Ha, I did a 're drying' of barley with some scottish burning peat (to attempt authenticity). it carries over quite a bit in distillation. i seem to remember the scottish stuff was quite cheap as another avenue
I was hoping to buy some fresh slates but there are no production sites left in my country other that an open air museum. The stuff is commonly available at the local garden center and cheap indeed. I will opt for that unless the museum is willing to sell some.
 
I was hoping to buy some fresh slates but there are no production sites left in my country other that an open air museum. The stuff is commonly available at the local garden center and cheap indeed. I will opt for that unless the museum is willing to sell some.
can you explain the meaning of the word "slate" in this context?
 
can you explain the meaning of the word "slate" in this context?
Screenshot_20260608-052312~2.webp

Maybe i translate wrong. Layers of the peat were harvested like this and put in rows on the fields to dry. The dried stuff, then called turf, was used for heating and cooking.
Screenshot_20260608-053801~2.webp

Guess slate translates to the stone material only? 🙂 While i tried to communicate one of these slices or bricks, in Dutch it's simply a 'turfje'.
Good someone invented images 🙂🙂
 
Last edited:
View attachment 55088
Maybe i translate wrong. Layers of the peat were harvested like this and put in rows on the fields to dry. The dried stuff, then called turf, was used for heating and cooking.
View attachment 55089
Guess slate translates to the stone material only? 🙂 While i tried to communicate one of these slices or bricks, in Dutch it's simply a 'turfje'.
Good someone invented images 🙂🙂
It’s usually sod in English (at least as far as I know) … a sod of peat/turf.
 
Enjoying the heck out of my cheap ck bracelet rubbed down with ck resinoid. I don't notice it 75% of the time but the small cloud of aroma is always there and repeatedly comes to my attention throughout the day. Very nice very subtle
 
Enjoying the heck out of my cheap ck bracelet rubbed down with ck resinoid. I don't notice it 75% of the time but the small cloud of aroma is always there and repeatedly comes to my attention throughout the day. Very nice very subtle
Congrats - sounds awesome. I think next year I will save up my pennies and order a mala from Taiwan.
 
Enjoying the heck out of my cheap ck bracelet rubbed down with ck resinoid. I don't notice it 75% of the time but the small cloud of aroma is always there and repeatedly comes to my attention throughout the day. Very nice very subtle
Nice. Should try that. I do have this
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the daywhich also gives the occasional whif of scent. But such a bracelet is more in line with the tradition and material for sure.
 
This is a native species of rose that grows around wetlands here called Rosa nitida. As you can see this is a wild-type simple five petaled flower, not bred to have the cabbage-like growth of purebred/fancy roses. It's very easy to see that this plant, plum, apple, cherry blossom, and cherry laurel are all variations on the same theme - on different scales and with different proportions to some degree, all of them have this five petaled symmetry with the stamens fused into a ring surrounding the center. it's my understanding that with the cabbage like roses, there are some mutations that caused the stamens to develop into petals, and the very dense roses have been selected for the mutations that cause a large number of the stamens from that ring in the middle do the same.

If you start researching about this one you will read that it's aroma is like a blend of lily of the valley and typical damask rose, something that very much comes through in the fragrance. Before the flowers open there are small buds covered with sticky resin glands that also have a delicate complex floral aroma albeit different and milder than the open flowers. This is one that I am doing my best to reproduce in my yard
- this was proliferating in a rock garden on the edge of a pond on my family's property and I brought one over to my yard. It has been spreading and once I get several large shrubs of it I should be able to pick enough flowers at once to do something fun. I imagine that'll be a couple of years down the road...

IMG_0031.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice. Should try that. I do have this
View attachment 55116which also gives the occasional whif of scent. But such a bracelet is more in line with the tradition and material for sure.
I think a pendant like that is a great idea... having it warmed up by your body heat and hanging more or less directly under your nose seems like a good combination! I had this one Buddhist ritual object that someone brought back for me from Bhutan - it's a locket with some symbols on the surface that you can wear around your neck. The traditional use is to put a little passage of scripture folded up in there if I understand things correctly, I folded up a little paper sachet and put Borneo camphor in it during a period when I was really enjoying that material.
 
Clary sage just about to start giving off an aroma. Up until this point it's essentially devoid of any kind of aromatic or herbal aroma whatsoever. I started these from seed - this was a two-year project with the flowers only showing up on the second year. I have five large specimens I will be able to harvest flowers from this year.

I also threw in a pic of my German chamomile patch (which I also started from seed) and which has greatly exceeded my expectations. Never thought I would get this much from the small plants that I ended up with it at the end of the summer last year and it reproduces wonderfully, in one year it's dispersed through much of my yard.

IMG_0203.webp
IMG_0202.webp

IMG_0200.webp

IMG_0195.webp
 
This is a native species of rose that grows around wetlands here called Rosa nitida. As you can see this is a wild-type simple five petaled flower, not bred to have the cabbage-like growth of purebred/fancy roses. It's very easy to see that this plant, plum, apple, cherry blossom, and cherry laurel are all variations on the same theme - on different scales and with different proportions to some degree, all of them have this five petaled symmetry with the stamens fused into a ring surrounding the center. it's my understanding that with the cabbage like roses, there are some mutations that caused the stamens to develop into petals, and the very dense roses have been selected for the mutations that cause a large number of the stamens from that ring in the middle do the same.

If you start researching about this one you will read that it's aroma is like a blend of lily of the valley and typical damask rose, something that very much comes through in the fragrance. Before the flowers open there are small buds covered with sticky resin glands that also have a delicate complex floral aroma albeit different and milder than the open flowers. This is one that I am doing my best to reproduce in my yard
- this was proliferating in a rock garden on the edge of a pond on my family's property and I brought one over to my yard. It has been spreading and once I get several large shrubs of it I should be able to pick enough flowers at once to do something fun. I imagine that'll be a couple of years down the road...

View attachment 55159
This looks a lot like my Rosa virginiana, or my Virginia wild rose. We had an early, warm wet spring and it has grown out of control. Along with a few other plants. One common milkweed has turned into 50!
 
This looks a lot like my Rosa virginiana, or my Virginia wild rose. We had an early, warm wet spring and it has grown out of control. Along with a few other plants. One common milkweed has turned into 50!
there are a number of wild roses that look roughly similar, not surprised that you have a similar one near you!
 
Yours has deeper, prettier color, TBH.
They are most vivid when they first open so I usually take a photo in the morning - quite a bit paler by the end of the day.
 
Rei ryoko extract of my own making was my scent of the evening last night and is still my scent of the day today. Absolutely remarkable fixative.
 
Ditto, rei ryoko is an amazing material, have to see if I can order seeds for this plant. I really can't believe the aromatic profile and performance, truly unique.

(I turned up nothing searching for plant starts or seeds… seems this one's hard to find).
 
Last edited:
Clary sage just starting to give off aroma, the early smell is quite similar to the essential oil. The flowers become quite a bit more rich and musky as they mature with a strong muscatel type aroma. If you have a spot in a garden and can wait two years this is a plant worth growing.
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Back
Top