I'm trying to figure out which order this list reads? I've burnt a section of the stick on the far left. I think it's one of the Kyara sticks? Google translate isn't being entirely accurate. Can someone help please?View attachment 51694
All good. I think I'm figuring it out. Presently burning a portion of Seikado - Tokusen Jinsui Siam. What a blessing to be able to try these sample sets. It was very affordable and is already quite the experience.
 
I've now moved onto a small portion of Yamadamatsu Hojo Red. Again, amazing value sample set. For only $16 Australian I can sample this beautiful stick. Would I ever spend over $300 AU on a full box? Probably not although in saying that..a 19g box could realistically last a lifetime so you would get your monies worth.
 
I've now moved onto a small portion of Yamadamatsu Hojo Red. Again, amazing value sample set. For only $16 Australian I can sample this beautiful stick. Would I ever spend over $300 AU on a full box? Probably not although in saying that..a 19g box could realistically last a lifetime so you would get your monies worth.
Not the way I burn. I’ll have days where I’ll burn 4 premium sticks and days like today where I want to hang with my coughing-dog, and burn nothing at all. I have quite the pile of incense though. Tomorrow’s another day….
 
I'm trying to figure out which order this list reads? I've burnt a section of the stick on the far left. I think it's one of the Kyara sticks? Google translate isn't being entirely accurate. Can someone help please?View attachment 51694
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


This should be it.
 
Yamadamatsu - Ambergris, It comes in a hobby pack with some actual ambergris and a few sticks made with it. I understand the reason why it got banned, but this is just too beautiful. Casually burned it realising how special this is going to be to burn in the future.
 
I've now moved onto a small portion of Yamadamatsu Hojo Red. Again, amazing value sample set. For only $16 Australian I can sample this beautiful stick. Would I ever spend over $300 AU on a full box? Probably not although in saying that..a 19g box could realistically last a lifetime so you would get your monies worth.
After trying the YM line, what stood out to me was that the base agarwood note they use in Ouju seems to be the same was what shows up in the Kyara Hojo sticks as well, just with an adjusted spice base. For me, it really wasn't enjoyable and the kyara sticks not worth the price. Ouju seemed to me like basically the same stick, just minus the spices.

I just tend to get more much skeptical and harsh in my assessment once we start getting into more expensive sticks at the "kyara" range and just ask if they really justify the higher price based on the actual experience, etc.

After trying a bunch of Japanese style kyara sticks and on the flip side, senkoh style sticks that are pure kyara my conclusion is that burning kyara in incense sticks like this is not really the way to go. Id go so far as to say as it could be a waste of materials, especially as compared to the experience of actually heating low temp, or even smelling at room temp.

This is why the blend will most always contained a lot of other ingredients and actual kyara % is usually quite low.

When burning in sticks it seems to go to a fairly obvious Vietnamese profile, sure, it's nice, but nothing really mind blowing or something that's worth $10-$95 a stick.

Even looking at the Seijudo range, I compared Kyara enju, which is of course a great stick, with the lowest in the range the Shiragaku. The cheapest one, Shiragaku, was pretty much on par with Enju and I think most people would have a hard time telling much difference between the two in a blind test.

Sure, there is some difference, obviously, but is it enough for justify $16 per stick vs $3 per stick? I don't think so.

Hopefully my 2 cents can assist those trying out the various ranges or feeling any FOMO about some of these sticks.

Obviously our budgets, preferences, and palates are different.

I know some people here can drop $200, $500, $5,000 on incense and it means nothing, and I know for some that kind of disposable income is out of reach, so as someone who has tried mostly the entire range of things, this is where I've arrived at in this moment on this particular subject 🙂
 
After trying the YM line, what stood out to me was that the base agarwood note they use in Ouju seems to be the same was what shows up in the Kyara Hojo sticks as well, just with an adjusted spice base. For me, it really wasn't enjoyable and the kyara sticks not worth the price. Ouju seemed to me like basically the same stick, just minus the spices.

I just tend to get more much skeptical and harsh in my assessment once we start getting into more expensive sticks at the "kyara" range and just ask if they really justify the higher price based on the actual experience, etc.

After trying a bunch of Japanese style kyara sticks and on the flip side, senkoh style sticks that are pure kyara my conclusion is that burning kyara in incense sticks like this is not really the way to go. Id go so far as to say as it could be a waste of materials, especially as compared to the experience of actually heating low temp, or even smelling at room temp.

This is why the blend will most always contained a lot of other ingredients and actual kyara % is usually quite low.

When burning in sticks it seems to go to a fairly obvious Vietnamese profile, sure, it's nice, but nothing really mind blowing or something that's worth $10-$95 a stick.

Even looking at the Seijudo range, I compared Kyara enju, which is of course a great stick, with the lowest in the range the Shiragaku. The cheapest one, Shiragaku, was pretty much on par with Enju and I think most people would have a hard time telling much difference between the two in a blind test.

Sure, there is some difference, obviously, but is it enough for justify $16 per stick vs $3 per stick? I don't think so.

Hopefully my 2 cents can assist those trying out the various ranges or feeling any FOMO about some of these sticks.

Obviously our budgets, preferences, and palates are different.

I know some people here can drop $200, $500, $5,000 on incense and it means nothing, and I know for some that kind of disposable income is out of reach, so as someone who has tried mostly the entire range of things, this is where I've arrived at in this moment on this particular subject 🙂
As we discussed in the previous thread about the same topic, I still disagree lol
I agree that at the end it's about the taste and budget, but of course there is obvious undeniable differences between low and expensive sticks. I haven't tried any sticks from Yamadamatsu, but I don't see more than %20 similarities between Shiragiku and Kyara Enju in the best case scenario.
I have a role that is %60-%70 of expensive things worth it, and the remaining is not, so there is a chance %40-%30 it is not, and this applies on everything, watches, cars and others.
 
As we discussed in the previous thread about the same topic, I still disagree lol
I agree that at the end it's about the taste and budget, but of course there is obvious undeniable differences between low and expensive sticks. I haven't tried any sticks from Yamadamatsu, but I don't see more than %20 similarities between Shiragiku and Kyara Enju in the best case scenario.
I have a role that is %60-%70 of expensive things worth it, and the remaining is not, so there is a chance %40-%30 it is not, and this applies on everything, watches, cars and others.
Its just funny how many people till today think Shiragiku have a Kyara, i remember since base notes times people were talking about it having scent of Kyara while it doesn't >.> same thing i notice it in some people at Reddit..keep repeating that myth.

Pretty much similar to different types of Kyara's in Enju/Seiran/Horen or the Agarwood line of them and other companies like old Shoyeido and so on.
 
After trying the YM line, what stood out to me was that the base agarwood note they use in Ouju seems to be the same was what shows up in the Kyara Hojo sticks as well, just with an adjusted spice base. For me, it really wasn't enjoyable and the kyara sticks not worth the price. Ouju seemed to me like basically the same stick, just minus the spices.

I just tend to get more much skeptical and harsh in my assessment once we start getting into more expensive sticks at the "kyara" range and just ask if they really justify the higher price based on the actual experience, etc.

After trying a bunch of Japanese style kyara sticks and on the flip side, senkoh style sticks that are pure kyara my conclusion is that burning kyara in incense sticks like this is not really the way to go. Id go so far as to say as it could be a waste of materials, especially as compared to the experience of actually heating low temp, or even smelling at room temp.

This is why the blend will most always contained a lot of other ingredients and actual kyara % is usually quite low.

When burning in sticks it seems to go to a fairly obvious Vietnamese profile, sure, it's nice, but nothing really mind blowing or something that's worth $10-$95 a stick.

Even looking at the Seijudo range, I compared Kyara enju, which is of course a great stick, with the lowest in the range the Shiragaku. The cheapest one, Shiragaku, was pretty much on par with Enju and I think most people would have a hard time telling much difference between the two in a blind test.

Sure, there is some difference, obviously, but is it enough for justify $16 per stick vs $3 per stick? I don't think so.

Hopefully my 2 cents can assist those trying out the various ranges or feeling any FOMO about some of these sticks.

Obviously our budgets, preferences, and palates are different.

I know some people here can drop $200, $500, $5,000 on incense and it means nothing, and I know for some that kind of disposable income is out of reach, so as someone who has tried mostly the entire range of things, this is where I've arrived at in this moment on this particular subject 🙂
I appreciate that and it's totally mirrored a private conversation I am having. I'm absolutely really enjoying these sticks but they haven't knocked me off my chair or anything.
 
Its just funny how many people till today think Shiragiku have a Kyara, i remember since base notes times people were talking about it having scent of Kyara while it doesn't >.> same thing i notice it in some people at Reddit..keep repeating that myth.

Pretty much similar to different types of Kyara's in Enju/Seiran/Horen or the Agarwood line of them and other companies like old Shoyeido and so on.
To be clear, I didn't say or imply that Shiragaku has kyara in it.
 
As we discussed in the previous thread about the same topic, I still disagree lol
I agree that at the end it's about the taste and budget, but of course there is obvious undeniable differences between low and expensive sticks. I haven't tried any sticks from Yamadamatsu, but I don't see more than %20 similarities between Shiragiku and Kyara Enju in the best case scenario.
I have a role that is %60-%70 of expensive things worth it, and the remaining is not, so there is a chance %40-%30 it is not, and this applies on everything, watches, cars and others.
Yeah I hear you, apologies, Im not recalling which thread about the same topic you are referring to.

"Worth it" again comes down to preference and budget, as we both agreed 🙂

I also never said there weren't obvious undeniable differences between various price ranges of sticks.

Of course there are. My point just goes back to how big those differences are and if they are really worth it, etc.

The other thing is that my passion and emotion for these things is not very high, so "worth it" is even lower in my personal experience.

Ive tried/owned pretty much every big name famous kyara sticks alongside pretty much every single big name "kyara/kinam" oil from Ensar and my conclusion is that really none of it is "worth" the inflated and exaggerated prices that they're at today. If I had more emotion for this and/or most disposable income to throw at it, then maybe I would feel differently. I also own a decent amount of actual kyara wood and powder as a means of comparison as well.

I just make the points I make someone who has been on both sides of the equation here as a collector.

Ive been the broke newbie hearing about the mystical high levels of kyara, Oriscent oils, and the like. And then Ive been the guy that's owned mostly all of them. Ive been the obsessively emotionally OCD FOMO driven buyer and now the casual really don't care so much enjoyer, etc.

In the end, we'll all have fairly different experiences, I just hope some of mine is useful and can speak about these things in a more grounded sense. I know I learn from others experiences as well and appreciate learning thru osmosis, etc.
 
I’m so in love with Yamadamatsu Hojo Red right now, and seriously considering another box. I dismissed this stick for over 10 years, but now it really hits the spot👌

I take my preferences really seriously, the scent has to be just right, but I realize we are all unique individuals, I respect that.
So everybody, love what you love🥰
It is indeed a potent, unique, and dare I say, almost medicinal stick for sure. I remember being intrigued by it back when I first tried it and I was first getting into incense sticks as it was unlike any of the senkoh style sticks I have tried before. Maybe I need to revisit again and see 🙂
 
Something new...

Kikujudo Kyara
Not pure Kyara stick, there is some flowers and so on...

Can't wait to try ther Kouboku Ginmi...
Looking forward for the Viet and Indian sandal, even though i doubt it will top Kogado pure sandalwood sticks.
KobukuGinmi is a great line. I have gone throught the Indian sandal box so quickly, and looking forward to get a replacement box.
 
Back
Top