On this topic , many of the older generation that is exactly what they used to do, sprinkle some musk in the Oudh.

Another gem from the older generation which makes a lot of sense, if they were going to get a particular Oudh, they would buy it in tola bottles. And not one bottle always minimum of two bottles. Then they would add musk in them, use one and let the other age.

I only started seeing the use of 1/4 tola bottles in the later years.

I thought this was the practice among our people only. Then in my travels when met some old school Chinese, Indians, Cambodians, Malaysians etc they all carried tolas.

I know the world has changed, but some of these techniques can also be implemented in 1/4 tola bottles. So add the musk and enjoy the scent.
Brother please feel free to upgrade any of my quarter Tolas to full Tolas at your convenience. I won’t mind at all.
 
Are you at all worried about the bottle overflowing? In my mind (and what I understood from learned people) musk maceration need to be "started", that is, you heat up the oil in either a bain-marie or in the sun, or what I did, as it was winter time, left it near the heating vents for a couple of hours, and then add the musk grain in. I did it after and then you can start waiting for the scent to change.

I started mine in half tola bottles with musk and oil taking no more than about 60% of the volume and that helped because it did expand a little bit. And I'm not sure if this was something I actually noticed or imagined but I remember the bottles "burping" when I opened them, much like when you're making sauerkraut. You also mentioned they were semi-dry so I imagine they'll get larger, probably won't displace the oil but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Once the musk grains are started, and a good period of time has passed, that's when I fill the bottle with more oil, or empty the whole thing into an even larger bottle. I don't do the starter method this time around though, perhaps maybe I should. 🤔
 
Last edited:
Are you at all worried about the bottle overflowing? In my mind (and what I understood from learned people) musk maceration need to be "started", that is, you heat up the oil in either a bain-marie or in the sun, or what I did, as it was winter time, left it near the heating vents for a couple of hours, and then add the musk grain in. I did it after and then you can start waiting for the scent to change.

I started mine in half tola bottles with musk and oil taking no more than about 60% of the volume and that helped because it did expand a little bit. And I'm not sure if this was something I actually noticed or imagined but I remember the bottles "burping" when I opened them, much like when you're making sauerkraut. You also mentioned they were semi-dry so I imagine they'll get larger, probably won't displace the oil but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Once the musk grains are started, and a good period of time has passed, that's when I fill the bottle with more oil, or empty the whole thing into an even larger bottle. I don't do the starter method this time around though, perhaps maybe I should. 🤔
I used up some oil before I poured some musk grains into it. I just pour grains into the existing oil and nothing else. I didn’t want to warm the oil and risk altering the oil’s profile due to heat, especially Qandahaar. For me just adding grains worked.
 
The smells are so good!

My mukh of the day is the same as my usual mukh of the day - layers of things overlapping that I have been dabbing on different areas.

For me this is a critical part of exploring the landscape of aroma - basically the ongoing observations that lead to the experiments that lead to formulas. Observing the intersections of different materials as they come and go on air currents, taking notes on interesting accords that I can resolve, making mental notes to follow up on particular pairings.

At the moment, I am catching kaleidoscopic rearrangements of the aroma of indica rose, fermented sinensis, tonka, grandiflorum, balsam Peru, patchouli, costus and frankincense. Olfactory paradise.
 
Ghallia Abbasi @Al Hashimi.
When it comes to musk heavy blends or extraits I have no self control to be honest and the big discount running on Al Hashimi did not help either. Ghallia Abbasi is a nuclear musk. Longevity is through the roof. From the opening to the dry down you get many different facets of musk. The musk is not at all animalic or ammoniacal or urinous or whatsoever, it is extremely beautiful musk. Soft floral heavenly intense musk. There are some similarities to ASO’s Al Bayt Al Ateeq 2. Ghallia Abbasi is not aged yet. But with age it will definitely get even better. I am going to add some aged tibetan musk to it and leave it for aging for atleast a year.
ABAA2 smells more balanced as it has the age factor to it. I am sure this Ghallia will develop much more better with age as without the age factor it is already too good.
 
I applied another swipe of this light patchouly oil that I bought from @Loulikesoud (thanks, Lou!). This was grown and distilled in Aceh by @Margon

I enjoy this oil at all stages of its development, there's something charming about the top notes… But after a short time this really rich full smooth patchoulol fuzz comes to the front and it is soooo goood! i have read in a couple of places that Sumatra patchouli is the one folks in the industry scramble for, and I can see why. This is young and a bit woody and edgy but 100% noble oil as far as I am concerned. I have decent sized bottle (100mL) for now, plan to get more down the road a bit.
 
Ghaliya Banu Hashim 2025 @An Najwa .. The heart and the base is where this shines most. At such a price, brother Jaabir has achieved something really awesome! Even with a thin swipe the dry down is very voluminous. so much of density in this ghallia. Like when you smell a high end oud you get that nostril full dense fullness feeling. That is what I am talking about here.
 
Last edited:
I wore Ward al Bahr by @YusaAromatics for Jummah prayer today, and it felt as though the masjid itself carried a soft coastal breeze. The opening unfurls Kashan rose in full bloom, lush, dew-kissed, almost crimson in its radiance, yet a perfect dose of rose. Within minutes, the rare Fijian ambergris rises beneath the petals like sunlit waves, lending a velvety, slightly saline warmth that grounds the sweetness and adds depth. The attar stays intimate, projecting a gentle aura rather than announcing itself, perfect for notes just coming through in their own time like a perfect symbiotic relationship between the ingredients. Even after washing your hands, the scent lingers in quiet resonance, the rose just stills shines through with a softened oceanic amber, which is remarkable, as from my own blending experiments, too much rose and it dominates but this is a seamless dialogue of bloom and sea.
 
I'm just enjoying the heck out of patchouli in general. In particular I am just super super happy to have some good quality contemporary oils to back up the vintage ones in my collection. Was wearing some more of this particular Sumatra patch I have been testing out and it is so freaking good. Just beautiful rich suave smooth woody/musky/earthy dry down. Paradise.
 
I applied another swipe of this light patchouly oil that I bought from @Loulikesoud (thanks, Lou!). This was grown and distilled in Aceh by @Margon

I enjoy this oil at all stages of its development, there's something charming about the top notes… But after a short time this really rich full smooth patchoulol fuzz comes to the front and it is soooo goood! i have read in a couple of places that Sumatra patchouli is the one folks in the industry scramble for, and I can see why. This is young and a bit woody and edgy but 100% noble oil as far as I am concerned. I have decent sized bottle (100mL) for now, plan to get more down the road a bit.
That's a huge amount! 😁
 
That's a huge amount! 😁
It's a good start. Some of that has to age for 5 or 10 years so I need more he he
 
The smells are so good!

My mukh of the day is the same as my usual mukh of the day - layers of things overlapping that I have been dabbing on different areas.

For me this is a critical part of exploring the landscape of aroma - basically the ongoing observations that lead to the experiments that lead to formulas. Observing the intersections of different materials as they come and go on air currents, taking notes on interesting accords that I can resolve, making mental notes to follow up on particular pairings.

At the moment, I am catching kaleidoscopic rearrangements of the aroma of indica rose, fermented sinensis, tonka, grandiflorum, balsam Peru, patchouli, costus and frankincense. Olfactory paradise.
OOOh! I just love the smell of Costus and Balsam Peru, I add Hungarian Oakmoss to this combo sometimes. I can barely get any work done when I use the above together, just walk around sniffing myself. Lol - Like I might find something if I keep sniffing..........Good thing I am my own boss!
 
AlMokhlif Oud - Inherited Cambodi (mixed with two drops of ASO's Zummrud and two drops of MaysamCo's Luxurious Winter Blend)

Sokkat AlTeeb - Tarkeeb Sduw - Trat Hattab (Firewood Distillation) blended with Lavender and Cardamom co-distillated essential oil

Maysam Co's Luxurious Winter Blend - way too many things in this one to describe

Sokkat AlTeeb - Oud Bronze - An aged blend of Nagaland, Cambodi and Indonesian (I think Maroke specifically) oils

So I started off with trying to give some top notes to #1, it's an aged oil with a wonderful mid and base, but lacking a top, hence the other things I mixed into it, but today I wanted more. So I went for the overly spice-y and cool, yet hot Tarkeeb Sduw, and immediately it was a perfect match. Three fat dots of #1 with some delicate dots of #2.

But then I wanted something more, so I added a couple of dots of #3 to the mix and suddenly floral notes from #1 were suddenly brought into the spotlight, or the floral lavender from #2.

Then I sought for some bitterness, something official smelling, I had something sweet, resinous, floral and complex but I wanted something smoke-y, so I turned to touching the neck of #4 and added that to the mix, and finally I was satisfied. It's never an exact science and mostly a headache, between observations and mental comparison. I have a lot of #1 and I spend a fair bit trying to get it to have a "top" but adding things straight to it, is a double edged sword, and might ruin something already better than the original. #1 is a very nice Cambodi but I think I desire the more woody and leathery facets of this profile, rather than the more floral woody, which this has. It's not terrible by any means but I just have this strange belief that I can make it perfect.
 
OOOh! I just love the smell of Costus and Balsam Peru, I add Hungarian Oakmoss to this combo sometimes. I can barely get any work done when I use the above together, just walk around sniffing myself. Lol - Like I might find something if I keep sniffing..........Good thing I am my own boss!
You're chasing after a little spirit there… I know just what you mean. You probably will find something if you keep sniffing!
 
TRNP Arjuna thanks to @LibraryOfPerfumes - I am getting lovely warm floral notes bringing tuberose absolute and gardenia blossoms to mind - love both of these facets and the fact that the swipe I applied is basically performing in the way that you would expect a mixture of natural materials to perform. No uncanny loudness or persistence or linearity, thank goodness.
 
Back
Top