Haha yeah I think I wanted to figure out the profiles and nuances with heating wood first. Then I was introduced to some lovely Chinese oils. My journey is still very early but I enjoy the Kalimantan (Malinau/Tarakan) wood/oil profile and the Hainan wood/oil profile. Some of the Chinese oils I've had the privilege of sampling are quite extraordinary, but that's just my cup of tea. Perhaps I will get more acquired tastes and a better palate by heating and experimenting with different woods and oils. ❤️🌸🌹
 
Haha yeah I think I wanted to figure out the profiles and nuances with heating wood first. Then I was introduced to some lovely Chinese oils. My journey is still very early but I enjoy the Kalimantan (Malinau/Tarakan) wood/oil profile and the Hainan wood/oil profile. Some of the Chinese oils I've had the privilege of sampling are quite extraordinary, but that's just my cup of tea. Perhaps I will get more acquired tastes and a better palate by heating and experimenting with different woods and oils. ❤️🌸🌹
Very good choices, I love both those profiles but your beautiful Rose ottos are begging to be swiped alongside a good traditional Hindi!!! They are a match made in heaven.
 
Haha yeah I think I wanted to figure out the profiles and nuances with heating wood first. Then I was introduced to some lovely Chinese oils. My journey is still very early but I enjoy the Kalimantan (Malinau/Tarakan) wood/oil profile and the Hainan wood/oil profile. Some of the Chinese oils I've had the privilege of sampling are quite extraordinary, but that's just my cup of tea. Perhaps I will get more acquired tastes and a better palate by heating and experimenting with different woods and oils. ❤️🌸🌹
Haha I thought you are kidding, never trying oud and being a vendor/member in ouddict is almost impossible😉😆
It will be a fun and long journey for sure.
Let us know what profiles you prefer till now? Why chinese/malinau for example
 
Still waiting for my sense of smell to completely return.

It has returned just enough for it to be worth taking a sniff of a couple of things. One I have been really eager to examine closely is a sample of Ruh al Ward (Hasayan) from An Najwa. This one is punching through the head cold and I sniffed it once before. Frustrating to not be able to smell the finer details of the moment, but one thing that has been obvious both times is the fact this has a very nice balance in its top notes. Both times I’ve smelled it, it has presented notes that I have only smelled in ruh gulab and Taif rose ottos.

It has some of the clean dryness(?) that I smelled in a sample of wardlab taif. It’s not exactly petrichor but in some sense it almost feels like the lightest dusting of mitti/ earth/ petrichor / hot sand. It is very lovely and is not some kind of distracting note or anything like that - it is there a delicate balance with other pleasing notes. There’s also some kind of unique note that I smell in all of my ruh gulab samples - I don’t know how to describe it, but it also reminds me just in the slightest sense of mitti, and in my brain, I have come to think of it (correctly or incorrectly) as a “field still“ / copper hydrodistillation note
 
Haha yeah I think I wanted to figure out the profiles and nuances with heating wood first. Then I was introduced to some lovely Chinese oils. My journey is still very early but I enjoy the Kalimantan (Malinau/Tarakan) wood/oil profile and the Hainan wood/oil profile. Some of the Chinese oils I've had the privilege of sampling are quite extraordinary, but that's just my cup of tea. Perhaps I will get more acquired tastes and a better palate by heating and experimenting with different woods and oils. ❤️🌸🌹
I think we share similar tastes as far as oud goes. I have a couple of things I need to send you…
 
Haha I thought you are kidding, never trying oud and being a vendor/member in ouddict is almost impossible😉😆
It will be a fun and long journey for sure.
Let us know what profiles you prefer till now? Why chinese/malinau for example
I think maybe since I wear florals all the time, the Chinese and Malinau had that sort of minty flowery note to it? But also had a nice oudy quality?
 
Very good choices, I love both those profiles but your beautiful Rose ottos are begging to be swiped alongside a good traditional Hindi!!! They are a match made in heaven.
I need to force myself to accept the barn! 😆 The Hindi may grow on me, I'm sure there's beautiful creations out there. And then of course there's the Pinoy oils and Sri Lankan varieties, it's so vast!
 
Last edited:
I’m also struggling with the Hindi profile. What I am able to appreciate is the wonderful dry down on the skin some hindis have. It can be just the most delightful bubbly resinous woody scent.
 
I’ve learnt to love the top notes of Hindi Oud, it’s an acquired taste for a western nose. Theres different types of barn, the overly fermented-rotting note isn’t very appealing, luckily I don’t experience that note too often especially from the vendors on this platform.

In the aged high grades of traditionally distilled Hindi’s from ASO & The Oud Lab for example - I’ve discovered there’s such a thing as ‘clean barn’ note. It’s one of the most difficult nuances to describe, almost chalky or powdery sharing the sheer vaporous tonality of Kyara. Al Malek Al Kalakassi - ASO & Hindi Z - TOL are both perfect examples of this.

All that being said, the true beauty of Hindi Oud is in the dry down. To my nose, it’s one of the most beautiful aromas in the world & is definitely my favourite profile within all Oud oils. Worn leather, coumarin-rich sun baked hay, boozy dark chocolate, caramelised bubbling Oud resin, Labdanum, incense, a deep aged woodiness that recalls Mahogany. It stirs my senses like nothing else.
 
I’ve learnt to love the top notes of Hindi Oud, it’s an acquired taste for a western nose. Theres different types of barn, the overly fermented-rotting note isn’t very appealing, luckily I don’t experience that note too often especially from the vendors on this platform.

In the aged high grades of traditionally distilled Hindi’s from ASO & The Oud Lab for example - I’ve discovered there’s such a thing as ‘clean barn’ note. It’s one of the most difficult nuances to describe, almost chalky or powdery sharing the sheer vaporous tonality of Kyara. Al Malek Al Kalakassi - ASO & Hindi Z - TOL are both perfect examples of this.

All that being said, the true beauty of Hindi Oud is in the dry down. To my nose, it’s one of the most beautiful aromas in the world & is definitely my favourite profile within all Oud oils. Worn leather, coumarin-rich sun baked hay, boozy dark chocolate, caramelised bubbling Oud resin, Labdanum, incense, a deep aged woodiness that recalls Mahogany. It stirs my senses like nothing else.
Hindi Oud is the Shahenshah / king of kings in the Oud world.
 
I applied a dab of An Najwa Mogra attar. Very nice interplay of Sandalwood and Jasmine… Truly, a classic scent associate with Indian fragrance more than just about anything.
 
I need to force myself to accept the barn! 😆 The Hindi may grow on me, I'm sure there's beautiful creations out there. And then of course there's the Pinoy oils and Sri Lankan varieties, it's so vast!
It is a journey my brother, do not force anything.

It is a bit like walking into the boxing gym the first time. Your muscles are hurting after. Then after a few months those introductory work outs become your warm up and you need real grinding. When you pass that stage and get to spar in the ring, then all what is before it is just preparing for the ring.

all your current and past experiences in smell, will eventually lead you to Hindi Oudh. Hindi Oudh is the destination, the rest is the journey.

When I say Hindi Oudh, I don't mean the rubbish stuff out there, I mean a proper Hindi done by a master.
 
It is a journey my brother, do not force anything.

It is a bit like walking into the boxing gym the first time. Your muscles are hurting after. Then after a few months those introductory work outs become your warm up and you need real grinding. When you pass that stage and get to spar in the ring, then all what is before it is just preparing for the ring.

all your current and past experiences in smell, will eventually lead you to Hindi Oudh. Hindi Oudh is the destination, the rest is the journey.

When I say Hindi Oudh, I don't mean the rubbish stuff out there, I mean a proper Hindi done by a master.
A brilliant explanation brother
 
A dab of that ruh Al Ward Hasayan from An Najwa again… sense of smell is back to normal today, maybe even a bit heightened from not smelling much of anything for 2 days. This rose is really just delightful. it smells appealing at all stages and an appealing tantalizing balance in scent, even when you take a deep whiff of it.

This rose is just delightful.
 
Wardlab ruh motia 2021 batch. This is bad ass jasmine. In my opinion it’s look-back-and-ask-yourself-why-didn’t-I-get-more-of-that-when-I-had-a-chance-to-?-type jasmine.

The 2023 batch is also bad ass - i’m still trying to understand that one but it is INTERESTING and intense and no soapy/musky dry down (which I think is a red flag). The smell is very unique, but it’s completely composed of elements I have smelled in the flowers, absolute, concrete, and my own distillates.

The 2023 bright and brash - almost a shock to the senses at full strength. Based on the smell of the 2021 oil and assuming this is basically from the same source, this will continue to smell good and become a bit smoother and some of the almost chemical like intensity will become softened and blended in a bit.

I don’t think I say this particularly often, but this is one worth having at least a sample of as a reference.

I love ruh bela, and I am wondering if ruh chameli is still made any anywhere? I have smelled several soapy ones that I do not trust but that’s it.
 
Last edited:
Royal Garliya from Sultania Aromas, picking up on oud, musk, rose and floral sparkle. Really nice attar.

Hindi, Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai oud, Saffron, sambac, grandiflorum, taif, Ruh Gulab, civet Musk , Nepali musk, Himalayan musk, camphor, frankincense
Many thanks 😊
 
Back
Top