Please add words after a few wears.
Decided to add my own impression.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day


One dab of Sulaym's Royal Taifi. It is a citrusy rose with green and tangerine notes which surprised me. An interesting scent and happy to learn what taifi smells like.
 
Today a wore Ghaliya Banu Hashim by @An Najwa. I received it a while back as a sample, but never actually wore it on my skin. Man, I cant even describe how well the ingredients are finely synchronized. Never smelt anything like this before. Can’t wait until he releases the second batch. Truly amazing

Agreed!
 
@mesOUD qirose (rosewater distilled over CK) on the arm that doesn't have the Hiramau (yusa) on it. Once again experiencing this phenomenon of coming back to something and finding it changed, and wondering if the change is in me or in it. Of course it is both.

In this case I'm picking up on more fruity and juicy rose aspects - probably in part because I applied slightly larger dab. I'm just finding myself surprised at the depth of it this time - something almost edible about the fruit aspect. The ck scent is a great counterpoint - nice harmonious interplay of the resin and the tart rose flower. I know this was an experiment and a bit of a risk but it seems to have really worked out beautifully.
 
And while I was going through things I swiped a little bit of @Al Shareef Oudh Royal Luban. Beautiful thick frankincense oil with resinous, minty, and bright sparkling notes. I don't recall if this is distilled or extracted... it is slow to pour which makes me think it might be an extract (since I've seen distilled hojari oil that was very fluid and pourable almost like water) but it has the presence of a distilled oil. Whatever the origin, it is beautiful frankincense for sure!
 
Diffusive white flowers with the gentlest hint of green surrounded by an embrace of powerful musk! The airiness of the florals reminds me of linens, hanging out to dry on a warm summer afternoon. The scent travels straight to the sinuses by simply screwing the cap, applicator intact! Not the sort of annoying, in your face sort of scent either, but picture someone in flowing robes as they pass your by, their elegant sillage captivating you, and urging you to look in their direction. It smells clean and well put together, not at all like something out there, but with a regality which isn't easily captured. The use of vintage Gardenia, and Ta'ifi rose has been carried out with an experienced hand, the Ta'ifi is not overpowering the gardenia, yet upon initial sniffs you experience the Gardenia first and then at the tale end you experience the fizzy lift of the Ta'ifi. This way both vintage florals can be appreciated but more importantly it takes a very feminine floral and pushes it squarely into unisex territory! I imagine both a tropical scene but also, an early morning, there's a refreshing almost dawn like feeling to the scent, and it's just the airy-ness that's leaving me speechless on every sniff so far! Like a cool, floral breeze, as if the bottle has fans blowing this scent towards you, and fills your nostrils completely! Yet there's always an unmistakable base of musk, either following the florals or hitting your nose quickly and taking a step back!

Some first impressions on @SULAYM 's Dusk Musk, from just unscrewing the cap several times and opening the applicator once! The scent sticks to my fingers and oh I forgot, there's a distinct peach note, which is so elegant, yet hidden in the background. Hoping to try out on skin soon, and then I'll probably be able to get the oud used a bit more clearly. You guys have really outdone yourself at Sulaym, I like this way more than even the Ghalia. It's one of those head filling sort of scents, which make time stand still, it's an experience to smell it once, and a treasure in one's possessions!
 
I was thinking of writing my first impressions, but I don't think I need to after that masterpiece of a description
One person's impressions are never the full story Zubayr, and your impressions are just as valid and appreciated! Living in a different climate, with a different background and memories, you'll pick up on notes and facets which I perhaps never could, and only through reading your thoughts will I be able to experience them 🙂
 
Today a wore Ghaliya Banu Hashim by @An Najwa. I received it a while back as a sample, but never actually wore it on my skin. Man, I cant even describe how well the ingredients are finely synchronized. Never smelt anything like this before. Can’t wait until he releases the second batch. Truly amazing
I agree, top 5 best attars I’ve ever put my nose on!

Since purchasing a qrt tola at the start of the year, it’s been wonderful to see how the Musk & Ambergris continue to macerate, transforming the composition. There’s a particularly stunning interaction with the Rose in the mid notes. Love it.
 
Currently, I am pulling a shot of Tim Wendelboe’s Los Pireneos espresso roast, while applying @An Najwa Khaltat Baghdad on the collar, and his Ruh Khus on my wrists. What a gorgeous combination! I am always ecstatic with An Najwa’s creations, he is a superb aromatic artist. I am looking forward to wrapping myself in Khaltat Baghdad during the first snowfall this winter. In a field of shimmering roses, I catch an orange colored note, vivacious and dynamically textured. It is extraordinary.
 
I have tried many Jasmine scents/ attars but most of them didn't simply catch the flower as it is. Mostly it felt wilted. I tried yesterday All Shareef Oudh's Jumaana and Jasmine is a delight to smell in Jumaana. The surreal musk makes the Jasmine very sensual. The oud from Malaysia joins almost immediately and the trio of Jasmine, musk & velvety Malaysian oud shine together. Blending is so good that it seems like everything was distilled together. In the fag end, basenotes I got an oud with lemony, spicy notes similar to what you find in high grade Kalakassi oud. The website doesn't mention al malek Kalakassi oud so it could be an olfactory mirage. This turned out to be a very poignant experience for me as it took me straight to a garden restaurant (with lots of Jasmine and night blooming jasmine) where my parents took me very often. My dear parents as well as that restaurant are all long gone but memories became alive suddenly. And Jumaana was a trip down the memory lane.
 
IMG_6800.jpeg

Sandal Rose Imperial II - Mellifluence. Forgive me for the poor state of this bottle, I’ve absolutely thrashed it haha.

A seriously beautiful Rose / Ambergris / Sandalwood attar. When I purchased this from Abdullah back in 2021, he mentioned this was a very different style than his signature resinous base note aesthetic. Sandal Rose Imperial II is top note heavy, focusing on a blend of Persian, Turkish & Taif EO’s. He wanted to showcase his best Rose oils & the idea was to decorate & fixate them in a beautiful way.

The blend of these Roses in the top is pure beauty, luminous, sparkling like diamonds, minty, citrusy, a crystalline pink rosiness. In the heart notes, one can detect an indolic tropical floral humidity, it smells like Frangapani, also perhaps some creamy-fruity Ylang. The florals are blended in a subtle way, just there to augment the Rose accord, giving it a touch more body, a slightly rounded fruitiness.

The base notes have been composed with a wonderful precision, perfectly placed in the composition. Not only do they beautify & support the Roses, the base has been designed to operate independently as the dry down takes full effect.
As the name of the attar suggests, a buttery, slightly spicy, lactonic Sandalwood note emerges, it carries the florals while also giving the attar a creamy white powdery aura….
Then there’s the white Ambergris, it’s very special. A huge dose of clean, salty, oceanic, muskiness. A touch of Civet to give a hint of leathery darkness. Chinese Oud, honeyed, delicately floral & slightly incensey.
Although these base note materials have big personalities, here they have been semi-tamed to allow the Roses to breath & remain the star of the show.

Although, I have limited experience blending natural materials, I can see the masterful technique Abdullah has executed here. It requires many years of experience to create such a delicate, yet highly complex blend. All of these materials have the ability to veer off & take over if not judged correctly.

Sandal Rose Imperial II has been aging for 3 years, not only has it remained stable it’s improving year after year! It’s no easy task especially when working with a large dose of Rose EO. Amazing stuff!

PS - Yesterday, Ahmaoud told me that Abdullah had shut down Mellifluence on Etsy. I was concerned, so I contacted Abdullah via email last night just to check in.
He informed me that everything was good but he isn’t seeing eye to eye with Etsy, hence the store closure. He’s advertising on Instagram, WhatsApp & selling via PayPal, Cash App, Bank transfer. He said he might even create a newsletter again.

I hope everyone has a nice day or evening!
 
Last edited:
A swipe of Begum this morning. My sense of smell went off-line for about two hours yesterday - I must've gotten like a quarter dose of a cold if such a thing as possible because I could swear it was getting sick but kicked it. Yesterday morning I could smell, yesterday evening I couldn't, all is returning to normal again this morning thank goodness.

Anyway, I'm really very excited to be smelling agallocha that is from @mesOUD's still!

First thing i notice is that classic manuka oil type top note that seems to only show up in agallocha oil. The agarwood note is rich, woody, and robust; there is a beautiful smooth creaminess and "precious woods" vibe; the rose adds its sweetness but the effect is quite different in the Begum than in the Qirose.

My nose is not 100% back to normal but what I smell seems very balanced - an interplay of various notes in harmony. I smell some delicious rich semi-phenolic oud notes that in the past I assumed reflected a different regional profile, but in light of this and another of mesoud's personal distillations, i now think reflects skillful distillation technique.

Very nice and interesting oil I am eager to get to know a little better.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
And now @Al-Hind Oud Bilqus - codistillation number two of the day! It will be a couple of days before the picture is totally clear due to my nose having a little bit of congestion but first impression is how distinct the sandalwood aroma is in this particular run. This has quite a different profile than the mysuru 3 and other mysuru oils from al Hind, I need to go check on what kind of Sandalwood was used. There is a certain punchiness to the top notes that sets this apart a bit... these facets to the top notes remind me both of some Indonesian oils and some Karnataka oils I have sampled over the years. I think these notes are what people refer to when they say an oil is actively buttery or milky. The kinam adds a pervasive sweetness that is quite pleasant and seems to fit in / follow along with the sandalwood as opposed to pushing it in some direction - sandalwood seems to be the lead dancer here. I think there's a pleasant cedar-like accord from their interaction as well, but my nose is a little too dulled by the cold at the moment to be certain of that.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
And now @Al-Hind Oud Bilqus - codistillation number two of the day! It will be a couple of days before the picture is totally clear due to my nose having a little bit of congestion but first impression is how distinct the sandalwood aroma is in this particular run. This has quite a different profile than the mysuru 3 and other mysuru oils from al Hind, I need to go check on what kind of Sandalwood was used. There is a certain punchiness to the top notes that sets this apart a bit... these facets to the top notes remind me both of some Indonesian oils and some Karnataka oils I have sampled over the years. I think these notes are what people refer to when they say an oil is actively buttery or milky. The kinam adds a pervasive sweetness that is quite pleasant and seems to fit in / follow along with the sandalwood as opposed to pushing it in some direction - sandalwood seems to be the lead dancer here. I think there's a pleasant cedar-like accord from their interaction as well, but my nose is a little too dulled by the cold at the moment to be certain of that.
View attachment 42293
the sandalwood material is same as Mysuru 1
 
the sandalwood material is same as Mysuru 1
Was that the one where you distilled separate top and bottom fractions?

Do you perceive Bilqus as more milky than mysuru 2 and 3?
 
that’s the one.
I can definitely see the connection to that one. I enjoyed being able to experience those fractions separately that was informative. Graduate level mini course in sandalwood oil thanks to you
 
Back
Top