I wonder if it would be possible to use activated charcoal filter to capture vapors/fumes followed be desorption into solvent then rotovap??? It is 4 am so i might be dreaming.
Interesting idea! I don't know about the practical aspects of it but it sounds like it could work. 🙂
 
Thanks for putting me on to this purveyor! I have like 4 new woods to try but have been sick….. can’t wait to try PureOudh’s stuff down the road. Looks awesome.
Hope you feel better soon. Being sick and not being able to smell is torture.

Also placed an order for Nha Trang from @An Agarwood / he’s got some awesome wood, best to email and ask what might be available “off menu”!

[Ouddict.com] The Anticipation Thread - Share Your 'inbound's!
 
I wonder if it would be possible to use activated charcoal filter to capture vapors/fumes followed be desorption into solvent then rotovap??? It is 4 am so i might be dreaming.
Sort of like a dry enfleurage... would the activated carbon readily give up the stuff it had adsorbed?

i've mentioned here before I saw one patent application from Japan that was for a kinam extractor - wood chips heated in one chamber and an air pump drives the vapor filled air through a bubbler filled with some liquid that would absorb the scent. Presumably recirculating the scented air until the liquid is infused.
 
Sort of like a dry enfleurage... would the activated carbon readily give up the stuff it had adsorbed?

i've mentioned here before I saw one patent application from Japan that was for a kinam extractor - wood chips heated in one chamber and an air pump drives the vapor filled air through a bubbler filled with some liquid that would absorb the scent. Presumably recirculating the scented air until the liquid is infused.
Hmmm..
I was just extrapolating from Air Permitting for automotive adhesive lines. Connecticut requires > 99% efficiency for collection of volatile emissions.
This is often accomplished w activated charcoal scrubber which are then stripped in house to recover solvents, or sent out for stripping. Not exactly the same...but it was still dark out when the thought came to me.
We use same sort of technology to collect breathing zone samples for employee exposure to ketone, alcohols, aldehydes, acetate, heavy metals...
 
Hmmm..
I was just extrapolating from Air Permitting for automotive adhesive lines. Connecticut requires > 99% efficiency for collection of volatile emissions.
This is often accomplished w activated charcoal scrubber which are then stripped in house to recover solvents, or sent out for stripping. Not exactly the same...but it was still dark out when the thought came to me.
We use same sort of technology to collect breathing zone samples for employee exposure to ketone, alcohols, aldehydes, acetate, heavy metals...

very interesting!

I'm imagining (not necessarily planning to actually try) the hillbilly version: using a fish tank air pump to blow kinam vapor through one of those half gallon milk cartons of activated carbon (also for fish tanks), then soaking the activated carbon in alcohol, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
very interesting!

I'm imagining (not necessarily planning to actually try) the hillbilly version: using a fish tank air pump to blow kinam vapor through one of those half gallon milk cartons of activated carbon (also for fish tanks), then soaking the activated carbon in alcohol, etc.
Sort of what I imagined, and if you enclose the Kinam vapor (I would use glass) with enough oxygen flow in to keep it going, then pump into a smaller, more compact tube of charcoal you may end up with less extraneous solvent to remove. However, with that said, sometime it is better to use extra solvent which is easily removed at the end. Seems doable ...maybe a few thoughts and calculations on volume of vapors and mass of activated charcoal required??? Perhaps try it out with some cedar or pine first to determine necessary adjustments without blowing your good wood. Just thinking out loud, and this is why I would love to spend time in person with you!
 
Sort of what I imagined, and if you enclose the Kinam vapor (I would use glass) with enough oxygen flow in to keep it going, then pump into a smaller, more compact tube of charcoal you may end up with less extraneous solvent to remove. However, with that said, sometime it is better to use extra solvent which is easily removed at the end. Seems doable ...maybe a few thoughts and calculations on volume of vapors and mass of activated charcoal required??? Perhaps try it out with some cedar or pine first to determine necessary adjustments without blowing your good wood. Just thinking out loud, and this is why I would love to spend time in person with you!
Thanks, nice thoughts. Look forward to chatting in person one of these days for sure. 🙂
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Americans who have received packages from overseas this week: Have any of you experienced any new hassles or import duties? I have a very small package from Sulaym coming in, 3 x .25 gram. DHL had to collect $20.78 before it can deliver the package. Also waiting on a large package from Australia. That cost many hundreds and a week's worth of nonsense from Customs. They didn't actually reach out to me but I could see the package stuck in Cincinnati thanks to DHL tracking. If I hadn't started bothering DHL, the package would have gone back to Australia the end of the week.
 
Americans who have received packages from overseas this week: Have any of you experienced any new hassles or import duties? I have a very small package from Sulaym coming in, 3 x .25 gram. DHL had to collect $20.78 before it can deliver the package. Also waiting on a large package from Australia. That cost many hundreds and a week's worth of nonsense from Customs. They didn't actually reach out to me but I could see the package stuck in Cincinnati thanks to DHL tracking. If I hadn't started bothering DHL, the package would have gone back to Australia the end of the week.
Yes, I had to pay a tariff on a DHL Express shipment from Habzoud in the UK. It was $19 and change. It was super easy to make payment though and there was no delay. Hopefully the sender included your email and/or phone number with the paperwork. That is how DHL knows how to contact you for payment.
 
What are you doing up so early?
Feeding the dogs, feeding the cats, preparing for work, making my bed, threw in a load of laundry, let dogs out, let dogs in, prep my lunch to take to work, stretch, apply some scent and have a cup of tea, get dressed, hug and kiss the dogs, get to work for 6:00 am. Wow, just writing about the morning exhausts me! But I only go to work 3 days per week now.
I may have left out some details, but you get the picture.
Oh, and read any new threads on the forum to jump start my brain.🤪
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Thanks, nice thoughts. Look forward to chatting in person one of these days for sure. 🙂
Hoping to get out there in 2 or 3 weeks, preferably before the roads are full of leaf peepers! I will contact you directly first. I am looking forward to it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Americans who have received packages from overseas this week: Have any of you experienced any new hassles or import duties? I have a very small package from Sulaym coming in, 3 x .25 gram. DHL had to collect $20.78 before it can deliver the package. Also waiting on a large package from Australia. That cost many hundreds and a week's worth of nonsense from Customs. They didn't actually reach out to me but I could see the package stuck in Cincinnati thanks to DHL tracking. If I hadn't started bothering DHL, the package would have gone back to Australia the end of the week.
I just received a package from the UAE about 10 minutes ago, and I'm in the States; I didn't have to pay any extra fees.
 
Yes, I had to pay a tariff on a DHL Express shipment from Habzoud in the UK. It was $19 and change. It was super easy to make payment though and there was no delay. Hopefully the sender included your email and/or phone number with the paperwork. That is how DHL knows how to contact you for payment.
There was a neat little credit card icon in the text from DHL. It took me a moment to realize that was how I was supposed to pay. Very clever but a little too subtle 😁
 
Top