Yamadamatsu Hojo Red

Layers of spices and dark woods with a balance between sweet and bitter notes. Lying down, burns for almost 40 mins. If I had to associate a color and texture to this, it would be velvet with color somewhere between ruby and merlot.
Good blend.
 
Question for everyone here, I’ve been burning some of Ken’s pure incense sticks and they feel very charred and I have trouble distinguishing between the different varieties. His East Malaysian smells the same as Victoria Jayapura to my nose.

Did any of you notice this in the beginning as well? I’m new to burning Oud incense and I’m wondering if this is a skill I’ll have to develop with my nose. I see so many beautiful reviews of his pure incense line but all I get is charred smoke.
 
Question for everyone here, I’ve been burning some of Ken’s pure incense sticks and they feel very charred and I have trouble distinguishing between the different varieties. His East Malaysian smells the same as Victoria Jayapura to my nose.

Did any of you notice this in the beginning as well? I’m new to burning Oud incense and I’m wondering if this is a skill I’ll have to develop with my nose. I see so many beautiful reviews of his pure incense line but all I get is charred smoke.
it can happen if you smell the incense too close. ideal distance vary depend on what incense you burn but generally speaking I find about 60cm to be good to notice fine nuances. of course, ventilation and prefer air circulation is a must.
 
Question for everyone here, I’ve been burning some of Ken’s pure incense sticks and they feel very charred and I have trouble distinguishing between the different varieties. His East Malaysian smells the same as Victoria Jayapura to my nose.

Did any of you notice this in the beginning as well? I’m new to burning Oud incense and I’m wondering if this is a skill I’ll have to develop with my nose. I see so many beautiful reviews of his pure incense line but all I get is charred smoke.
I do notice Ken’s signature scent which is probably related to the binder ingredients, in some sticks more than others. Of course more exposure to agarwood increases your ability to distinguish varieties, but on the flipside, the agarwood used to make the incense has a lot to do with it also, case in point...Ken’s Ambon first batch.... it rocks!

Today....
Shoyeido Go-un
Makes me think of rural Japan in springtime.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dan
Rose Bakhoor. Beautiful, just clear, strong rose. I am guessing this is made from the remains of Ruh Gulab distillation. For the given price(US $16-20), if you love Roses, this is absolutely stunning. 5+ hours and the whole house smells fantastic. I feel it will stay for at least the whole day.
Very pleasant and people friendly.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_9237.webp
    135.7 KB · Views: 177
  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_9241.webp
    100.3 KB · Views: 164
Rasoul’s Frankincense with Ambergris stick.

A little heavy on the frankincense for my taste, unless if the goal is to fumigate, then it’s just fine.
I guess that it contains a generous amount of ambergris because it comes through no problem.

I now realize that these two main ingredients do go well together, and likely even in an oil blend.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dan
Tyson mentioned one of his favorite simple blend was frank oil and ambergris resin. I agree it's a lovely combination. Oud and musk, oud and ambergris, frank and ambergris all pretty gratifying combinations on some primal level.
 
Question for everyone here, I’ve been burning some of Ken’s pure incense sticks and they feel very charred and I have trouble distinguishing between the different varieties. His East Malaysian smells the same as Victoria Jayapura to my nose.

Did any of you notice this in the beginning as well? I’m new to burning Oud incense and I’m wondering if this is a skill I’ll have to develop with my nose. I see so many beautiful reviews of his pure incense line but all I get is charred smoke.

I heat them on an electric/subitism burner and can detect nuances much better than when I burn them.
 
Back
Top