Hey Everyone! New Here!

Ordered and waiting for shipment:

ASO-Tamil Nadu Sandalwood
ASO Mysore
EOApothocare 1950s Fritzsche Vintage Mysore
EOApothocare Mysore Sandalwood Thick and Buttery
Rising Phoenix Mysore Ateek Pre 2k
Rising Phoenix Mysore Ume 2021
Rising Phoenix Man Musk Attar
Ali Brothers Sandalwood Oil

I went a little crazy, but i love sandalwood oil and wanted more variety and points of comparison. Already have EO Santal Royale and HM Sulaym Mysore, both of which i purchased almost 2 years ago (almost out of the Santal Royale).

I first was introduced to Mysore back in 2005 from a small amount i bought from a specialty store in Seattle. I'd like to find that exact oil but have no clue what year it was from. I seem to remember it being on the spicier woodsy side of the nose. I had put some of that oil on a car freshener paper board type stuff, and lodged it the vent of the taxi i was driving at the time, and it was crazy how many different layers i could smell as it dried off. so deep and heavenly.

Next i want to buy some oud, but i don't have any experience except for some samples i've received. the .25g oil samples seem to mostly get lost in the cap of the vial.
 
Hey Everyone! New Here!

Ordered and waiting for shipment:

ASO-Tamil Nadu Sandalwood
ASO Mysore
EOApothocare 1950s Fritzsche Vintage Mysore
EOApothocare Mysore Sandalwood Thick and Buttery
Rising Phoenix Mysore Ateek Pre 2k
Rising Phoenix Mysore Ume 2021
Rising Phoenix Man Musk Attar
Ali Brothers Sandalwood Oil

I went a little crazy, but i love sandalwood oil and wanted more variety and points of comparison. Already have EO Santal Royale and HM Sulaym Mysore, both of which i purchased almost 2 years ago (almost out of the Santal Royale).

I first was introduced to Mysore back in 2005 from a small amount i bought from a specialty store in Seattle. I'd like to find that exact oil but have no clue what year it was from. I seem to remember it being on the spicier woodsy side of the nose. I had put some of that oil on a car freshener paper board type stuff, and lodged it the vent of the taxi i was driving at the time, and it was crazy how many different layers i could smell as it dried off. so deep and heavenly.

Next i want to buy some oud, but i don't have any experience except for some samples i've received. the .25g oil samples seem to mostly get lost in the cap of the vial.
Welcome ! If you don't mind me asking, which ouds were the ones you received as samples ?
 
Welcome ! If you don't mind me asking, which ouds were the ones you received as samples ?
Thanks! I don't mind you asking at all. When I first received the samples (late 2023/early 2024), the smells weren't quite what I was expecting, and with exception of a couple, I can't say I liked any of the rest. Didn't hate, but thought maybe oud is not for me. So I forgot about the samples for awhile, until recently when I revisited them as I was shopping for more sandalwood oil, and have found the samples to be more agreeable.

From Sulaym, they generously sent along 2 free samples when I purchased the Mysore sandalwood:

-Sambac Elysium
-Sultan's Shamama

I really like the Elysium (both listed as attars) and would have bought some in the last day or two but it is sold out. The shamama is good too, and I think I have smelled something similar, though maybe a cheaper, synthetic(?) version. The Sulaym version smells like quality, but would like to try other stuff first.

From Ensar Oud, they also generously sent along free samples with my order (I've not put any of these on skin):

-Homeros SQ (at first smell, I smell a sharp mosquito spray, and as I keep smelling other scents emerge)
-King Krassna (on a lot of these I get a not unpleasant smoky smell, and with this oil there's a heaviness to the scent)
-Almahera (at first I get a sharpness like the Homeros, but less mosquito spray and more floral or fruity in the sharpness before picking up a smokiness

From Al Sharif Oudh, again with generously sending along free samples of oil when I ordered incense and a sample vial of Mysore:

-Liu Zhi (I like this one from the initial smell 2 years ago and still do, though maybe the plantation origin benefits it with my noob nose)
-Zumurrud (this I also liked from the beginning, it's very interesting to me. A heavy scent, quite masculine.)
-Merauke (it's subtle, almost too faint for me to get a good register on it I think I need more to to properly evaluate)

Those are the received samples, (some ouds, some attars?) would welcome commentary from anyone.

Question for the chat: If I put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol into any of these samples, will it negatively impact the scents of the samples (after alcohol evaporates)? On many of these samples, the oil is either too thick and sticky and stuck to the vial, or there is oil in the lid of the vial that doesn't seem to want to be dislodged. I thought I could help it along If dissolved in the alcohol. Thanks!
 
Thanks! I don't mind you asking at all. When I first received the samples (late 2023/early 2024), the smells weren't quite what I was expecting, and with exception of a couple, I can't say I liked any of the rest. Didn't hate, but thought maybe oud is not for me. So I forgot about the samples for awhile, until recently when I revisited them as I was shopping for more sandalwood oil, and have found the samples to be more agreeable.

From Sulaym, they generously sent along 2 free samples when I purchased the Mysore sandalwood:

-Sambac Elysium
-Sultan's Shamama

I really like the Elysium (both listed as attars) and would have bought some in the last day or two but it is sold out. The shamama is good too, and I think I have smelled something similar, though maybe a cheaper, synthetic(?) version. The Sulaym version smells like quality, but would like to try other stuff first.

From Ensar Oud, they also generously sent along free samples with my order (I've not put any of these on skin):

-Homeros SQ (at first smell, I smell a sharp mosquito spray, and as I keep smelling other scents emerge)
-King Krassna (on a lot of these I get a not unpleasant smoky smell, and with this oil there's a heaviness to the scent)
-Almahera (at first I get a sharpness like the Homeros, but less mosquito spray and more floral or fruity in the sharpness before picking up a smokiness

From Al Sharif Oudh, again with generously sending along free samples of oil when I ordered incense and a sample vial of Mysore:

-Liu Zhi (I like this one from the initial smell 2 years ago and still do, though maybe the plantation origin benefits it with my noob nose)
-Zumurrud (this I also liked from the beginning, it's very interesting to me. A heavy scent, quite masculine.)
-Merauke (it's subtle, almost too faint for me to get a good register on it I think I need more to to properly evaluate)

Those are the received samples, (some ouds, some attars?) would welcome commentary from anyone.

Question for the chat: If I put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol into any of these samples, will it negatively impact the scents of the samples (after alcohol evaporates)? On many of these samples, the oil is either too thick and sticky and stuck to the vial, or there is oil in the lid of the vial that doesn't seem to want to be dislodged. I thought I could help it along If dissolved in the alcohol. Thanks!
In terms of the oud oils, I think it heavily depends on the region of where its from. There are many other variables of course. I'd highly recommend trying as many variations as you can to see if any of them 'click' with you. But based on what you've mentioned it seems like you're leaning more towards the attars as opposed to the pure oud oils. Personally I haven't experienced any of the exact ones you've mentioned but based on the scent profiles, they vary from musk attars to various other blends. If Zumurrud is interesting to you I would recommend trying some more musk based attars from the vendors you've mentioned and any of the other reputable ones that are mentioned on this forum.

In terms of your question for the chat, unfortunately I don't have an answer for that. Someone with much more knowledge and experience would be able to chime in and answer that one.

Ps: If you enjoyed Elysium I would highly recommend trying a sample of Jade Blaze EDM.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! I don't mind you asking at all. When I first received the samples (late 2023/early 2024), the smells weren't quite what I was expecting, and with exception of a couple, I can't say I liked any of the rest. Didn't hate, but thought maybe oud is not for me. So I forgot about the samples for awhile, until recently when I revisited them as I was shopping for more sandalwood oil, and have found the samples to be more agreeable.

From Sulaym, they generously sent along 2 free samples when I purchased the Mysore sandalwood:

-Sambac Elysium
-Sultan's Shamama

I really like the Elysium (both listed as attars) and would have bought some in the last day or two but it is sold out. The shamama is good too, and I think I have smelled something similar, though maybe a cheaper, synthetic(?) version. The Sulaym version smells like quality, but would like to try other stuff first.

From Ensar Oud, they also generously sent along free samples with my order (I've not put any of these on skin):

-Homeros SQ (at first smell, I smell a sharp mosquito spray, and as I keep smelling other scents emerge)
-King Krassna (on a lot of these I get a not unpleasant smoky smell, and with this oil there's a heaviness to the scent)
-Almahera (at first I get a sharpness like the Homeros, but less mosquito spray and more floral or fruity in the sharpness before picking up a smokiness

From Al Sharif Oudh, again with generously sending along free samples of oil when I ordered incense and a sample vial of Mysore:

-Liu Zhi (I like this one from the initial smell 2 years ago and still do, though maybe the plantation origin benefits it with my noob nose)
-Zumurrud (this I also liked from the beginning, it's very interesting to me. A heavy scent, quite masculine.)
-Merauke (it's subtle, almost too faint for me to get a good register on it I think I need more to to properly evaluate)

Those are the received samples, (some ouds, some attars?) would welcome commentary from anyone.

Question for the chat: If I put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol into any of these samples, will it negatively impact the scents of the samples (after alcohol evaporates)? On many of these samples, the oil is either too thick and sticky and stuck to the vial, or there is oil in the lid of the vial that doesn't seem to want to be dislodged. I thought I could help it along If dissolved in the alcohol. Thanks!
it shouldn't cause a problem but the smell of isopropanol for me is really kind of unpleasant and I would try to find some kind of high proof ethyl alcohol if possible.

Theoretically though once the alcohol is gone it shouldn't matter which one you use.
 
Thanks! I don't mind you asking at all. When I first received the samples (late 2023/early 2024), the smells weren't quite what I was expecting, and with exception of a couple, I can't say I liked any of the rest. Didn't hate, but thought maybe oud is not for me. So I forgot about the samples for awhile, until recently when I revisited them as I was shopping for more sandalwood oil, and have found the samples to be more agreeable.

From Sulaym, they generously sent along 2 free samples when I purchased the Mysore sandalwood:

-Sambac Elysium
-Sultan's Shamama

I really like the Elysium (both listed as attars) and would have bought some in the last day or two but it is sold out. The shamama is good too, and I think I have smelled something similar, though maybe a cheaper, synthetic(?) version. The Sulaym version smells like quality, but would like to try other stuff first.

From Ensar Oud, they also generously sent along free samples with my order (I've not put any of these on skin):

-Homeros SQ (at first smell, I smell a sharp mosquito spray, and as I keep smelling other scents emerge)
-King Krassna (on a lot of these I get a not unpleasant smoky smell, and with this oil there's a heaviness to the scent)
-Almahera (at first I get a sharpness like the Homeros, but less mosquito spray and more floral or fruity in the sharpness before picking up a smokiness

From Al Sharif Oudh, again with generously sending along free samples of oil when I ordered incense and a sample vial of Mysore:

-Liu Zhi (I like this one from the initial smell 2 years ago and still do, though maybe the plantation origin benefits it with my noob nose)
-Zumurrud (this I also liked from the beginning, it's very interesting to me. A heavy scent, quite masculine.)
-Merauke (it's subtle, almost too faint for me to get a good register on it I think I need more to to properly evaluate)

Those are the received samples, (some ouds, some attars?) would welcome commentary from anyone.

Question for the chat: If I put a drop or two of rubbing alcohol into any of these samples, will it negatively impact the scents of the samples (after alcohol evaporates)? On many of these samples, the oil is either too thick and sticky and stuck to the vial, or there is oil in the lid of the vial that doesn't seem to want to be dislodged. I thought I could help it along If dissolved in the alcohol. Thanks!
Use perfumers alcohol not rubbing alcohol
 
Use perfumers alcohol not rubbing alcohol
Pure grain alcohol is preferable and often easier to acquire. better have something without phthalates and bitrex.

Perfumer's alcohol is basically just grain alcohol that can be sold at a discount (no vice tax) because it's not potable. It can be a whole heck of a lot cheaper if you're getting it from a legitimate source so it may be worth it if you go through a lot of alcohol and don't mind the adulterants.
 
Pure grain alcohol is preferable and often easier to acquire. better have something without phthalates and bitrex.

Perfumer's alcohol is basically just grain alcohol that can be sold at a discount (no vice tax) because it's not potable. It can be a whole heck of a lot cheaper if you're getting it from a legitimate source so it may be worth it if you go through a lot of alcohol and don't mind the adulterants.
so would you say something like everclear or is an 80 proof vodka good enough?
 
so would you say something like everclear or is an 80 proof vodka good enough?
80 proof is only 40% alcohol and it would not be a very good solvent. I'm able to purchase 95%/190 proof at my liquor store and that's ideal
 
Unfortunately, Teone Reinthal isn't shipping to the U.S. anymore, so my basic advice is buy anything you see that sounds like it might be to your taste. Some of my favorites are Bodhi Tree (great Mysore and amber), Bulgakov (dark, green, anise chypre), Francois (orange blossom, patchouli-driven chypre), Magdala (celebration of myrrh), and Portrait of Jaco (my favorite rose-patchouli).
I love Bodhi Tree, Francois and Magdala. Haven’t tried the others. If I’m at home, one of my favorite things to do is wear Bodhi Tree on one wrist and Zenith of the Radiant Spheres on the other. Its listed notes are vanilla CO2, sandalwood, white lotus and frangipani — all ingredients of BT. The echo, in different proportions, is lovely.
 
Last edited:
Broke my no spending streak on @SULAYM's Jade Blaze Édm & HM Royal Ghaliyah. Two insane bottles that needed to be in my collection.

Hopefully Donny doesn't fleece me out of too much money 😑
Happy to report this arrived today, and I only had to pay the Crown $19.51 for the privilege of purchasing something outside of His Majesty's domain.

Not too bad all things considered, but I'm still salty I have to pay a Trump tax at all.
 
My name is Steve and I’m fragaholic

Group: Hi Steve

HM Royal Civet - SULAYM
Arrived and is amazing!!!

Jade musk version - SULAYM
Got free sample now going for mahogany cap

Oud Sultani: Surira - EO
This is SO good… the drydown in insane!!!! Don’t sleep on this

Fragheads Anonymous - EO
On Dan Browns recommendation

Funkberry - EO
Very interesting… different each time

Iris Noir - EO
Might catch and release… nothing wrong with just don’t think Iris is my thing

Bishara: Borneo 3000 - EO

Oud Session - Elkhaldi Studio

Dukkan - Elkhaldi Studio


We had a good month at work.
thoughts on dukkan or oud session they arrived yet?
 
Top