Few reviews of some recent burns...

Doc I Smiling Orchid— I don’t particularly enjoy the scent of this one, but I could see how others would. Musk, Sandal and Agarwood. But.....be a believer or not this incense has some kind of effect of waking me up and putting me in a fantastic mood. Maybe my Qi is super blocked up or something? Who knows.?

Doc I sinking Samadhi—I forgot I had picked this up. Gorgeous. Well rounded, well made, complex, seemingly made with high quality Agarwood. My number 1 blended incense. Adore it. Can’t wait to try latest, ultimate iteration with Ambergris (package stuck in Hawaii it seems.)

Kens (Yi-Xin Craft incense) For the Buddah— Close in scent to Samadhi. Such a nice burn. Lovely stuff... 2nd best blended from Ken I’ve experienced so far (see below). Should have picked up A LOT more.

Devradu Heavens blessing- This IS the best from Ken. Goes back and forth from floral, well done rose, to Agarwood to frankincense. A treasure. Magnificent. One to burn only on spec occasions. A truly gorgeous incense.

Kens Hawaiian Sandalwood Incense—I just don’t get pure Sandalwood incense, have tried KyaraZen, Doc I and Kens among others....they all smell like burning wood/campfire to me. This one is probably one of the best, but sorry....I just don’t get it I guess? I will keep trying though.

Kens Ocean Gold—A supremely high q incense which I am mad at myself for not picking up more. It was available for a long time. I think a lot of people saw Ambergris and stayed away. The Viet wood (Fusen Red Soil I believe) in this stick is rich and awesome. Awesome. Very nice.

Doc I various processed Agarwood—(Kalimantan, Myanma, Assam, Cambodian, Terranganu, Sri Lankan etc.,.)—seemingly Doc has really stepped up his game recently on these. The sinking pure Agarwood sticks get an A+ from me, and the non-sinking ones are not far behind. They burn perfectly, seem to represent the region very well, and the binder seems to not detract in any way from the wood. Awesome stuff.
Awesome reviews and great seeing you zeedub
 
Burning my last sample stick of Minorien's FU-IN Sandalwood. This seems to be a more sandalwood forward stick that has a really nice duality of woody and creamy tones. Upon closer examination, it does seem like there is more to this stick--maybe some benzoin and gentle spice? Very enjoyable and not really harsh at all as one hears about sandalwood heavy sticks.
 
Kunsyudo - Kunshu
A Singapore incense hobbyist sent me a few various incense samples.

Kunsyudo's Kunshu is one of them. some of you might already know about Kunshudo through a renowned incense video, Scent of Sakai I'm grateful for having the privilege to experience incense from old incense artisan.

I received only two sticks of this incense so this review will be just merely touching the surface level of this incense's true beauty.

The sweetness of agarwood, probably Indonesian agarwood. chocolatey, but linear and shallow in depth.

it reminds me of Baieido's Shukohkoku a bit. meaning, it has a seemingly simple yet complex scent with a lot of familiar ingredients that are easily found in many Japanese incenses. burns fairly quickly.

I can't find unique differences compared to other brands but it's a well-made incense. the soothing quality of sandalwood is noticeable from the lingering scent after the stick diminishes. there's some candy-like, minty sweet scent in that lingering scent as well. clean and distinctively Japanese style sweetness.

enjoyable, easy to approach incense that holds secrets waiting to be heard. excellent.
 
Few reviews of some recent burns...

Doc I Smiling Orchid— I don’t particularly enjoy the scent of this one, but I could see how others would. Musk, Sandal and Agarwood. But.....be a believer or not this incense has some kind of effect of waking me up and putting me in a fantastic mood. Maybe my Qi is super blocked up or something? Who knows.?

Doc I sinking Samadhi—I forgot I had picked this up. Gorgeous. Well rounded, well made, complex, seemingly made with high quality Agarwood. My number 1 blended incense. Adore it. Can’t wait to try latest, ultimate iteration with Ambergris (package stuck in Hawaii it seems.)

Kens (Yi-Xin Craft incense) For the Buddah— Close in scent to Samadhi. Such a nice burn. Lovely stuff... 2nd best blended from Ken I’ve experienced so far (see below). Should have picked up A LOT more.

Devradu Heavens blessing- This IS the best from Ken. Goes back and forth from floral, well done rose, to Agarwood to frankincense. A treasure. Magnificent. One to burn only on spec occasions. A truly gorgeous incense.

Kens Hawaiian Sandalwood Incense—I just don’t get pure Sandalwood incense, have tried KyaraZen, Doc I and Kens among others....they all smell like burning wood/campfire to me. This one is probably one of the best, but sorry....I just don’t get it I guess? I will keep trying though.

Kens Ocean Gold—A supremely high q incense which I am mad at myself for not picking up more. It was available for a long time. I think a lot of people saw Ambergris and stayed away. The Viet wood (Fusen Red Soil I believe) in this stick is rich and awesome. Awesome. Very nice.

Doc I various processed Agarwood—(Kalimantan, Myanma, Assam, Cambodian, Terranganu, Sri Lankan etc.,.)—seemingly Doc has really stepped up his game recently on these. The sinking pure Agarwood sticks get an A+ from me, and the non-sinking ones are not far behind. They burn perfectly, seem to represent the region very well, and the binder seems to not detract in any way from the wood. Awesome stuff.
What's that smell that "Devadaru" exudes when smelled as is? Is it the roses? Did he add some rose oil to it? The ambient aroma is very very potent! It's one of my favorite blends too.
 
Really excited about these 🙂
I found these stick to be on the thicker side as compared to other sticks I have. Started with a small piece of Papua New Guinea stick. Out of the stadium! Total oud bliss. No off notes. Commendable craftsmanship. Attention to detail is palpable from the box itself. The tubes fit snug in the silk lined box.
one.jpg
two.jpg
 
What's that smell that "Devadaru" exudes when smelled as is? Is it the roses? Did he add some rose oil to it? The ambient aroma is very very potent! It's one of my favorite blends too.
I am fairly sure it has rose in it. If I recall I believe there was some sort of fermented cedar of some sort as well. Whatever it is, it’s extremely nice. It is the definition of a “soaring” scent. Extremely potent as you mention. I hope he does more of it.
 
What's that smell that "Devadaru" exudes when smelled as is? Is it the roses? Did he add some rose oil to it? The ambient aroma is very very potent! It's one of my favorite blends too.
The Heaven’s Blessing version is the only one with rose oil added and wow is it amazing or what? So good! I hope he does the Heaven’s Blessing version for this upcoming drop.

Otherwise the main materials I believe are Frankincense, Agarwood, Stanford Cedar and ambergris.
 
The Heaven’s Blessing version is the only one with rose oil added and wow is it amazing or what? So good! I hope he does the Heaven’s Blessing version for this upcoming drop.

Otherwise the main materials I believe are Frankincense, Agarwood, Stanford Cedar and ambergris.
Just because I don't like to assume things 😅 but is it confirmed that he added rose "oil" to the sticks? I don't think any kind of fermentation of Cedar would lead to such a potent sweet aroma. I'm curious to know whether there is rose oil in it or not to see if Ken uses only dry natural ingredients or natural ingredients would encompass essential oils and possibly tincture,etc as well. When I'd asked him directly, he simply said that he uses KZ techniques 😅
 
Straight from the mouth of the man himself....what an interesting story...we still don’t know about the rose but this confirms something we, who have experienced it, know already....its not your average incense...

From Ken C. with permission to post.


“My heart broke, and I rose in a kind of love through that incense - in ways I never could have imagined .. so .. in that sense I was putting together a year of intensity of risks and unknowns - as we all were (mostly, I guess).

So I say it was the genuine interwoven heart-mind-conscious space that made the whole thing so utterly moving - I only have one stick left .. all in all .. the rose had multiple stages of integration and I wouldn’t want to diminish it by specifying the “how” it “popped” as I’m sure you can now understand. That incense brought me to the furthest reaches of my limits and given me new heights to aspire to, among other lessons in processing etc

Cheers for sure 🍵🏝🌺

it’s really from the heart - and.. it’s just that the underlying effort I’m endeavoring to maintain is that it’s not about the ken-ness but about the incense - I want to be out of the way of peoples experience in a sense

That incense is probably the best example of the inter penetrating profundity

I have to also kind of be cool with the fact I might never pull off that incense again haha

It was rather ridiculous”
 
Really excited about these 🙂
I found these stick to be on the thicker side as compared to other sticks I have. Started with a small piece of Papua New Guinea stick. Out of the stadium! Total oud bliss. No off notes. Commendable craftsmanship. Attention to detail is palpable from the box itself. The tubes fit snug in the silk lined box.
View attachment 18192View attachment 18193
Which company are they from?
 
Just because I don't like to assume things 😅 but is it confirmed that he added rose "oil" to the sticks? I don't think any kind of fermentation of Cedar would lead to such a potent sweet aroma. I'm curious to know whether there is rose oil in it or not to see if Ken uses only dry natural ingredients or natural ingredients would encompass essential oils and possibly tincture,etc as well. When I'd asked him directly, he simply said that he uses KZ techniques 😅
Yessir there is definitely rose oil in that stick!
Also the Stanford Cedar was a distillation he made from the cedar itself! He did a couple posts showing the entire process. I believe he custom distilled the oil and uses the shavings and binder in the Stanford Cedar sticks! It’s beautiful how he captured such a pure smell. Also Ken distillls Oud! I think he’s done 3 or 4 distillations now. So fascinating.
 
Yessir there is definitely rose oil in that stick!
Also the Stanford Cedar was a distillation he made from the cedar itself! He did a couple posts showing the entire process. I believe he custom distilled the oil and uses the shavings and binder in the Stanford Cedar sticks! It’s beautiful how he captured such a pure smell. Also Ken distillls Oud! I think he’s done 3 or 4 distillations now. So fascinating.
I purchased his most recent Stanford Cedar stick. Not a big fan. If you'd like, I'd trade you for any of his pure agarwood sticks of same value. 😅
 
I purchased his most recent Stanford Cedar stick. Not a big fan. If you'd like, I'd trade you for any of his pure agarwood sticks of same value. 😅
Thanks for the offer my friend but I have a rather large amount of the Stanford Cedar myself! I like to use it in conjunction with other incense. My favorite combo is burning the Stanford Cedar while I have a Hojari tear on the burner!
 
Spent some more time with Kayo by Yamadamatsu. I am now picking up what I believe to be some benzoin, camphor, and fennel (?). It is fun studying individual sticks and trying to identify the notes. Kayo has a somewhat stout Mysore woodiness, and I notice it is best enjoyed/studied at a range of about four feet in a room with a little airflow. The stick easily perfumes my guest room/office and then some with a nice heady, classic fragrance.
 
Back
Top