From my perspective, it looks like a huge amount of energy was sucked out of public forums across-the-board with the rise of Facebook and Instagram. I don’t actually have any evidence to support this - it just seems likely to me given the changes i see online.Explain this thought further, if you want? I am interested in what you mean?
amazing brother you picked up the muskSalsabeel - ASO.
The fountain in paradise, what a beautiful name & inspiration for an attar.
Yet another masterful attar by Al Shareef, every release feels considered & inspired. Salsabeel is a heavenly Oud-Vanilla with nuances of coffee, spice, labdanum. The Vanilla is high grade & the star of the show imo. It’s aged, ambery, balsamic & very delicious. The interplay of the Vanilla with the dark incensey Indonesian Ouds is a heavenly accord. At times, the accord recalled the dark coumarin-vanillic note of wood slowly bubbling on a sub or coal.
The green-earthy Ruh Khus cleverly cuts through the rich chocolatey gourmand facets, stopping the composition from becoming too fattty or unctuous. A presence of smoke is apparent, like fumigating clothing with Bakhoor, never bitter, overpowering or out of place, it’s just another facet adding to the complexity. I’ve never smelt Ambrette in isolation, but I detect a touch of Musk from the top note until the rounded dense Vanilla dry down.
Although Salsabeel is marketed as a ‘gourmand’, it’s much more grand & refined than what you’re expecting.
Until you mentioned it, that's what I thought was in the picture as well! Not to mention I have a very similar set of prayer beads on my desk and that wasn't even a contender for what I thought I was seeing 😆Sounds very nice. Took me a minute to realize that the object in the picture wasn’t one of those coiled telephone handset cords from the 80s
I’m sitting here thinking “that’s an unusual styling choice” ha ha
Interesting blend! I have all those materials, I may join you with it 😉Today I'm wearing my second custom blend. Here I was inspired by the blue spikenard I got from @RisingPhoenix and wanted to try creating a blend that showcased this special woodsy note (which reads to my nose as "smoky, woodsy" but "woodsy" in a very, very different way from oud).
I blended deer musk grains, macerated in sandalwood, with a good amount of Oud Said from @mesOUD (a particularly fascinating oud oil, it has a smoothness I haven't experienced in other ouds), then added spikenard, a good amount of Taif rose oil from @wardlab, and at this point, I noticed the spikenard was very powerful and overwhelming the blend. Then I got into "OK, I guess I'll experiment and trust my intuition" mode and added blue lotus, cinnamon oil, tuberose, bergamot, and finally some pure sandalwood.
Overnight, the blend started to come together, and I'm very pleased with it. It smells of winter spices, fresh and peppery, green and forested. It's very much unlike any other scent I have, and actually how it turned out wasn't what I had in mind at first, but that's OK 🙂
Very satisfying to experiment and I feel like I'm learning a lot.
Love that idea will have to give a go, sounds like a good way to train sense of smell!excuse the double post. I've just spent a 5-10 mins or so trying to blindly smell various essential oils that I have, mainly from mesoud. It's tricky to blindly smell them myself - I'm reaching into my collection of oils (in a makeup holder) with my eyes closed, taking the applicator out and smelling it and trying to mentally identify what it is. Bit tricky to not smear my nose with oil or hold the applicator out too far from my nose, but then opening my eyes is cheating a bit because some oils are much more viscous than others, as well as differing in colours so that can give me a visual hint as to what it could be
I managed to identify cinnamon, wohoo 😂
I had a friend over on Sunday (which I thought was a date but she thought we were just hanging out as friends. whoops) and we spent some time smelling through these oils. It was interesting to see her take on things - she really enjoyed an ambergris/sandalwood blend but then was a bit grossed out when I explained its origins! Took a big dislike to opponax and said that cistus made her feel really weird.
I'm gonna set aside to just smell these oils more frequently and familiarise myself with the smells until I can identify them easily. It'll take a while but I think it will be a good experience.
I must say I really LOVE mesoud's castoreum. There's just ...something to it, it's incredible. So dark, velvety, leathered, smooth and polished - doesn't come over as animalic really. I'm pretty sure it's the castoreum absolute - @mesOUD is this castoreum & alcohol evaporated down? I have some castoreum alcohol from him which smells waaay more animalic, the absolute by comparison is much tamer and less pungent....in a 'dirty' sense
Yes it is an end result of castoreum&alcohol tincture after alcohol evaporated.excuse the double post. I've just spent a 5-10 mins or so trying to blindly smell various essential oils that I have, mainly from mesoud. It's tricky to blindly smell them myself - I'm reaching into my collection of oils (in a makeup holder) with my eyes closed, taking the applicator out and smelling it and trying to mentally identify what it is. Bit tricky to not smear my nose with oil or hold the applicator out too far from my nose, but then opening my eyes is cheating a bit because some oils are much more viscous than others, as well as differing in colours so that can give me a visual hint as to what it could be
I managed to identify cinnamon, wohoo 😂
I had a friend over on Sunday (which I thought was a date but she thought we were just hanging out as friends. whoops) and we spent some time smelling through these oils. It was interesting to see her take on things - she really enjoyed an ambergris/sandalwood blend but then was a bit grossed out when I explained its origins! Took a big dislike to opponax and said that cistus made her feel really weird.
I'm gonna set aside to just smell these oils more frequently and familiarise myself with the smells until I can identify them easily. It'll take a while but I think it will be a good experience.
I must say I really LOVE mesoud's castoreum. There's just ...something to it, it's incredible. So dark, velvety, leathered, smooth and polished - doesn't come over as animalic really. I'm pretty sure it's the castoreum absolute - @mesOUD is this castoreum & alcohol evaporated down? I have some castoreum alcohol from him which smells waaay more animalic, the absolute by comparison is much tamer and less pungent....in a 'dirty' sense
A pretty fun thing to do is to get a bunch of strips of blotter paper and put a drop of everything on those, write the name on one side of the paper and find a table or somewhere you can leave them out. you can grab the strips for blind sniffs and then flip them over to see the identity. Like olfactory index cards for studying.Love that idea will have to give a go, sounds like a good way to train sense of smell!
This is one of my daily rutine,i am carrying them with me and in day time several times sniffing,except identifying,just carving every details in memoryA pretty fun thing to do is to get a bunch of strips of blotter paper and put a drop of everything on those, write the name on one side of the paper and find a table or somewhere you can leave them out. you can grab the strips for blind sniffs and then flip them over to see the identity. Like olfactory index cards for studying.
hahah now i noticed after your comment and i imagined it coiled telephone handset great imagination . actually its my daily use rosary, chaplet of beads, and wooden box behind it contains my ouds 😍😍Sounds very nice. Took me a minute to realize that the object in the picture wasn’t one of those coiled telephone handset cords from the 80s
I’m sitting here thinking “that’s an unusual styling choice” ha ha
spikenard oil i love alot and when blended with some other ingrident specially oud and musk it works like magic i love that cooling camphor mantholic effect in the background so alluring.I am wearing the green spikenard from Mesoud, which I was trying out in the blend. I love the smell of this oil - it has some animalic complexity along with some really beautiful deep earthy notes, a little bit of that classic valerian notes in good balance.