Patchouli fraction B from Robertet. This is a really nice patchouli oil - put a dab on my collar and I keep getting wafts that remind me of Borneo camphor and sumi ink blocks. Up close I smell pleasant leafy and woody aspects. Great stuff!
 
Lord by Al Rehab. This cheapie is reminiscent of Kouros and Lapidus from 80’s. Classic fougere style and surprisingly pleasant smell. Those who like this genre, please do not belittle this beast and give it a chance.
 
Blue Lotus absolute from an apothecary on one hand, Dr. Incene's Blue Lotus Oud on the other.

I've only smelled Blue Lotus flowers in nature, in old historical parts of Vietnam. It's a heady, heavenly scent in the wild and we eat it too. The absolute has the green leafy part and can almost smell the stale water. The attar is predominantly Oud, that same Tarakan and Cambodian I believe he used in the last attar, Royal Taif Oud. While I can enjoy the absolute neat it certainly is nicer in the attar, with oud.
 
Blue Lotus absolute from an apothecary on one hand, Dr. Incene's Blue Lotus Oud on the other.

I've only smelled Blue Lotus flowers in nature, in old historical parts of Vietnam. It's a heady, heavenly scent in the wild and we eat it too. The absolute has the green leafy part and can almost smell the stale water. The attar is predominantly Oud, that same Tarakan and Cambodian I believe he used in the last attar, Royal Taif Oud. While I can enjoy the absolute neat it certainly is nicer in the attar, with oud.

I agree, the oud in this is the perfect foil to the blue lotus 'wave' which can be quite overwhelming in isolation. I like how this attar is all about the wearer experience, but also works in a social context.

Today am wearing an unreleased spray, Sundaram from Kashti. The focus here is on fennel seed, made fresh with sandalwood, and refined by cinnamon. Castoreum brings emotion without boisterousness, a heavy dose of Meghalaya oud brings it all together and intrigues the wearer.
 
Manuka oil as an emergency underarm deodorant and a big swipe of well aged Aussie sandalwood oil in my forearm. I imagine I can smell/sense the dry desert air coming from both of these oils as… a nice mental field trip
 
Musk Ambergris Tincture, Musk Sandal Maceration, Malaysian and Hindi Oud, Rose, Jasmine, Lotus, Ylang Ylang, Saffron Strand Maceration, Patchouli Perfume: A perfume made in vintage tinctures has immensely complex accords and notes and depth.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Majid Itterji White Ambergris No.1
“100% Pure Ambergris, extremely rich scent, complex, true and long lasting, used extensively in the perfume and pharmaceutical industries”

This has a thick layer of white powder on the bottom, smells like a blend of clary sage absolute and ambroxan / iso-e-super. It has that general ambroxan type fuzz but none of the complexity or nuances of ambergris chunks or tincture

I wear it from time to time, not unpleasant, even though it’s false advertising and a rip-off lol

Feel like it would layer well with saffron
 
City Oud and Al Molousk by @RisingPhoenix. Samples are about 4-5yrs old now, wowee

Both are great, the city oud isn't "oudy" as such, more of a feeling of it, but overall composition is bright and invigorating. Comes across as a non-Arabic type attar to me due to it feeling quite light in nature

The Molousk is super smooth and inviting, sandalwoody and high quality
 
A little dab of rose petals natural from Robertet. This is a proprietary molecular distillate/extract that comes in a bit cheaper than otto, but has similar properties in terms of scent, congealing when cool, etc..

I’m still trying to understand this oil. It lacks the freshness and sparkle of a recently distilled Bulgarian rose oil but has its own charms.

What I noticed today was a nice chewy, sweet apple-like scent that reminds me of sticking my nose into the little yellow cup of anthers in the middle of a Rosa rugosa flower. There’s a certain intriguing apple-rose sweetness in that particular part of that species that this brings to mind.
 
I got a jar of ambrox super from Firmenich. This is the company that originally patented ambroxan made from clary sage. It is supposedly more refined than generic ambroxan and has a higher % of the better smelling isomer. To me it is much more pleasant than the other ambroxan I have a sample of.

This is the same molecule that accumulates in ambergris as it floats in the sea and oxidizes and ages. The solid waxy material (ambrein) slowly oxidizes into ambroxan as the ambergris ages from what I have read.
 
I got a jar of ambrox super from Firmenich. This is the company that originally patented ambroxan made from clary sage. It is supposedly more refined than generic ambroxan and has a higher % of the better smelling isomer. To me it is much more pleasant than the other ambroxan I have a sample of.

This is the same molecule that accumulates in ambergris as it floats in the sea and oxidizes and ages. The solid waxy material (ambrein) slowly oxidizes into ambroxan as the ambergris ages from what I have read.
That sounds great. I'd like to try ambrox in isolation as everyone bemoans its use in modern spray fragrances, but it'd be good to definitively know its aroma
 
I smell wafts of ambroxan whenever I am in crowds of younger people. I don’t care for its use in modern fragrance, but the molecule self is very interesting. I have found some effects when layering with it that are very pleasing. Again, this new product is much better than the previous. I couldn’t wear the previous one, but this one I enjoy.

Really the only synthetics I’m interested in are ambroxan and l-muscone. L- Muscone in such a strange one. At the wrong concentration, it can be cloying, and soapy and irritating, but blended in subtly or adds a very nice effect.

I like the idea of being able to use these molecules instead of actual ambergris or musk. I just don’t feel comfortable using animal musk , except for perhaps small specimens for study.

These molecules will never substitute, but they can allow you to get some great blends that have some aspects of the old style perfumes/attars
 
Back
Top