It rained heavily today afternoon; and now it is drizzling. It is night here. What else could be to be lost but Musk. So, Siberian Mysuru Santal Maceration. Musky flames in the rain. And what else could be to juxtapose with Musk Mysore, but classical raga Yaman (Aimon) played on the Shehnai and the Violin. Both the Maestros have complemented Musk. Fragrant melody, and melodious fragrance. The sacred ache present in Musk and Yaman is nowhere.
 
Last edited:
It rained heavily today afternoon; and now it is drizzling. It is night here. What else could be to be lost but Musk. So, Siberian Mysuru Santal Maceration. Musky flames in the rain. And what else could be to juxtapose with Musk Mysore, but classical raga Yaman (Aimon) on the Shehnai and the Violin. Both the Maestros have complemented Musk. Fragrant melody, and melodious fragrance. The sacred ache present in Musk and Yaman is nowhere.
Hard to think of a nicer way to spend a rainy evening. Perhaps with a good book next to a cozy fireplace with the music and the blend. Will try the same when i am alone this evening. With your music.
 
Racine by Mellifluence
What a curious scent.
It is not the scent of musk nor of resins or labdanum but of something completely new, at least to me. I do not try to find all the different notes as I love it as a unified scent without the need to analyze/cut it apart. It is a bit dry, and sure enough vulcanic. Abdullah's description is very right. The musk makes the resin alive. It makes me think of igneous rock. But this is not a cold rock. It feels like the rocks are burning inside while also heating up some moss that covers them. I am not even trying to describe this with similes, it smells exactly how I would expect my description to smell. I was on Mount Etna one week before it blew and on top you could see and smell the fumes and the smoke coming out of the holes. Racine makes me feel that sense of expectation, energy waiting to express itself. Definitely not a bland scent, it is a most interesting and baffling experience. Baffling as it does not smell like a perfume. Strangely it is also a calming smell. I love it! This is much more to my liking than the last samples I received from Mellifluence.
 
Morning
Flowerbomb (my own blend)
1g Ocean of Flowers by Sultan Pasha
.5g Frangisandal by Tony Bolton
.5g Mysuru Ambre by Imperial Oud
.5g Manek II by Agarwood Assam
.5g 20% white ambergris (LMK) sandalwood (Ali Brothers) maceration

Afternoon
Royal Rose Oud (personal blend at 3/5/5 ratio)
Taif Rose
7 different ouds
5 different sandalwoods

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Respected Bryan, a marvellous job. I love such a wild imagination that you have shown, especially in the blend you wore this 'afternoon'.

You have mentioned an oil 'Frangisandal'; is it Frangipani and Sandal infusion?

I am extremely pleased to read that the ingredients are top class. Now I wish if you could resist temptation to wear it before pretty enough time. So far as itr goes, not letting out the applicator is that much important as are the quality ingredients. I always found that itr of top most quality in which all ingredients turn to be an 'organic whole'- a UNI-VERSE. If notes are recognizable, either the oils are of low quality or it is tried just after blending different oils.

All the best.
 
Last edited:
Respected Bryan, a marvellous job. I love such a wild imagination that you have shown, especially in the blend you wore this 'afternoon'.

You have mentioned an oil 'Frangisandal'; is it Frangipani and Sandal infusion?

I am extremely pleased to read that the ingredients are top class. Now I wish if you could resist temptation to wear it before pretty enough time. So far as itr goes, not letting out the applicator is that much important as are the quality ingredients. I always found that itr of top most quality in which all ingredients turn to be an 'organic whole'- a UNI-VERSE. If notes are recognizable, either the oils are of low quality or it is tried just after blending different oils.

All the best.
Per Tony Bolton the Frangisandal is a co-distillation. Some nuances and notes are definitely lost in blends especially in ouds. I let them sit for at least one month before wearing but the more complex the longer it takes for the blend to come together. One very complex blend I made has taken almost ten months to fully settle. I have also noticed a difference in blending all at once and taking stages to let two to three ingredients come together before adding more. Experienced cooks know this well. Better to let few come together first instead of throwing everything in the pot all at once.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
 
Yesterday evening I mixed some Buddha Wood and Costus Root and now this is my scent of the day as the lingering scent is extremely lovely and quite strong. Like a calm earthy oud but with even more of a root sap scent.
 
Cuir Chypre (AA): A sample vial it is. When acquired, almost all notes were scattered. But now there is some orchestration. A remotest feel of Sultan Leather is there. Still, after three or four months, I sense Patchouli and faintest Rose dominant. It would take time to become Chypre.

One of the itrs that can lavishly be swiped.
 
My Elixir Attar samples arrived! So I'm testing one on each arm. Cohiban Coffee on the left, Spirit of Arabia on the right.

WOW!

These are some incredible fragrances. Cohiban Coffee is an ultra-rich sweet tobacco with lashings of coffee and noticeable but not intrusive floral notes. The sillage is magnificent. A tiny bit less sweet and more herbal/floral than Rising Phoenix's Sicilian Vanilla Attar but similar in spirit. Has the possibility to become a signature scent.
My first sniff of Spirit of Arabia is shockingly close to Al Shareef Oudh's Turath....rich, musky, smoky, tarry. I could breathe this in all day. Gentlemen, you'll be wanting some of this, trust me. I'll have to do a side-by side with Turath but the initial resemblance is startling.

We've got a player on our hands, Ouddicts. Can't wait to try out the rest of the pack.

EDITED TO ADD: I will apparently have to wait to try out the rest of the pack 🙂 because the lasting power on these is marvelous. Five hours later the drydown of Cohiban Coffee is a nutty Frangelico-esque sandalwood. Spirit of Arabia is gently smoldering incense ash with spent oud and frankincense on top.
 
Last edited:
Mellifluence

Tsuga Musc: On my skin a warm amber bomb with some spice...good longevity...unbeatable at this price.

I receive a sample of Imago (thanks AbdAllah :praying:) that is a nice myrhe/vetiver blend with some iris notes
 
Terre de Hermes, 3 sprays....yeah. I have loads of samples that I may as well just use up....

Rising Phoenix - City Oud
Mellifluence - Amber Imperial

ouds,
EO - Suriranka Naya and Zazen

I've also put many drops of Indian Patchouli by Agarwood Assam into my diffuser, let's see if it fills my room with heavenly patchouli 🙂
How is the city oud?
 
Back
Top