I enjoy coffee, and now finally pulled the trigger and splurged on some new coffee gear. I prefer filter coffee over espresso, so I went with:
- NextLevel Pulsar Brewer
- Fellow Ode Brew Grinder Gen 2
- Fellow Stagg EKG Pro Electric Kettle
- Fellow Tally Pro Scale
- Kinto Sepia Jug (love this color, already have their mugs)

And a bunch of beans:
- The naughty dog 'Ethiopia GEDEB - autumn edition'
- The naughty dog 'Ethiopia Jenny's Barrel Coffee'
- Coffea Circulor 'Yemen Almaa Anaerobic'
- DAK Coffee Roasters 'Colombia Milky Cake'

Before I didn't care much about having a nice setup at home, and would just drink some super basic coffee. Hopefully now, I dont have to go out anymore to get a delicious cup of coffee ;-)
Oh, good for you! There's nothing, but nothing, like excellent coffee at home. I started hand-pouring when I was a teenager. The only thing that's changed is that now I have an electric kettle and somewhere I acquired a nice stainless steel filter cone for my all-glass Chemex, so the coffee has drips slower and has a slightly heavier body. I don't like to drink coffee elsewhere because it's not as good as mine 🙂
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
“Decanted” all my tea into smaller containers to organize and save space. They’re labeled with the tea name as well as the recommended recipe. The original big tins/boxes were moved to storage.
 
سُبْحَانَ ٱللهِ!! This is way teas should be organized!! Quite the labor of love as well!
You are a remarkable organized person @Saudalhajri Very impressive indeed.
You all are too kind but I did this for the sake of my wife’s mental health 😂 I love the mess of colorful and unique boxes and tins but she thinks it’s an eyesore, so I made a compromise. And to be honest it makes looking for and making a certain tea easier as they’re all easy to see and not stacked above and behind each other. The only thing I’m worried about is the plastic containers, they’re labeled food safe so hopefully the teas won’t lose any flavor or get plastic leached into them.
This is pre organization for reference (there’s more boxes in the other cabinet)
IMG_7863.jpeg
 
Yes specifically old tree ou’er and old bush oolong, the pu’er assamica trees must be 200 yesrs old and the oolong sinensis bushes must be 60 years old.

If you are interested in Wuyi cultivars, specifically Da Hong Pao is the most famous. Shui Xian is lovely, less oxidized, tastes like a cookie. Shui Jin Gui is heavy and hits like a freight train. Jin Mu Dan is lighter and more floral, easy to get into. Rou Gui is a favorite, it is heavy but balanced, it is what my tea farmer’s family drinks.

They should be flash brewed, the first steep should only be a few seconds. I see some people letting them steep for Taiwanese parameters.

The traditional teas are relatively lower in caffeine, a lot is roasted off. They are very high in other compounds, including L-theanine and GABA.

Don from Mei Leaf brings a lot of good energy and is very knowledgeable. I am unaware of how his tea is processed or the overall quality and potency, but I am sure they are very good. I believe he offers small samples, which would be useful for exploring new teas.

There is saying that one should drink a kilogram of bad tea before good tea. The tea will reveal its true character, after repeated study, similar to agarwood.

What kind of tea/preparation style are you most familiar with? I would recommend a small gaiwan or a 100ml fast pouring yixing teapot. The fast pour seems to be beneficial with open leaf tea
How would you characterize Shui Jin Gui? I should have consulted you before purchasing, but I just bought that and Jin Mudan. I love oolong, but prefer lighter-flavored teas generally. Also, I noticed your comment about flash brewing. Do you include any brewing suggestions with the tea? Thank you 🙂
 
How would you characterize Shui Jin Gui? I should have consulted you before purchasing, but I just bought that and Jin Mudan. I love oolong, but prefer lighter-flavored teas generally. Also, I noticed your comment about flash brewing. Do you include any brewing suggestions with the tea? Thank you 🙂
Greetings! I would catagorize Shui Jin Gui as a "heavy-hitter", the flavor is big and bold, and the headspace it induces is deep and mellow. This profile can be made lighter by using less leaves and more water, or by using cooler temperature water.

We do not include brewing instructions for our tea. This is because we feel that the relationship to, and spiritual connection within, the leaves should be explored openly, like an artist using paint, and the only thing that should be focused on is a present, and active, awareness of the leaves.

I, personally, brew them using a yixing teapot, about 80mL in size, using about 7 grams. I rinse the leaves and then steep for about 1-5+ seconds per infusion. This produces a very thick nectar. Some of our customers use water significantly below boiling temperature, and a lower ratio of leaves, to produce a fruitier, lighter infusion. Others will add the leaves to a thermos, top off with water, and drink throughout the day. We have had customers bake and eat the leaves as well.

Each tea will ultimately prefer different temperatures and times, which can be influenced by the environment that it is brewed in, and ultimately decided on by the preference of the drinker, in regards to potency, mouthfeel, flavor, etc.
 
No I use 20g but I was curious, I googled the name you mentioned and the first result was a 7g precision basket, I’ve never seen someone use 7g, let alone precision.
They are a lot of fun when dialing in your shots. Pullman has a very good one as well. The step down allows for some interesting modification to the body of the flavor profile by utilizing a thicker puck. Sheldon produces some incredible pieces.
 
Has anyone tried Jabana, Sudanese coffee?
It starts with a dark roast Ethiopian bean, preferably freshly roasted then ground to the consistency of sugar.
Then it’s boiled for a few minutes, then ground ginger is added and boiled some more, then filtered to a cup with cardamom Or cinnamon and plenty of sugar.
It’s-I’m not exaggerating- the best type of coffee I’ve had, especially in the winter and in Ramadan. It’s strong but balanced with the sugar, and the ginger adds to it a spiciness that soothes the throat and make you very warm inside and outside, almost sweating. And it can keep you up for days and days.
It’s traditionally drank in a kind of mini ceremony, with frankincense burning and the family gathered around.
 
Has anyone tried Jabana, Sudanese coffee?
It starts with a dark roast Ethiopian bean, preferably freshly roasted then ground to the consistency of sugar.
Then it’s boiled for a few minutes, then ground ginger is added and boiled some more, then filtered to a cup with cardamom Or cinnamon and plenty of sugar.
It’s-I’m not exaggerating- the best type of coffee I’ve had, especially in the winter and in Ramadan. It’s strong but balanced with the sugar, and the ginger adds to it a spiciness that soothes the throat and make you very warm inside and outside, almost sweating. And it can keep you up for days and days.
It’s traditionally drank in a kind of mini ceremony, with frankincense burning and the family gathered around.
Sounds good! A bit like a combination of traditional chai masala with coffee instead of tea!
 
Sounds good! A bit like a combination of traditional chai masala with coffee instead of tea!
Close to Arabic coffee but we do it in a blonde roast and without sugar and with more spices and rarely ginger.
The sudance coffee uses a lot more ginger, I’ve seen 2tsp, a tablespoon in half a liter, and sometimes a teaspoon of ginger in a cup with the coffee poured over it.

Also fun fact, the more sugar they add in the bottom of your cup the more generous they are, or something like that.
I met a Sudanese camel herder on a trek and he almost filled my cup with sugar with a tiny layer of coffee on the top 😂, that was my first experience with Sudanese coffee.
 
I like to keep my options open, vice-wise 😂
 
Back
Top