[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
Kyukyodo-wakamatsu (young pine) nerikoh.
Very old box, balls are completely dry, so maybe some aromas are not persistent anymore. Not sure about pine aroma, dry powdery woody sandalwood, an old aroma.
 
Sugar-knot tiger-stripe kyara. I know this isn’t Kyara according to the traditional assessment, but it seems Chinese sellers of high end agarwoods tend to use kyara and kinam frequently to denote certain scent profiles based on oil to resin ratios. Most of this sellers incense is cultivated but this particular stick is labeled as not cultivated and I trust this guy.

The stick is binderless and compressed into a square shape. The shape and high oil content produce a lot of smoke! The scent is saturating and typically a quarter stick does it. The after smell is not very long lasting which is ok by me. It opens with the honey and vanilla and white florals I associate with Chinese white kynam. Then the scent starts bouncing around. Green herbs and mint. Subtle melon and salt. A small touch of milk chocolate wood but all very cool and clean. Almost liquid. This is a real treat and I’m grateful to experience it and have it in my humble library.

The consensus seems to be that the best and rarest woods are increasingly disappearing and skyrocketing prices are correspondingly reflected and will only continue to increase. This gives me a small thrill when I’m able to dip my beak with the rest of you good people and add something rare and beautiful to my incense collection. FOMO like a mofo. I gotta remember to seek balance by giving the actual use and experience of the incense and its fragrance equally due importance as I do the acquisition.
 
Baieido - Koh Shi Boku (Vintage) - Managed to pick up some old stock and boy - this is one of the clearest Kyara sticks I have come across. I already really liked the new version - but this seems to be pure bitter and complex wood and nothing else. Very glad to have found this - a very large box to boot. Incense heaven here.
 
I’m currently burning a stick from sulaym which I got as a sampler in an order around 5ish months ago, I thought I ran out but I found one just now and couldn’t wait to light it. It’s a bit of a mystery to me what’s inside it but I think I saw someone a while back saying it’s frankincense and something else but I could be wrong, anyway I wish I had more of these or they started selling them as it’s so good both to fill a room or just appreciate with a smaller amount. The aroma is clear but balanced with enough complexity so it doesn’t get annoying or overly strong after it’s burnt, I think this is my last stick for real though so it’s sad to see it go.
 
I'm a bit obsessed with the Shoyeido Zukoh powder atm. Man, it smells good and one application lasts for days. When I wet my hair in the shower, I give it a light towel dry and leave it to dry on it's own. When I go to pull my hair back and tie it up, I put a small pile of the zukoh powder into the palm of my hand first, rub them together and then tie my hair up. I've just found on the Wa-no-kaori website a bunch more of various zukoh's. Some even by Yamadamtsu.
 
Back
Top