Today I'm wearing my very first blend of my own ... prepared with various ouds (mostly Burmese, Hindi, Thai, sourced from vendors on this forum), plus a touch of rose oil, some deer musk + sandalwood (again, Ouddict vendors), plus a wisp of beeswax absolute and saffron absolute, both diluted in DPG.

I must say, this was a completely unscientific blend that I decided to put together after enjoying the scent of swiping and layering various materials on my arms. I didn't even measure, just used pipettes and blended amounts that "felt" right. Overall it's probably something like 80% oud, 15% deer musk, 5% rose/beeswax/saffron.

Certainly not a professional work, but it smells lovely and just by thinking about this and blending these materials together I feel I learned quite a bit.
from the sound it of, it will smell very wonderful and traditional oriental blend. hope you enjoy it
 
Smelling mesoud’s fareed attar. This is a very interesting perfume - i smell cedar and a warm waxiness in the opening on blotter paper… after a time a smell almost like the notes in fine olive oil and a hint of a smell like mimosa. On skin the opening is much more complex… some kind of rich tanginess and a multi layered sparkling vibe. Time passed and now i am getting a soft powdery scent, very clean smelling with something warm and woody coming gradually to the front. This one is really hard for me to dissect, i won’t attempt to guess at the ingredients. I need to go back to the release notes and remind myself what’s in here. I know cedar and civet are part of it… so neat that people are making these co-distillations. I am happy to have a little sample of this to experience.
 
Last edited:
Smelling mesoud’s fareed attar. This is a very interesting perfume - i smell cedar and a warm waxiness in the opening on blotter paper… after a time a smell almost like the notes in fine olive oil and a hint of a smell like mimosa. On skin the opening is much more complex… some kind of rich tanginess and a multi layered sparkling vibe. Time passed and now i am getting a soft powdery scent, very clean smelling with something warm and woody coming gradually to the front. This one is really hard for me to dissect, i won’t attempt to guess at the ingredients. I need to go back to the release notes and remind myself what’s in here. I know cedar and civet are part of it… so neat that people are making these co-distillations. I am happy to have a little sample of this to experience.
Wowww mr.p
Really again appreciated your noise
-warm waxiniess comes from propolis
-And indeed there was a small amount of mimosa concrete,but you got it too
-spices:black pepper,cinnamon,cardamom
-woods:
Sandalwood,cedarwood,juniperwood,4 different ouds
 
I will wear it again over the next few days and see what I see. Black pepper - that is where the tangy zing is coming from! I couldn’t quite see it - pepper adds some really interesting notes besides just pepper. The cinnamon and cardamom makes sense but they were well melded and I would not have guessed. I am enjoying a light cedary residue on my wrist from when I applied it earlier today. Glad to hear there was mimosa in there - that note is pretty subtle and adds a nice soft powdery quality to the blend as it unfolds.
 
Yet another crazy day of weather in Melbourne today. I woke up to a huge lightning storm, I’d see a flash in the sky & then one or two seconds later a massive BOOM. It appeared as though it was directly above my house which was slightly alarming! Within the hour the lightning, thunder & rain had cleared to blue skies & sunshine, 30 degrees & quite humid.

Cambodi Musk - The Oud Lab. Aside from the masterfully curated Oud oils & wood, AT has great attars also. TOL is my second favourite house just behind Al Shareef Oudh. I’m consistently impressed with the high quality of products across the board. His oils are a meeting point of a traditional & modern aesthetic. Grand resinous-incensey profiles, but clean straight lines without excessive fermentation or dark smokiness. The customer service is fantastic, AT is very knowledgeable, along with ASO I’ve learnt the most from these two talented brothers.

Cambodi Musk is Koh Kong / Musk maceration from my memory. Initially, the top is that of ever so slight Crassna barn before the classic deep red fruit, caramel, tobacco, incense, anise, greenness of the Cambodi Oud develops. As the scent progresses a subtle, yet refined touch of Musk begins to emerge. Not only does it fixate the Oud to the skin & push the diffusion, it adds a furry, animalic, leathery, powdery touch. Also, seemingly enhancing the fruitiness of the Oud. It’s a fantastic balance, the Musk never takes over, it feels like it’s there to elevate the Oud to another level.

Deceptively simple, masterfully executed. What more do you need than Oud & Musk?
 
Last edited:
I am in jasmine sambac bliss here… I have smelled a fair number of absolutes, attars, and distillates of jasmine sambac and thought I had it figured out. These two oils (ruh mogra from Annajwa and Ruh Bela kannauj from Ward Lab) remind me that I have a lot to learn… which is always good news.

These are both so freaking pleasant… all of the notes smell consistent with what I have smelled in sambac, just in a much more appealing balance. Anyway, my enjoyment of these oils poses a moral dilemma for me: I would really hate to hype them and then as a result, never be able to get another bottle. Obviously, these guys deserve recognition… IO super hoi an and that mesoud tarkan qadeem are others that have triggered the “all mine” instinct.

The kannauj oil has a kind of rustic deg-distilled vibe to it that also comes through in ruh gulab. I like this note and on skin it unfolds into a beautiful array of tangy and appealing floral and candylike jasmine tea notes. It’s just seems like a perfect example of the purified / concentrated floral note that you get in the authentic Sambac / Sandalwood attars. As I have said, before, this one is a prized specimen for me.

The mogra has none of what i believe is the deg or field still vibe. Very clean and to me the beauty in this one is especially in the delicate yet heady floral notes that are first perceived at a fair distance on application. It’s a very distinct effect - after applying a dab, the air around me seems filled with these particular delicate shifting floral scents. This effect is best experienced with your wrist far from your nose, but the oil is very well balanced, and also smells great with a closer sniff.

These oil are both incredibly balanced and appealing throughout their evaporation, and avoid the common shrill or distracting waxy note that can be found even in premium sambac concrete and absolute.

these are both trophy oils for me (if I’m using the term right) that I will use extremely carefully.

IMG_4710.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I am in jasmine sambac bliss here… I have smelled a fair number of absolutes, attars, and distillates of jasmine sambac and thought I had it figured out. These two oils (ruh mogra from Annajwa and Ruh Bela kannauj from Ward Lab) remind me that I have a lot to learn… which is always good news.

These are both so freaking pleasant… all of the notes smell consistent with what I have smelled in sambac, just in a much more appealing balance. Anyway, my enjoyment of these oils poses a moral dilemma for me: I would really hate to hype them and then as a result, never be able to get another bottle. Obviously, these guys deserve recognition… IO super hoi an and that mesoud tarkan qadeem are others that have triggered the “all mine” instinct.

The kannauj oil has a kind of rustic deg-distilled vibe to it that also comes through in ruh gulab. I like this note and on skin it unfolds into a beautiful array of tangy and appealing floral and candylike jasmine tea notes. It’s just seems like a perfect example of the purified / concentrated floral note that you get in the authentic Sambac / Sandalwood attars. As I have said, before, this one is a prized specimen for me.

The mogra has none of what i believe is the deg or field still vibe. Very clean and to me the beauty in this one is especially in the delicate yet heady floral notes that are first perceived at a fair distance on application. It’s a very distinct effect - after applying a dab, the air around me seems filled with these particular delicate shifting floral scents. This effect is best experienced with your wrist far from your nose, but the oil is very well balanced, and also smells great with a closer sniff.

These oil are both incredibly balanced and appealing throughout their evaporation, and avoid the common shrill or distracting waxy note that can be found even in premium sambac concrete and absolute.

these are both trophy oils for me (if I’m using the term right) that I will use extremely carefully.

View attachment 34036
I am in total agreement with you, now I need to hurry in buying a bottle from an Najwa as I have to own one, I only have a sample at the moment. I have a bottle of Ruh bela India 2021 from Wardlab I get a really nice resinous opening but the rest is a similar experience to yours. Is this the same Jasmine? whether it is or not it is good enough to.wear on its own, really is lovely.
 
On the left, Ruh Bela Kannauj (hydrodistilled) has a greeness to me, like smelling the entire brush/vine, flowers and all.

On the right, I put a dot of Sweeders (on Ebay) Jasmine Sambac (absolute), strong stuff with just the tiniest hint of indole, an indole that reminds me of my Siberian Castoreum tincture.

I like both.
 
I am in total agreement with you, now I need to hurry in buying a bottle from an Najwa as I have to own one, I only have a sample at the moment. I have a bottle of Ruh bela India 2021 from Wardlab I get a really nice resinous opening but the rest is a similar experience to yours. Is this the same Jasmine? whether it is or not it is good enough to.wear on its own, really is lovely.
As far as I can tell, it is the same Jasmine. That opening note is one that I see in my old authentic sandalwood based attars from the same region (possibly from the same stills as they were all from Kannauj). I can see the adjective resinous applying for sure. That oil is delightful on its own, as is the Mogra as I see it. Love wearing these - with both, a small dab will have you smelling a variety of delightful jasmine notes. The Mogra releases them all at once, the Bela unfolds more slowly I think and olfactory surprises pop up as time goes on.
 
I’ve been smelling the Mongra saffron from An Najwa for the past few days, soaking it up and reflecting on how to extract it. One thought is to soak in sandalwood oil. Santalol natural isolate would be another option. I was thinking the unique characteristics of Australian Sandalwood oil might make a particularly good pairing with this. I will certainly extract some with alcohol because it’s relatively speedy and i am curious to see what happens. Other oils that might work would be cedar, copaiba balsam, would probably be very interesting with patchouly oil…

Any other suggestions? Either appealing pairings or good receivers for the saffron fragrance?
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
I’ve been smelling the Mongra saffron from An Najwa for the past few days, soaking it up and reflecting on how to extract it. One thought is to soak in sandalwood oil. Santalol natural isolate would be another option. I was thinking the unique characteristics of Australian Sandalwood oil might make a particularly good pairing with this. I will certainly extract some with alcohol because it’s relatively speedy and i am curious to see what happens. Other oils that might work would be cedar, copaiba balsam, would probably be very interesting with patchouly oil…

Any other suggestions? Either appealing pairings or good receivers for the saffron fragrance?View attachment 34110
This saffron smells very good and is really fresh.
 
Sunday morning, heading out to a cafe with the family for breakfast.
Elevation - ASO. The best spray perfume I’ve ever smelt! A bright, vaporous sparkling Kinamic top note, before an orchestra of dark incensey antique Malaysian, Indonesian & Filli Oud heart notes. Slightly jungle green, black, hints of smoke, deeply woody & resinous.
The dry down is a long lasting effect of high grade Vietnamese Crassna; red fruits, vanillic sweetness, balsamic, slightly powdery. Musk / Ambergris fill in the gaps, adding their touch of refinement but also connecting all the different Oud profiles.
A beautiful composition, rich & decadent, dark & opaque but not animalic, barnyard or overly smoky. For the most part Oud sprays are disappointing but with ASO you can actually smell the Oud. When paying high prices I don’t want to be smelling spices or resins for too long!
 
An Najwa - Ghaliya Banu Hashim
A beautiful attar that covers my favorite categories being a gourmand, animalic but pleasent
Starts with a tonka sweetness slight oudiness with a musky support. The musk shows up after the tonka and gourmand sweetness settle down. It gives an animalic support that settles slowly and turns into a powdery musk tonka vanilla sweetness 😋
 
I am especially fond of that blend although I think I’ve only smelled it in a semi-complete state and it was just fantastic

Speaking of fragrances of the day, I have a few things to review from Ward Lab and from An Najwa. I got some very interesting samples of attar and oud with my last purchase from An Najwa and a package of samples from ward lab.

From Ward Lab another interesting CK oil, some jasmine samples, and cardamom. I’ve been trying to find a really good CK oil as a workhorse oud for blending and the three different specimens I received from Ward Lab each emphasize a different facet of the CK experience that I appreciate. pretty excited about the prospect of CK oils in general as a perfume ingredient

The most recent one shares many of the openings as that first CK oil ejayb distilled but the dry down is much more like the heated wood than ejayb’s which was more isolated top and floral / sugary oriented without really hitting minty or “ck on a subitism” scent. Sweet, floral, complex and fresh/lively opening.

The first sample of ck I received from WL really emphasizes soft minty notes and has the most charmingly kinam- like dry down. Something special about this one… sadly a little out of my price range for it’s intended purpose in blending. I think this is the best one from the perspective of presenting the dignified and balanced notes of kinam. The opening is lighthearted, but the dry down is spot on. This is the one I would pick as a personal scent.

The second has more complex woody and robust aroma with a balsamic / animalic background and a bit of a spicy/hot edge for lack of a better adjective. This one seems to be a good one for blending because of its pungency, and it’s slight salivary notes. This is the more exotic of the three, and has enough bite to be intriguing as a part of a mixture.

I’ve been meaning to write more detailed descriptions… I will eventually get comments on all of these oils up here because that’s pretty much what I feel compelled to do whenever I encounter some wonderful scent.

Not quite as much time on my hands as a couple of months ago when I was first setting up my perfume laboratory and business. also, finally getting to know people near me. I moved 3000 miles from my buddies 🙁 and my ex 🙂 last March. Finally have a few dates lined up… last time was 1993!
 
Last edited:
I received Annajwa - Ghaliya Banu Hashim the other day & I’ve been wearing it in the evenings after work. I’m highly impressed with this attar, the blending is very smooth & balanced. A beautiful composition, Ouds & Rose are supported by a glorious Musk / Ambergris base, dark, warm & rounded, powdery, leathery, resinous, slightly sweet, incensey. It feels traditional & ancient yet very wearable. Excellent persistence on skin & fabric, also.

I was also sent a sample of their Ruh Khus 2020. I often forget how lovely Ruh Khus is to wear. Piercing green, grassy, mossy yet more voluptuous than Haitian vetiver with its sweet, round, slightly spicy character. This Khus from Annajwa is one of the best I’ve sampled.
 
Last edited:
Today scent is attar KHAN.

Its such a pleasure to see your blend of oil growing day be day change of colour ,playfullness of musk grains ,and assuming the aroma inside bottle with opening it.
I just started to learn and making my oils blend whatever the quality i want and desire for.
I have learnt more intact and simple the ingrident will be more divine aroma it will become and in any musk oud rose attar quality of sandalwood will always define final results.
Its 6gram bottle .
2.3 gram mysore antique 1989 aged creamy by craftoud
(Older mature sandal is great for carrier and base)
Mysore sinking by craft oud
1.5 gram roses
Taif rose craft oud
Nanghar rose tabeer oud
White rose otto
0.7 gram khasmiri musk fresh grains
Ouds
Hainan oud few drops
Hindi oud few drops
Borneo no 5 craft oud 0.3
Lankan haze ceylone craft oud 0.7
Sq purple malay will be addes later 0.3
Its been a month will open bottle after
3 months to see if more oud needs to be added.
Musk has started to change the character of rose tone down ceylone oud has changed the top notes to old temple scent old books vibe which is alluring.
Will be posting back if i sniffed in between again.
Special thanks to my Teacher #raimunir (musk men)
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20240202_120234-01.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 74
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20240202_120252-01.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 71
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20240202_120317.webp
    30 KB · Views: 67
After a period of mild summer weather, we’re finally receiving some decently hot days this weekend in Melbourne. 31 degrees celsius today & 35 tomorrow.
It’s a glorious morning; warm sunshine, a blue sky without a cloud, birds singing, the scent of eucalyptus & gardenia in the air.

Today I’m wearing Ruh Khus 2020 from Annajwa, a sample I received in my last order. As we all know, Ruh Khus blooms wonderfully in the heat, this batch from Annajwa is one of the best I’ve smelt. A clean, refined, pristine profile. Piercing emerald green, grassy, earthy, mossy, coumarin sweet, slightly spicy - every nuance is well balanced with none of that overly dank muddy leathery note that plagues some Ruh Khus.
As a lover of vintage fougeres, Khus gives me the same masculine, mossy, herbal, clean-soapy feeling but in a natural form. Later on today I’ll probably layer some Taif Rose on top, as this combination is something I enjoy throughly also.
 
I once had a small vetiver rug - that was a treat. I know that wetted vetiver mats were/ are used as improvised air coolers.
 
Back
Top