I have no idea what I’m doing, but you guys have inspired me and I’ve been having fun messing around trying to make some beard products. Nothing super challenging, but fun to mix ingredients and create fragrances. I figured this may be the best place to post it, but apologies if it should go somewhere else!

I made a beard balm the other day with jojoba and sesame seed oils as the carriers and then dissolved some Pinyon Pine resin, some white and dark copal, and some Long Jing green tea. I thickened it with some 100% beeswax from a buddy’s hives and really liked it. It felt like it was just a little too firm, so I reheated it today after I finished the other two projects and added more jojoba/sesame seed oil to thin it a little more. It smells amazing so I split it into 2oz jars to send to buddies, and some to my new Ouddict pal, @Olfactory Nomad in the land down under.

IMG_5643.jpeg


Today’s mission was inspired by this week’s deliveries. I took possession of some raw Lodgepole Pine resin from Montana (US) and when I heated it, it was the best evergreen aroma I’ve ever smelt. There’s this unique to place sweetness with it that I simply can’t stop thinking about. It was in the burner almost all day yesterday and now it’s in a beard oil, all by itself, with the same carriers listed above in the balm. To be fair, I suppose it could be an anything oil, but my plan was to use it for my beard and to only use that single ingredient because I love it so much, already.

Since I was getting everything out to make that Lodgepole Pine oil, I couldn’t help but make another batch. Into the second batch of the same carrier oils (soon to be diversified, as well), I added all of the Green Hojari tears I had on hand now that they’re worthless to me after discovering the ones from @Habz786 are unparalleled. Along with it, I tossed in some mandarin orange peel I’d been drying for about a week as well as some ground, dried white sage. I let both oils hang out in a double boiler for probably 6-8 hours in total, filtered them off, and loaded up some jars!

(Filter photos from the Lodgepole Pine resin)

IMG_5642.jpeg


IMG_5641.jpeg


I’ve got two sets like this from each oil as well as about 100mL of each reserved in a glass jar for future projects!

IMG_5645.jpeg


No clue where it goes from here, but I’m having a blast, so far. That’s a lie, I do know where it goes. @Mr.P schooled me up on Soxhlet extractors and I’ll have one of those here by the weekend. That’ll give me time to research Rotovaps!
 
I have no idea what I’m doing, but you guys have inspired me and I’ve been having fun messing around trying to make some beard products. Nothing super challenging, but fun to mix ingredients and create fragrances. I figured this may be the best place to post it, but apologies if it should go somewhere else!

I made a beard balm the other day with jojoba and sesame seed oils as the carriers and then dissolved some Pinyon Pine resin, some white and dark copal, and some Long Jing green tea. I thickened it with some 100% beeswax from a buddy’s hives and really liked it. It felt like it was just a little too firm, so I reheated it today after I finished the other two projects and added more jojoba/sesame seed oil to thin it a little more. It smells amazing so I split it into 2oz jars to send to buddies, and some to my new Ouddict pal, @Olfactory Nomad in the land down under.

View attachment 52366

Today’s mission was inspired by this week’s deliveries. I took possession of some raw Lodgepole Pine resin from Montana (US) and when I heated it, it was the best evergreen aroma I’ve ever smelt. There’s this unique to place sweetness with it that I simply can’t stop thinking about. It was in the burner almost all day yesterday and now it’s in a beard oil, all by itself, with the same carriers listed above in the balm. To be fair, I suppose it could be an anything oil, but my plan was to use it for my beard and to only use that single ingredient because I love it so much, already.

Since I was getting everything out to make that Lodgepole Pine oil, I couldn’t help but make another batch. Into the second batch of the same carrier oils (soon to be diversified, as well), I added all of the Green Hojari tears I had on hand now that they’re worthless to me after discovering the ones from @Habz786 are unparalleled. Along with it, I tossed in some mandarin orange peel I’d been drying for about a week as well as some ground, dried white sage. I let both oils hang out in a double boiler for probably 6-8 hours in total, filtered them off, and loaded up some jars!

(Filter photos from the Lodgepole Pine resin)

View attachment 52368

View attachment 52369

I’ve got two sets like this from each oil as well as about 100mL of each reserved in a glass jar for future projects!

View attachment 52367

No clue where it goes from here, but I’m having a blast, so far. That’s a lie, I do know where it goes. @Mr.P schooled me up on Soxhlet extractors and I’ll have one of those here by the weekend. That’ll give me time to research Rotovaps!
Excellent project!! Looking forward to using it.
 
I have no idea what I’m doing, but you guys have inspired me and I’ve been having fun messing around trying to make some beard products. Nothing super challenging, but fun to mix ingredients and create fragrances. I figured this may be the best place to post it, but apologies if it should go somewhere else!

I made a beard balm the other day with jojoba and sesame seed oils as the carriers and then dissolved some Pinyon Pine resin, some white and dark copal, and some Long Jing green tea. I thickened it with some 100% beeswax from a buddy’s hives and really liked it. It felt like it was just a little too firm, so I reheated it today after I finished the other two projects and added more jojoba/sesame seed oil to thin it a little more. It smells amazing so I split it into 2oz jars to send to buddies, and some to my new Ouddict pal, @Olfactory Nomad in the land down under.

View attachment 52366

Today’s mission was inspired by this week’s deliveries. I took possession of some raw Lodgepole Pine resin from Montana (US) and when I heated it, it was the best evergreen aroma I’ve ever smelt. There’s this unique to place sweetness with it that I simply can’t stop thinking about. It was in the burner almost all day yesterday and now it’s in a beard oil, all by itself, with the same carriers listed above in the balm. To be fair, I suppose it could be an anything oil, but my plan was to use it for my beard and to only use that single ingredient because I love it so much, already.

Since I was getting everything out to make that Lodgepole Pine oil, I couldn’t help but make another batch. Into the second batch of the same carrier oils (soon to be diversified, as well), I added all of the Green Hojari tears I had on hand now that they’re worthless to me after discovering the ones from @Habz786 are unparalleled. Along with it, I tossed in some mandarin orange peel I’d been drying for about a week as well as some ground, dried white sage. I let both oils hang out in a double boiler for probably 6-8 hours in total, filtered them off, and loaded up some jars!

(Filter photos from the Lodgepole Pine resin)

View attachment 52368

View attachment 52369

I’ve got two sets like this from each oil as well as about 100mL of each reserved in a glass jar for future projects!

View attachment 52367

No clue where it goes from here, but I’m having a blast, so far. That’s a lie, I do know where it goes. @Mr.P schooled me up on Soxhlet extractors and I’ll have one of those here by the weekend. That’ll give me time to research Rotovaps!

it has been fun chatting, nice to see what you're up to here!
 
Got a big-ish (16oz) bottle of Black Seed oil in the mail today, for general health purposes. this batch is a pretty fragrant one - I wonder if anyone has tried to isolate the aromatic principles from this into an essential oil or absolute? I'm sure they have I just haven't tuned into this as an essential oil in the past.

[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
I have no idea what I’m doing, but you guys have inspired me and I’ve been having fun messing around trying to make some beard products. Nothing super challenging, but fun to mix ingredients and create fragrances. I figured this may be the best place to post it, but apologies if it should go somewhere else!

I made a beard balm the other day with jojoba and sesame seed oils as the carriers and then dissolved some Pinyon Pine resin, some white and dark copal, and some Long Jing green tea. I thickened it with some 100% beeswax from a buddy’s hives and really liked it. It felt like it was just a little too firm, so I reheated it today after I finished the other two projects and added more jojoba/sesame seed oil to thin it a little more. It smells amazing so I split it into 2oz jars to send to buddies, and some to my new Ouddict pal, @Olfactory Nomad in the land down under.

View attachment 52366

Today’s mission was inspired by this week’s deliveries. I took possession of some raw Lodgepole Pine resin from Montana (US) and when I heated it, it was the best evergreen aroma I’ve ever smelt. There’s this unique to place sweetness with it that I simply can’t stop thinking about. It was in the burner almost all day yesterday and now it’s in a beard oil, all by itself, with the same carriers listed above in the balm. To be fair, I suppose it could be an anything oil, but my plan was to use it for my beard and to only use that single ingredient because I love it so much, already.

Since I was getting everything out to make that Lodgepole Pine oil, I couldn’t help but make another batch. Into the second batch of the same carrier oils (soon to be diversified, as well), I added all of the Green Hojari tears I had on hand now that they’re worthless to me after discovering the ones from @Habz786 are unparalleled. Along with it, I tossed in some mandarin orange peel I’d been drying for about a week as well as some ground, dried white sage. I let both oils hang out in a double boiler for probably 6-8 hours in total, filtered them off, and loaded up some jars!

(Filter photos from the Lodgepole Pine resin)

View attachment 52368

View attachment 52369

I’ve got two sets like this from each oil as well as about 100mL of each reserved in a glass jar for future projects!

View attachment 52367

No clue where it goes from here, but I’m having a blast, so far. That’s a lie, I do know where it goes. @Mr.P schooled me up on Soxhlet extractors and I’ll have one of those here by the weekend. That’ll give me time to research Rotovaps!
I love these type of , ride-along, mad scientist projects on here. Keep posting.
 
Anyone heard of this before? @Goodness Nose might be interested? The Vetiver Network
International.
The Vetiver Network International (TVNI) is a global, knowledge based network (established in 1996) that supports the promotion of the Vetiver Grass Technology (VGT) and its many applications - collectively known as the Vetiver System (VS). This Facebook group provides for interaction between vetiver users, developers, and the general public who is interested in using vetiver for the better management and conservation of soil and water, environmental engineering, disaster mitigation, and decontamination of polluted land and water.
TVNI is a 100% volunteer organization and has a comprehensive website at: https://www.vetiver.org that provides unlimited access to website information.
 
I spent the day reading on the couch warming four different macerations, two bottles under each arm and a jar of sourdough starter tucked under my shirt. Very productive.
Your update on two of them from Jan. 1st has been open in my browser since then, and I've been keeping it as a reference!

Currently my larger Hindi Oud with Siberian Musk smells like permeant markers, a very iconically "Sharpie-esqe" smell! hahaha
 
Your update on two of them from Jan. 1st has been open in my browser since then, and I've been keeping it as a reference!

Currently my larger Hindi Oud with Siberian Musk smells like permeant markers, a very iconically "Sharpie-esqe" smell! hahaha
🥲wow 😊. One of mine has a milky, plastic smell with flowers right now and there are no florals in it!
 
Oudique - Hainan Betelnut oil (sample)

This is my first encounter with the betelnut. Had to look it up. My first impressions are that it is very potent in a good way. Projects well and has strong sillage.

It smells of French toast, toasted nuts 🌰, marshmallows over the fire 🔥, deep dark caramel and honey notes without being sweet. Has black and white sesame seed, and olive 🫒 brine notes. But not sour or bitter. Really lovely stuff.
 
Valerian resinoid. Strange stuff - sharp green spikenard stinky feet musky salty mineral scent, extremely sweet pungent high register note. Very earthy, somewhat cheesy.

I don't know what to make of this stuff, traces of it could be used to add spikenard like notes but it would have to be used with discretion, for now I just see it as a curiosity.

[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Valerian resinoid. Strange stuff - sharp green spikenard stinky feet musky salty mineral scent, extremely sweet pungent high register note. Very earthy, somewhat cheesy.

I don't know what to make of this stuff, traces of it could be used to add spikenard like notes but it would have to be used with discretion, for now I just see it as a curiosity.

View attachment 52458
I just read a product description of a Valerian oil, I’m pretty sure it was a resinoid. The text compares it to spikenard and mentioned how it might be used as a substitute since spikenard is so endangered. I thought I had bookmarked because I remember your valerian tincture. I’ll have to dig around and see if I can find it. Whoever it was definitely mentioned that it wasn’t a pleasant smell.
 
I just read a product description of a Valerian oil, I’m pretty sure it was a resinoid. The text compares it to spikenard and mentioned how it might be used as a substitute since spikenard is so endangered. I thought I had bookmarked because I remember your valerian tincture. I’ll have to dig around and see if I can find it. Whoever it was definitely mentioned that it wasn’t a pleasant smell.

it's somewhere in between pleasant and unpleasant, with where exactly the needle lies very likely reflecting the types of aromas that one has become accustomed to. I can see both sides but I wouldn't be caught wearing it in public!
 
I don't know what to make of this stuff,
I managed to get quite an accurate impression of a dirty men's room where air freshener and urine smell mix. That was with some ylang. Mixed with woody notes will probably result in a dirty barn with pigs or something..
Thinking that valerian is more suitable if not concentrated this much.
 
I managed to get quite an accurate impression of a dirty men's room where air freshener and urine smell mix. That was with some ylang. Mixed with woody notes will probably result in a dirty barn with pigs or something..
Thinking that valerian is more suitable if not concentrated this much.
Yeah this seems like something to treat like civet, say a 1% tincture, added sparingly (if at all). I suspect it has some potential… there is enough in common with spikenard and fermented lao oud that I can't bring myself to dismiss it entirely.
 
The same oil, with a much higher concentration, has the most enchanting warm dark chocolate scent, and the oil prior to the addition was nothing like that!
I had to check on one of mine after reading your posts. Another Indian oud with musk and AHO’s Santalea, with jasmine polyanthum to connect the two. That sandalwood has such a resin/rosin, floral opener that it was quashing the oud so I added less than a drop of frankincense and that was the missing piece. Sometimes I find frankincense can have a clean milky quality in blends with musk and that quality bridged with the lactic smell of the oud helps knit all the elements together. The frankincense bound with the resin note in the santal and reined that quality in a bit. Now the Jasmine interacts more fully with the oud and the oud with the musk. Also, somehow the addition of the frankincense caused a fleeting melon smell in the opener! The way this works is like on a TV show where they’re tracking crimes on a map with pushpins and red string. The incidents are all over the map but when you tie them all together you see the pattern. Im just starting to get the hang of using like elements to knit a blend together. I feel like now I can sketch out the main notes and then add material to pull out different interactions that support and/ or reinforce others. Having a very small stash of musk has been a game changer.
The same oil, with a much higher concentration, has the most enchanting warm dark chocolate scent, and the oil prior to the addition was nothing like that!
 
Back
Top