Whoops, I'm sorry but I think you might change the 'bad' into 'good' influence once you've smelled it! 🙂

Doha is currently sold out, but you might find someone selling it on the Jinkoh Store facebook page? @Mario P. Jinkoh Store is currently cooking up more musky perfumes, but I don't know what they plan to add to it..
You are quick and clever ❤️
 
You are such a bad influence 😂 I just ordered that sinking Sri Lankan from @Habz786. With any luck it will be here next week. ... Now tell me about the Doha. What is it and who's selling it? 😁

I just ordered some of that sinking Sri Lankan from @Habz786 marking my first ever wood purchase. I’m in the process of purchasing a couple of subs, too, along with a few more types of wood to get my initial collection up and running. Perhaps the anticipation will eventually start to wane when I buy things, but I’ve never even smelled real oud before, so I’m over the top excited for some of this stuff to start showing up so I can get started! I’m in the USA and in Alaska, so finding anything in person is going to be impossible. I’ll have to rely on online purchasing to stock my jars. I’d really like to keep the love right here with the artisans on Ouddict, if possible. I wouldn’t even know about this hobby if it weren’t for an offshoot of my research when trying to figure out how to more effectively heat resin incense (landed on a thread, here, about subitism burners), so I want to pay it back by purchasing as much as I can from here in return!!

If anyone has any recommendations for other types of wood I can heat/enjoy, especially from forum artisans/vendors, I’m all ears. Further, if anyone has any chips/pieces lying around that they’d be willing to part with to help a new guy get started, I’d love the opportunity to buy some from you!! I will certainly go down the oud rabbit hole, but I’m so excited to get started using these subs, that I’m even thinking about harvesting local woods and heating them, too, just to see how they may smell. Regardless, I’m definitely over the moon to have finally placed an order and can’t wait to start playing along!
 
Last edited:
I just ordered some of that sinking Sri Lankan from @Habz786 marking my first ever wood purchase. I’m in the process of purchasing a couple of subs, too, along with a few more types of wood to get my initial collection up and running. Perhaps the anticipation will eventually start to wane when I buy things, but I’ve never even smelled real oud before, so I’m over the top excited for some of this stuff to start showing up so I can get started! I’m in the USA and in Alaska, so finding anything in person is going to be impossible. I’ll have to rely on online purchasing to stock my jars. I’d really like to keep the love right here with the artisans on Ouddict, if possible. I wouldn’t even know about this hobby if it weren’t for an offshoot of my research when trying to figure out how to more effectively heat resin incense (landed on a thread, here, about subitism burners), so I want to pay it back by purchasing as much as I can from here in return!!

If anyone has any recommendations for other types of wood I can heat/enjoy, especially from forum artisans/vendors, I’m all ears. Further, if anyone has any chips/pieces lying around that they’d be willing to part with to help a new guy get started, I’d love the opportunity to buy some from you!! I will certainly go down the oud rabbit hole, but I’m so excited to get started using these subs, that I’m even thinking about harvesting local woods and heating them, too, just to see how they may smell. Regardless, I’m definitely over the moon to have finally placed an order and can’t wait to start playing along!
Well done and congratulations. Starting with the sinking from Habz is a very high bar. Remember to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. Not in the product but in your learning curve because, as I have just explained to another new member and from my own experience it can take quite a bit of practice with the sub. As I said though, the sinking grade Sri Lankan is a very high bar. These are rare woods with a long cultural history and we're insanely lucky to have access to them. Not all woods will behave like sinking. In fact, most won't. I'm not saying that incense grade or even daily burn woods aren't and can't be wonderful, because they can. Just that this is a natural product and there WILL be many variables as to how well it will perform on the heater. One chip is rarely like another. Best practice I found is to start your voltage low..like 10volts or there abouts and just gently warm your chip. Leave it there for about a half hour. Turn it off amd leave it. This "unlocks" the oil and resin that's trapped inside the chip and helps towards volatility. Next day, you can go up to about 13volts. It should now start to release a pleasant scent. You don't want to scorch the wood or turn it to toast. Just a gentle heating is enough and often times but not always you acheive a vapour from the chip. Dry air in your room can work better than moist air. Try not to place your sub near a fan or AC. Practice and enjoy. I'm in Australia and have to order everything online as well. It's no biggie. Oudique is a good place to source excellent quality chips with a good variety. https://oudique.com/collections/oud-woods As is Kangiiten https://www.kangiiten.com/ when he's not sold out. Most of the other vendors will have chips at some or all of the times as well. There are some excellent woods available on Etsy but...you buy these at your own risk as they have not been vetted on here (some of them anyway). Enjoy! Apologies for the long winded post.
 
Well done and congratulations. Starting with the sinking from Habz is a very high bar. Remember to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. Not in the product but in your learning curve because, as I have just explained to another new member and from my own experience it can take quite a bit of practice with the sub. As I said though, the sinking grade Sri Lankan is a very high bar. These are rare woods with a long cultural history and we're insanely lucky to have access to them. Not all woods will behave like sinking. In fact, most won't. I'm not saying that incense grade or even daily burn woods aren't and can't be wonderful, because they can. Just that this is a natural product and there WILL be many variables as to how well it will perform on the heater. One chip is rarely like another. Best practice I found is to start your voltage low..like 10volts or there abouts and just gently warm your chip. Leave it there for about a half hour. Turn it off amd leave it. This "unlocks" the oil and resin that's trapped inside the chip and helps towards volatility. Next day, you can go up to about 13volts. It should now start to release a pleasant scent. You don't want to scorch the wood or turn it to toast. Just a gentle heating is enough and often times but not always you acheive a vapour from the chip. Dry air in your room can work better than moist air. Try not to place your sub near a fan or AC. Practice and enjoy. I'm in Australia and have to order everything online as well. It's no biggie. Oudique is a good place to source excellent quality chips with a good variety. https://oudique.com/collections/oud-woods As is Kangiiten https://www.kangiiten.com/ when he's not sold out. Most of the other vendors will have chips at some or all of the times as well. There are some excellent woods available on Etsy but...you buy these at your own risk as they have not been vetted on here (some of them anyway). Enjoy! Apologies for the long winded post.

No apology required! Thank you so much for sharing that information. Managing expectations is always important. Is there value in practicing with more available, perhaps daily burn type of woods to figure out a process before messing with the sinking stuff? Any recommendations for more readily available options that may behave similarly?
 
Well done and congratulations. Starting with the sinking from Habz is a very high bar. Remember to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. Not in the product but in your learning curve because, as I have just explained to another new member and from my own experience it can take quite a bit of practice with the sub. As I said though, the sinking grade Sri Lankan is a very high bar. These are rare woods with a long cultural history and we're insanely lucky to have access to them. Not all woods will behave like sinking. In fact, most won't. I'm not saying that incense grade or even daily burn woods aren't and can't be wonderful, because they can. Just that this is a natural product and there WILL be many variables as to how well it will perform on the heater. One chip is rarely like another. Best practice I found is to start your voltage low..like 10volts or there abouts and just gently warm your chip. Leave it there for about a half hour. Turn it off amd leave it. This "unlocks" the oil and resin that's trapped inside the chip and helps towards volatility. Next day, you can go up to about 13volts. It should now start to release a pleasant scent. You don't want to scorch the wood or turn it to toast. Just a gentle heating is enough and often times but not always you acheive a vapour from the chip. Dry air in your room can work better than moist air. Try not to place your sub near a fan or AC. Practice and enjoy. I'm in Australia and have to order everything online as well. It's no biggie. Oudique is a good place to source excellent quality chips with a good variety. https://oudique.com/collections/oud-woods As is Kangiiten https://www.kangiiten.com/ when he's not sold out. Most of the other vendors will have chips at some or all of the times as well. There are some excellent woods available on Etsy but...you buy these at your own risk as they have not been vetted on here (some of them anyway). Enjoy! Apologies for the long winded post.
stellar advice. I dont have a sub heater, just a non-temp control one. I'm planning on going sub very soon, but my first few experiences were nothing like I imagined. With no experience and only being exposed to perfumed bukhoor and oud oils/attars, despite my efforts to go in a blank slate, any expectations I had were largely immature and juvenile I'm realising. I'm glad I went in with minimal expectations of being pleased vs an intense curiosity. That curiosity took a couple of burns to really get the juices flowing (mine and the chips). I appreciate the sinking sri lankan more with every burn but I'm realising I desperately need more frames of reference. So now I have a modest wood budget. Imagine thinking I could just get the best stuff and that would be it...

edit: @Oud_Dude I think I'm in a similar boat. My plan is to go nuts and burn/heat a little. Rest I plan on saving longer term and using very sparingly as I train my nose with other woods. I would hate to kick myself later for burning through something special I can't appreciate. Having said that, I could also die tomorrow God forbid. So it's a toss up lol
 
stellar advice. I dont have a sub heater, just a non-temp control one. I'm planning on going sub very soon, but my first few experiences were nothing like I imagined. With no experience and only being exposed to perfumed bukhoor and oud oils/attars, despite my efforts to go in a blank slate, any expectations I had were largely immature and juvenile I'm realising. I'm glad I went in with minimal expectations of being pleased vs an intense curiosity. That curiosity took a couple of burns to really get the juices flowing (mine and the chips). I appreciate the sinking sri lankan more with every burn but I'm realising I desperately need more frames of reference. So now I have a modest wood budget. Imagine thinking I could just get the best stuff and that would be it...

edit: @Oud_Dude I think I'm in a similar boat. My plan is to go nuts and burn/heat a little. Rest I plan on saving longer term and using very sparingly as I train my nose with other woods. I would hate to kick myself later for burning through something special I can't appreciate. Having said that, I could also die tomorrow God forbid. So it's a toss up lol
I agree that was a good informative post.

One thing worth mentioning (apologies if someone already mentioned this earlier) is that the shape and size the piece that you are placing on the heater is significant. In the scenario where you are starting at low-voltage on something like a subitism it makes sense to have pieces with a high surface area - small splinters, shavings, that kind of thing. You could use an X-Acto knife to shave off thin curlings, something like that. Definitely don't need chunks larger than a dry grain of rice.
 
I agree that was a good informative post.

One thing worth mentioning (apologies if someone already mentioned this earlier) is that the shape and size the piece that you are placing on the heater is significant. In the scenario where you are starting at low-voltage on something like a subitism it makes sense to have pieces with a high surface area - small splinters, shavings, that kind of thing. You could use an X-Acto knife to shave off thin curlings, something like that. Definitely don't need chunks larger than a dry grain of rice.
You saved me going back and editing my earlier post. It's an important step.
 
No apology required! Thank you so much for sharing that information. Managing expectations is always important. Is there value in practicing with more available, perhaps daily burn type of woods to figure out a process before messing with the sinking stuff? Any recommendations for more readily available options that may behave similarly?
The 40yr old plantation chips that Oudique is presently offering would be a fantastic wood to practice with. I have not tried it but plan on getting some. There is also this https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/181...nse-materials?ref=rlp-featured-anchor-listing available from Etsy. Myself and couple of others can vouch for this seller and product. Smells great.
 
Well done and congratulations. Starting with the sinking from Habz is a very high bar. Remember to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. Not in the product but in your learning curve because, as I have just explained to another new member and from my own experience it can take quite a bit of practice with the sub. As I said though, the sinking grade Sri Lankan is a very high bar. These are rare woods with a long cultural history and we're insanely lucky to have access to them. Not all woods will behave like sinking. In fact, most won't. I'm not saying that incense grade or even daily burn woods aren't and can't be wonderful, because they can. Just that this is a natural product and there WILL be many variables as to how well it will perform on the heater. One chip is rarely like another. Best practice I found is to start your voltage low..like 10volts or there abouts and just gently warm your chip. Leave it there for about a half hour. Turn it off amd leave it. This "unlocks" the oil and resin that's trapped inside the chip and helps towards volatility. Next day, you can go up to about 13volts. It should now start to release a pleasant scent. You don't want to scorch the wood or turn it to toast. Just a gentle heating is enough and often times but not always you acheive a vapour from the chip. Dry air in your room can work better than moist air. Try not to place your sub near a fan or AC. Practice and enjoy. I'm in Australia and have to order everything online as well. It's no biggie. Oudique is a good place to source excellent quality chips with a good variety. https://oudique.com/collections/oud-woods As is Kangiiten https://www.kangiiten.com/ when he's not sold out. Most of the other vendors will have chips at some or all of the times as well. There are some excellent woods available on Etsy but...you buy these at your own risk as they have not been vetted on here (some of them anyway). Enjoy! Apologies for the long winded post.
I find the Habz Sri Lankan to be super-forgiving. Can heat it at a wide range of temperatures and reheat 4-5 times. I had some old, almost rinsed-out bits on at 20 volts yesterday with the element red hot. Smelled amazing and there was almost no smoke.
 
I find the Habz Sri Lankan to be super-forgiving. Can heat it at a wide range of temperatures and reheat 4-5 times. I had some old, almost rinsed-out bits on at 20 volts yesterday with the element red hot. Smelled amazing and there was almost no smoke.
Nice! It's worth also to get in the habit of saving those "spent" chips up. Don't throw them away when you think they're finished. Save them until you have a good 10grams or so and then grind them all up together into a powder. Now put this on the sub. You'll quickly discover there is still a whole lot of love coming out of what remains.
 
Well done and congratulations. Starting with the sinking from Habz is a very high bar. Remember to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment. Not in the product but in your learning curve because, as I have just explained to another new member and from my own experience it can take quite a bit of practice with the sub. As I said though, the sinking grade Sri Lankan is a very high bar. These are rare woods with a long cultural history and we're insanely lucky to have access to them. Not all woods will behave like sinking. In fact, most won't. I'm not saying that incense grade or even daily burn woods aren't and can't be wonderful, because they can. Just that this is a natural product and there WILL be many variables as to how well it will perform on the heater. One chip is rarely like another. Best practice I found is to start your voltage low..like 10volts or there abouts and just gently warm your chip. Leave it there for about a half hour. Turn it off amd leave it. This "unlocks" the oil and resin that's trapped inside the chip and helps towards volatility. Next day, you can go up to about 13volts. It should now start to release a pleasant scent. You don't want to scorch the wood or turn it to toast. Just a gentle heating is enough and often times but not always you acheive a vapour from the chip. Dry air in your room can work better than moist air. Try not to place your sub near a fan or AC. Practice and enjoy. I'm in Australia and have to order everything online as well. It's no biggie. Oudique is a good place to source excellent quality chips with a good variety. https://oudique.com/collections/oud-woods As is Kangiiten https://www.kangiiten.com/ when he's not sold out. Most of the other vendors will have chips at some or all of the times as well. There are some excellent woods available on Etsy but...you buy these at your own risk as they have not been vetted on here (some of them anyway). Enjoy! Apologies for the long winded post.
Interesting
What would be the approximate equivalent temp settings for 10v 13v?
 
Interesting
What would be the approximate equivalent temp settings for 10v 13v?

The specifics of each model's wiring determines the ratio between voltage and temperature, you would need to have the same specific model to be able to share settings in a meaningful way
 
I agree that was a good informative post.

One thing worth mentioning (apologies if someone already mentioned this earlier) is that the shape and size the piece that you are placing on the heater is significant. In the scenario where you are starting at low-voltage on something like a subitism it makes sense to have pieces with a high surface area - small splinters, shavings, that kind of thing. You could use an X-Acto knife to shave off thin curlings, something like that. Definitely don't need chunks larger than a dry grain of rice.

Wow! Thank you for the rice comment at the end. That’s definitely way smaller than I was expecting, so you may have just saved me some money!
 
Wow! Thank you for the rice comment at the end. That’s definitely way smaller than I was expecting, so you may have just saved me some money!
Glad to hear it, I was burning way too much before I got a little sense of scale from someone with more experience when I was starting. Of course that advice is really for close appreciation, although it could gently scent a small room as well.

There is something wonderful about occasionally burning larger pieces of some woods, at a bit higher temperatures, and really fumigating a space. Something else to look forward to once you start tuning into a profile of the wood. Those higher temperatures introduce some notes that are not present at the lower temperatures, and the bigger pieces handle the higher temperatures better.
 
Interesting
What would be the approximate equivalent temp settings for 10v 13v?
Varies from model to model, and probably unit to unit for the handmade ones. 10v on my sub does next to nothing, but it’s hand made, and has a kinda questionable power supply. I want to try and find a better supply for it.
 
Just got done sending some funds to @An Agarwood for one of the beautiful Rosewood subs he builds as well as a handful of his woods. Specifically, I got some of his Ha Tinh Organic, Ha Tinh Antwood, Nha Trang basic grade, and Nha Trang sinking grade.

It may seem silly and I could be making a mistake, but I wanted to have two subs - one for my meditation room and one for my garage. As I mentioned, I wanted to keep the love here on the forum since I wouldn’t know anything about any of this stuff if it weren’t for Ouddict. To that end, I’m also in the process of getting another sub from @OmbréAroma and should be sending the funds over for that one this morning when we figure out the shipping component. I’d say anticipation is at an all time high!
 
Just got done sending some funds to @An Agarwood for one of the beautiful Rosewood subs he builds as well as a handful of his woods. Specifically, I got some of his Ha Tinh Organic, Ha Tinh Antwood, Nha Trang basic grade, and Nha Trang sinking grade.

It may seem silly and I could be making a mistake, but I wanted to have two subs - one for my meditation room and one for my garage. As I mentioned, I wanted to keep the love here on the forum since I wouldn’t know anything about any of this stuff if it weren’t for Ouddict. To that end, I’m also in the process of getting another sub from @OmbréAroma and should be sending the funds over for that one this morning when we figure out the shipping component. I’d say anticipation is at an all time high!
You wouldn’t be the first guy on here to buy more than one sub 😁

The more time I spend on here, the more I come to realise that Ouddict isn’t just a clever/funny name. We’re all jonesin’ for it.
 
Last edited:
IMG_3618.jpg


@Hamza H
 
Last edited:
Top