam had exhausted all of its essential oil and was producing only wood fiber and simple vanillin notes, the wild old wood was cranking out all of these thick beautiful dense resinous notes. It just kept going and going and going with these beautiful phenolic crackling resin notes absolutely spectacular. A good chunk of CK has maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the "olfactory potential" of the baieido rikoku green kyara, and the rest is wood fiber. I also turned the temperature up quite a bit at the end there on the wild kyara, and unlike the cultivated which just starts smelling like burnt hardwood sawdust, it responded beautifully with these rich roasted resinous notes

I believe in the old stuff, the essential oil polymerizes to form resin which responds to high temperature heating in a beautiful way that the oils in the fresh cultivated material doesn't. I imagine also the wood fibers have somewhat broken down and perhaps more of the lignin has converted into vanillin. Anyway that Green wild stuff is just resin resin resin resin resin on top of all the oil it's absurd
Thanks for explaining that. I'm very excited.🤤😛
 
Back
Top