sotd - Aya Sofya by @mesOUD

One of the most intoxicating Attars, very unique and probably the best price value attar I have. I like his other Attars like Old Bazaar, Jasmine Tobac and Fareed also very much. Consider yourself lucky if youve got these oils for such a good price 💎
I keep hearing great stuff about 2 AM!!
 
None of this soft musk nonsense diluted with sandalwood and florals.

Yaqoot and Zumurrud are musk bombs. Yet, so well blended and rounded with oud.

The leather from Yaqoot is unreal.
Yes. It’s absolutely well blended. There’s a method to it. It’s not just throwing in some grains in couple of oud o blended oud oils. So, grateful to have tried this and zumurrud.
The crown jewel of attars. The aura it projects around you is unreal.
I would agree.
 
Qandahar 2.1 from ASO with a twist. Added a pinch of semi dry mongolian musk to it and let it settle for about a month. Those opening intense leathery notes are softened and I get chocolate on the opening now. Nevertheless adding musk to oud is not a bad idea.
I did the same with papua 2003 from oudlab. To that I added dry siberian musk in a good ratio and now it became intense slightly leathery musky but also keeps its original papua oud profile.
 
Qandahar 2.1 from ASO with a twist. Added a pinch of semi dry mongolian musk to it and let it settle for about a month. Those opening intense leathery notes are softened and I get chocolate on the opening now. Nevertheless adding musk to oud is not a bad idea.
I did the same with papua 2003 from oudlab. To that I added dry siberian musk in a good ratio and now it became intense slightly leathery musky but also keeps its original papua oud profile.
What percent would you estimate? 10%?
 
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
@SULAYM - Rayhan - The Qaf Collection - This one really surprised, technically the entire collection surprised me, not that I didn't think it was going to be good, but the level at which the vision behind these fragrances was executed is something I did not expect, but I digress. I also have to write about the gorgeous combination of Firdaus (The Qaf Collection) lays with @An Najwa 's Hejaz, but that's for another day.

Rayhan opens up with basil galore, green, minty, tad bit anise-like honestly just traces. You'll be enveloped in this gorgeous cooling, sweet green scent, without the harshness that more camphorous aromatics such as cardamom or lavendin bring to a blend. You'll be thinking of basil during this first stage, and it lasts almost an hour. As the basil note leaves your skin, a floral sweetness will creep in taking its place. Now this mid part is where I stopped observing it. I thought the fragrance was done, I knew other components were part of it, but it wasn't until a night stroll and returning home that I was greeted with the dry down which compelled me to write this. Butter-y Mysore with an unmistakable musk note present. It was so different to the top that I thought I'd applied something over it, but no it was just Rayhan.

I can't quite summarize the emotion I felt upon applying this, sufficient to give you an idea, "SubanAllah" was audibly verbalized alongside a sincere prayer for the perfumer. It's refreshing and cooling, and if applied before say Asr salat you'll continue to enjoy this for quite some time even after you're done, but when it comes time for Maghreb, that's when the butter-y musky dry down will come in full force. It's this contrast which stunned me. The top wouldn't stay for as long if it was basil being used, and even 15 mins into the scent you'll start to pick up a sweet, milky floral which is steadily propping up the basil note. But then in the dry down you're left scratching your head, "wait, is this the same fragrance I applied earlier?" and there's this thread of sweetness, gentle and rich but not heavy, and cloying which recalls your mind to the beginning and you suddenly go "aaaaaahhhhhhh, now I see it". There's other elements here, such as Ta'ifi Rose and Viet Oud either of which could have been overwhelming, or even the sandalwood, which could have stomped all over the top notes, but none of them do that, which is the expertise at play in my eyes!

And the deeper you inhale this, layers unravel for you, even between sniffs! Hints of the verdant Jasmine, the slightest citrus hint of Ta'ifi Rose, sweet and uplifting. Contrasted with the skin like musk bathing in sandalwood, and the champaca, refraining from going all custardy in this blend. Absolutely nothing pops out after the basil, and it's this one, flowing scent morphing between observations and ... perhaps rewarding contemplation.
 
@SULAYM - Rayhan - The Qaf Collection - This one really surprised, technically the entire collection surprised me, not that I didn't think it was going to be good, but the level at which the vision behind these fragrances was executed is something I did not expect, but I digress. I also have to write about the gorgeous combination of Firdaus (The Qaf Collection) lays with @An Najwa 's Hejaz, but that's for another day.

Rayhan opens up with basil galore, green, minty, tad bit anise-like honestly just traces. You'll be enveloped in this gorgeous cooling, sweet green scent, without the harshness that more camphorous aromatics such as cardamom or lavendin bring to a blend. You'll be thinking of basil during this first stage, and it lasts almost an hour. As the basil note leaves your skin, a floral sweetness will creep in taking its place. Now this mid part is where I stopped observing it. I thought the fragrance was done, I knew other components were part of it, but it wasn't until a night stroll and returning home that I was greeted with the dry down which compelled me to write this. Butter-y Mysore with an unmistakable musk note present. It was so different to the top that I thought I'd applied something over it, but no it was just Rayhan.

I can't quite summarize the emotion I felt upon applying this, sufficient to give you an idea, "SubanAllah" was audibly verbalized alongside a sincere prayer for the perfumer. It's refreshing and cooling, and if applied before say Asr salat you'll continue to enjoy this for quite some time even after you're done, but when it comes time for Maghreb, that's when the butter-y musky dry down will come in full force. It's this contrast which stunned me. The top wouldn't stay for as long if it was basil being used, and even 15 mins into the scent you'll start to pick up a sweet, milky floral which is steadily propping up the basil note. But then in the dry down you're left scratching your head, "wait, is this the same fragrance I applied earlier?" and there's this thread of sweetness, gentle and rich but not heavy, and cloying which recalls your mind to the beginning and you suddenly go "aaaaaahhhhhhh, now I see it". There's other elements here, such as Ta'ifi Rose and Viet Oud either of which could have been overwhelming, or even the sandalwood, which could have stomped all over the top notes, but none of them do that, which is the expertise at play in my eyes!

And the deeper you inhale this, layers unravel for you, even between sniffs! Hints of the verdant Jasmine, the slightest citrus hint of Ta'ifi Rose, sweet and uplifting. Contrasted with the skin like musk bathing in sandalwood, and the champaca, refraining from going all custardy in this blend. Absolutely nothing pops out after the basil, and it's this one, flowing scent morphing between observations and ... perhaps rewarding contemplation.
I applied this for Dhuhr prayer today, dots on each wrist and a little on sides of the neck. Its been about 4 hours since. I can catch hints of basil this deep into the wearing, so I'm amending my earlier comment. It's on the way out, no doubt about that, however still bringing a level of coolness and lifting the blend. I'm getting hints to the wonderful dry down as well, but intermittently.

It can't be said enough, to make a note like this last for this long, takes foresight and methodically combing materials. Not just lasting but drawing out facets of the aromatic profile and merging them into these rather heavy florals but not letting the end result smell overly floral, or syrupy sweet, requires a lot of skill and iteration.
 
Sounds great. I’ve been putting a bunch of musk in Malaysian Ouds. Might add some to Qandahar or Arsalan from ASO.
On this topic , many of the older generation that is exactly what they used to do, sprinkle some musk in the Oudh.

Another gem from the older generation which makes a lot of sense, if they were going to get a particular Oudh, they would buy it in tola bottles. And not one bottle always minimum of two bottles. Then they would add musk in them, use one and let the other age.

I only started seeing the use of 1/4 tola bottles in the later years.

I thought this was the practice among our people only. Then in my travels when met some old school Chinese, Indians, Cambodians, Malaysians etc they all carried tolas.

I know the world has changed, but some of these techniques can also be implemented in 1/4 tola bottles. So add the musk and enjoy the scent.
 
On this topic , many of the older generation that is exactly what they used to do, sprinkle some musk in the Oudh.

Another gem from the older generation which makes a lot of sense, if they were going to get a particular Oudh, they would buy it in tola bottles. And not one bottle always minimum of two bottles. Then they would add musk in them, use one and let the other age.

I only started seeing the use of 1/4 tola bottles in the later years.

I thought this was the practice among our people only. Then in my travels when met some old school Chinese, Indians, Cambodians, Malaysians etc they all carried tolas.

I know the world has changed, but some of these techniques can also be implemented in 1/4 tola bottles. So add the musk and enjoy the scent.
Finance probably the main reasons to get the quarter tola
 
Back
Top