Malay Misk - @Al Hashimi

This was a nice little surprise when I got home from work tonight. I didn’t get a shipping notification, so I wasn't expecting it. My allergies have been acting up, so I didn't plan on wearing anything tonight. But when I opened the cap to get a little teaser I was punched in the nose with pure musk so I had to try a little.

When I pulled the dip stick out, the aroma turned to a piercing boozy green. Like a cocktail garnished with fresh mint.

My brain scrambled a bit after I put it on, not sure if just the allergies or I went nose blind, but I was only picking up a very faint cedar for like 5-10 minutes. After blowing my nose, snorting some saline, and sitting down the musk enveloped me out of nowhere. I'm picking up a touch of oud, but with my nose out of wack I can tell I'm missing a ton of nuance. But it doesn't even matter, because the musk has me in a state of pure bliss.
 
I have been enjoying these for a couple of weeks from Purehayat
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Got some great samples from @Loulikesoud - at the moment I'm geeking over the choyas - what wild materials these things are. I have been sniffing choya luban and choya raal - the former is frankincense and the latter is "shoreya", both destructively distilled meaning at high temperature in the absence of water which produces all of these toasted and roasted notes. Really unique suite of notes offered by these oils. Wild stuff, and I think some agarwood is distilled almost like a choya because it reminds me of some darker style ouds in some ways. Phenolic
 
I am smelling so freaking good right now… Two different grandiflorum extracts, one an aged carbon dioxide extract that went from smelling like bubblegum and balsam tolu to smelling a really delicious unique and complex grandiflorum oil. This one is a paste. Vastly improved with time and I never thought that would be the case for a grandiflorum oil! The other oil is fresh select Egyptian absolute and the two together are maddening.

can't believe what I am smelling - i had dismissed the CO2 as a novelty but in fact it is phenomenal.
 
Last edited:
Wearing my own blend of a cultivated cambodi crassna, sandalwood (Vanuatu) eo and absolute, agarwood absolute, civet absolute, tobacco absolute, a touch of red champa absolute, and karo karounde absolute (my fave floral). Absolute heaven; smells like leather in the rain forest. Red champaca is a miracle material as well.
 
I received a sample of an unnamed Ghaliya from @AlHind Oud - a real treat. I'm still getting to know the oil, but it is redolent with fine oud, musk, ambergris. What's interesting about this one is its seeming simplicity - this is something I love actually. Sometimes you get food where you can really experience the quality of each of the ingredients. Sometimes you get food where everything has been blended into an inscrutable melange. This one leans towards the former - like the attar equivalent of a really good homemade meal from fresh ingredients, minimally processed. I love the unique accord formed by these materials, this definitely hits as a Ghaliya but with a unique style I really enjoy.
 
I received a sample of an unnamed Ghaliya from @AlHind Oud - a real treat. I'm still getting to know the oil, but it is redolent with fine oud, musk, ambergris. What's interesting about this one is its seeming simplicity - this is something I love actually. Sometimes you get food where you can really experience the quality of each of the ingredients. Sometimes you get food where everything has been blended into an inscrutable melange. This one leans towards the former - like the attar equivalent of a really good homemade meal from fresh ingredients, minimally processed. I love the unique accord formed by these materials, this definitely hits as a Ghaliya but with a unique style I really enjoy.
This Ghaliyah is in making since 2023 starting with some in-house distilled oils (Hindi/sinking mysore/kinam), Bilquis and Oud oils.

Musk/Ambergris fusion worked really well.
 
Back
Top