Mr.P

oud<3er
Ambergris extracts from Tyson. He evaporated out the alcohol and a purified ambergris resinoid was the result. I melted this solid material into high quality sandlwood at about a 1:1 ratio forming a golden liquid. It is set boxed for at least a couple of years and some crystallization of ambrein (I think that’s the name of the chemical that crystallizes in ambergris extracts, but I’m not 100% sure and my books are not on hand.)

I’m reluctant to use sandal. What is a carrier oil because it has such a strong blanket effect, but it actually goes very well with ambergris, which is itself some thing of a blanket.

I have smelled a variety of types of ambergris and Tyson for this particular batch picked a really nice one - smells like it was white or grey, it has a warm mossy and oceanic scent, it really is not held back by the sandalwood.

36349918-306D-4B0F-94CE-9CEBF180688F.jpeg

I have two other batches of his extracts, one which is just like this one and one which doesn’t smell like ambergris at all - it is dark brown in color and smells sweet, candy-like although if I recall it had the “halitosis” aspect of ambergris when it first arrived. I have a hard time connecting the scent of the oddball with any other ambergris have smelled other than that. I don’t know what the situation is with it.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Today’s scent of the day is cat shit. I have been living with my aged father for the past 5 months helping home and looking for a home close by (found one thank goodness!). I brought my cat along with me, and since he does not have any cat doors, a litter box is a must, so I have spent more time interacting with cat shit then I would generally prefer.

The most annoying thing about it is that it really smells like jasmine. Not in a good way. Just enough to ruin Jasmine a little.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Today’s scent of the day is cat shit. I have been living with my aged father for the past 5 months helping home and looking for a home close by (found one thank goodness!). I brought my cat along with me, and since he does not have any cat doors, a litter box is a must, so I have spent more time interacting with cat shit then I would generally prefer.

The most annoying thing about it is that it really smells like jasmine. Not in a good way. Just enough to ruin Jasmine a little.
As high end scent seekers that we are here on Ouddicts......I am not surprised by the cat shit reference.
In my work on the ICU, I regularly have surprise bowl openings from sick patients who are mostly on a combination of different chemical drugs at various stages.
So it can be a bit of a surprise to my colleagues when I sometimes get a note that I quite like from bowel evacuations.....

Mr.P

oud<3er
That’s a surprise. i read of one weird experiment (maybe 100 years ago) where some fragrance chemists left a vat of human feces to decay / ferment for a very long period of time. They claimed the aroma bore a close resemblance to ambergris and was pleasant. Wish I could provide a link.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
That’s a surprise. i read of one weird experiment (maybe 100 years ago) where some fragrance chemists left a vat of human feces to decay / ferment for a very long period of time. They claimed the aroma bore a close resemblance to ambergris and was pleasant. Wish I could provide a link.
Certainly was to me.....Propofol can give a sweet kind of smell. Vancamycen is another with a faint sweet note.
I should add it is rare, extremely rare that it happens....

Jazzoid

True Ouddict
I'm comparing two aged patchouli, one is leafy green and bright and earthy vs. the other's intoxicatingly dark liqueur de Cacao. Every few minutes I change my mind which I like better. RBO / Yusa

I just got 2 more patchouli samples from Yusa, a West Java 2017 and Aceh 2022. Wearing the Aceh now it's still very young and bright, but has an ethereal softness, scintillating energy and good textural depth. I love how patchouli wears by itself, might have to pick up the RBO one too!

Rai Munir

Musk Man

Then better we name it 'catmine'.

Ofaruk

True Ouddict
Oud al Amir from Maison Anthony Marmin. Like all his works, they smell great, are very affordable but i consider them more perfume than attar in the traditional sense. This one has a very short lifespan on my skin, to my nose
What year is your bottle? I have a bottle from 2020. Even though I like the scent, it smells heavily synthetic. I heard that the first batch of Oud al Amir was great and smelled very natural. It must have been released in 2016.

The Scent Guru

Agarwhoreder
Staff member
What year is your bottle? I have a bottle from 2020. Even though I like the scent, it smells heavily synthetic. I heard that the first batch of Oud al Amir was great and smelled very natural. It must have been released in 2016.
It's about the same as yours '20-'21.

Funny because I asked Anthony directly if he used synthetics (of course) but he answered "no added chemistry" or something equally obtuse. Of course it's a French/Arabic blend of chemically derived and natural ingredients. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's not misrepresented, in my opinion.

Ofaruk

True Ouddict
It's about the same as yours '20-'21.

Funny because I asked Anthony directly if he used synthetics (of course) but he answered "no added chemistry" or something equally obtuse. Of course it's a French/Arabic blend of chemically derived and natural ingredients. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's not misrepresented, in my opinion.
Yeah, it is his generic answer to that question, I got the same answer too. His style is still unique imo, especially at that price point, his offerings are no brainer.

Jazzoid

True Ouddict
Hasna by Habzoud
Attar Ansa'ar by Tabeer Oud

Added the 2nd attar about 9 hours later and it's a really nice transition.

The frangipani from Hasna makes the latter's jasmine darker and a fresh watermelon-like note is created. This slightly tames the heavy, sweaty musk/ambergris funk of Ansa'ar, which is one of the most animalic attars I have tried. Right up there with ASO Al Ghaliyah II. But the focus is on exquisite jasmine (distilled I believe) more than oud.

Hasna is best used in hot weather, heat really blows up the frangipani and it takes over the sandalwood base, creating an impressive sillage that has me walking round in circles!

Philip

Oud Fan
Has anyone tried Rose de Taif (the extrait de parfum version) by Perris Monte Carlo?
Curious. I'm looking for a spray, not oil, solifolore/rose - or as close as I can get to a spray soliflore rose.