[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos

Brunei šŸ‡§šŸ‡³.
 
After the drama on the other thread I thought I'd put up some pictures of the wood a certain person was referring to.
This is compressed resin and fiber agarwood. Very common in Indonesia and now I've seen examples of Cambodian and Viet wood like this too. I guess for a newbie it's easy to be fooled and if it's done with more accuracy it could even cause issues for the seasoned veteran
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
 
After the drama on the other thread I thought I'd put up some pictures of the wood a certain person was referring to.
This is compressed resin and fiber agarwood. Very common in Indonesia and now I've seen examples of Cambodian and Viet wood like this too. I guess for a newbie it's easy to be fooled and if it's done with more accuracy it could even cause issues for the seasoned veteran
View attachment 31854View attachment 31855
man that looks super legit...this is wood that would probably send me to the er hahaha
 
First of all it is way too cheap for fast sinking. Also it's extremely smooth to the touch but that could then be circumvented by saying it's old. When you cut it open it kind of crumbles inside the inside doesn't seem to be as well formed as the outside. Smell is just like agarwood so very hard to tell and some of these guys use resin after distillation as the glue so it's very very difficult to tell. Pretty much the same as if you get a quartz worktop from Compaq or silestone, they're engineered not slabs of cut quartz
 
First of all it is way too cheap for fast sinking. Also it's extremely smooth to the touch but that could then be circumvented by saying it's old. When you cut it open it kind of crumbles inside the inside doesn't seem to be as well formed as the outside. Smell is just like agarwood so very hard to tell and some of these guys use resin after distillation as the glue so it's very very difficult to tell. Pretty much the same as if you get a quartz worktop from Compaq or silestone, they're engineered not slabs of cut quartz
and they sell this garbage as being real agarwood. these people need to be in jail. i'm glad i only shop for collector grade wood and not obsessed with smoking the house up every day lol
 
Some of the fake wood will poor out the resin and form a pool around the chunk being heated also . What I have seen anyway and the smell was not right . I’ve seen a few types and they were similar in scent and if you smell once it’s easier to spot the next time immediately. 🤮
 
I think anybody who’s been in the game for awhile has seen some crazy stuff out there.

Can be challenging to tell even when it’s in your hands. Until you cut into it or heat it - and even then, can at times still be challenging.

I remember a few years back someone up in Canada had purchased a log from the vendor that shall not be named. Cut into it and there was poured metal in the middle. Obviously neither the vendor nor the customer knew otherwise until they had cut into the piece.

I’ve had several logs and chips and woods over the years that would come into my possession that were either obvious fakes, or they were not so obvious, but still suspect. That stuff would not make it into the shop. I have an entire bucket of all that shit here. Obviously I don’t sell any of it. I don’t think any vendor here, wood, knowingly, sell any of that stuff.

Strangely - a lot of woods like these get sold to people. You used to see plethoras of it in the Gulf. Sinai being one obvious iteration of it.

I’ve even gotten in batches of logs that are mixed. You would cut into some, and they would be natural, and cut into others, and some thing would look fishy about them. So, even then, it can be challenging to know what is real from fake, even when they are sold to you together and side-by-side look identical.

Sometimes you simply can’t know.

One of my clients recently was in Asia for the last few months looking around and meeting with people. At the very end of his trip, he had purchased 2.3 kg of a sinking batch. It was hard to tell exactly what it was from the photos, and video he had sent to me, as he was looking for a second opinion.

He ended up having half of the batch brought to him, and he sent half of the batch to my team there in Indonesia.

He received his half shortly before my team received it. Both of them could tell it was fake once it was in their hands. It was SoaSoa.

So sometimes these fakes aren’t even Agarwood, but when they are, it can be extremely challenging.

I know that I was the one that was under attack recently, but it is still true to say that this is the value of Ouddict. Nobody is infallible. Everybody can be fooled. But it’s always nice to have a professional look at something in hand. It still doesn’t guarantee that someone won’t be fooled, but it does an awful lot to minimize the risk to the consumer.

It also goes without saying that someone that has never done business with someone should not be throwing stones at them over some photos.

PS - someone just sent me some photos of a well-known vendor **that is not here on Ouddict**, that I’ve seen spoken of very highly here in the forum. They are selling a bunch of Plantation Kynam as wild stuff for like $400 for 50g. They have an entire shop of it - oils and woods.All plantation Kynam being sold as wild. Somehow, this person is not ā€œdestroying Agarwood for the Westā€.
 
We've got a Theseus's ship situation on our hands, if the wood is wild, but low resin, and we inject resin, does the wood still remain wild šŸ¤” šŸ˜† ?
Is Agarwood distilled in a floral Hydrosol not a pure Oud oil? Or is it an Attar?

Quandaries !! šŸ˜†
 
A few years back I bought some sinking indonesian wood. Photos looked legit.

But received this :

[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos

Obviously - this is some kind of Sinai.

Guess what? It went into the bucket of Shit. Not sold.

PS - as vendors, we take tons of risks and incurr tons of losses on everyone’s behalves. And like any business - those losses have to be recouped somewhere.

In part - It’s why the coconuts cost more in the West than they do in country of origin.
 
Here’s more. Some kind of Sinai :

IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg


Ironically - these were sold to me years and years ago via a Distiller that back in the day, practically all of us had worked with, including he who shall not be named.

He seemed to think they were real. I was the one that had to tell him that this was not real Agarwood. More likely some kind of Sinai.

They actually smell pretty darn good when heated. But it’s not a true Wild, unadulterated agarwood.

Yet another of a multitude of financial losses I’ve had to cover
 
Pretty sure all of us vendors have dozens of stories like this.

One last one I’ll share for now …

There is a collector that years and years ago had gotten in touch with me. He had lots of woods that he had acquired through various Japanese vendors and auctions, as well as through other means. Big thick logs and sinkers. Supposedly very old stuff.

There’s a piece that he had sold me and a few more he had sent over, and was wanting to pass off a lot of his collection to me. Keeping in mind here that this was a seasoned collector, and a lot of it was sourced out of Japan.

I took that piece and several others with me on one of my trips to Japan, and had one of the Kohshi there (Japanese incense masters) give me his opinions. I had even taken some photo and video of the encounter so that there was no doubting my word, which I passed along to this Collector.

Every single piece this Collector had sent me was fake. Every single one. My opinion was not enough for him, but when I got those opinions in Japan, he just about fell apart.

Come to think of it… I was never reimbursed šŸ˜

It’s interesting, though, because visually, even the Kohshi thought some of them would be legit. A few he can tell right away were not Agarwood - but he was genuinely excited about a few of them until we tested them.

Fun time.
 
Meanwhile - the frauds aren’t limited to oils or woods.

Read this post. It’s about Abdenbi - the guy who was manufacturing my original Subitisms. I made a career for this guy as his first - and biggest - wholesale account.

Didn’t stop him from fawking me or a few other vendors over :


If you wondered why I have a new model I just launched - it’s because of this shit brick, Abdenbi, over in France.

Here’s the new and improved. Cost me a fortune to get up and running - after tens of thousands of losses due to that Asshole.

 
Back
Top