He (or his shipper) mixed up Mysore with Timor Agarwood. I had pointed it out to him after I noticed 3 grams of very sandal smelling sticks in my 2 gram agarwood tube and vice versa šŸ˜…
I wonder if any Mysore buyers are noticing a darker profile than they expected. I would’ve loved to have tried that!
 
Burning some Malaysian oud that one of my friends picked it up from Dubai, it burnt really fast on the coal, may be I shd have waited a bit longer for more ash to form. But I added some green Hojari Frankincense from RisingPhoenix perfumery on the same coal, after a while. Beautiful experience.
 
Burned some Khushboo from RPP last night. Very rich and complex, especially compared to most Indian incense you find these days which is not great (I'm sure there are hidden gems I don't know about). The general profile arouses some nostalgia in me as it reminds me of some textile shops in Bradford Sharif I used to go to over 20 years ago, including the one where I got my first Quran and prayer mat when I converted. Trying to pick out individual scents is like chasing shadows as it is constantly morphing: one moment strong sandalwood, the next soft musk, the next frankincense so clean I almost forgot what I was burning. I'm glad I picked these up.

It's nice to get back into Asian incense after years of only burning oud, bakhour, and various Middle Eastern gums. Got some sticks from Japan and Tibet on the way too, can't wait!
 
Indonesian/Brunei/Cultivated Kinam
homemade stick

Still needs more drying,
but just for a sneak peek,
the individual profiles do not stand-out,
it’s has a blended character not regional,
lots of smoke and agarwoodiness.

I have always felt that the smell of combusted Kinam is not quite like gently heated Kinam,
so assessing a Kinam stick can be tricky.
I was always curious about the prospect of using cultivated Kinam in incense. I wonder if creating a tincture and using that in the mix would impart a more true aroma?
 
You getting the osmanthus? Should be almost fruity... that's the main floral component, imo


I get a really interesting ethereal quality to this one. Not so much fruity but my nose still has issues smelling auxiliary notes in incense. Florals seem to be the most difficult for me to smell but with how hot it is outside I found that sitting in my hammock at night and lighting a stick on my back patio creates this scent bubble that just lingers. I’m hoping to bask in this tonight!
 
Back
Top