I was reminded this morning of how much I like oakmoss when sniffing a sample of a blend that @LasLunas made (and shared with me when she visited). The blend itself is intriguing, nicely balanced, and interestingly has some qualities that remind me of some of the attars I have smelled - there seem to be distinct layers and facets and rich natural complexity, the oakmoss adds some kind of mossy depths... nice!
 
Costus is crazy crazy stuff. there is so much going on beneath that surface veil of general human hair aroma… Smoky, phenolic, resinous, earthy, orris and violet, musky. Pretty important part of traditional Japanese incense accords. I have one distilled oil from white Lotus, a couple of tinctures, a batch of concentrate, some root… I would love to get my hands on some other samples of the essential oil but I'm not sure to what degree it is being made anymore.
 
Costus is crazy crazy stuff. there is so much going on beneath that surface veil of general human hair aroma… Smoky, phenolic, resinous, earthy, orris and violet, musky. Pretty important part of traditional Japanese incense accords. I have one distilled oil from white Lotus, a couple of tinctures, a batch of concentrate, some root… I would love to get my hands on some other samples of the essential oil but I'm not sure to what degree it is being made anymore.
Dan seems to come through yet again
 
sumbul is something different - a bit more like galbanum. But indeed he comes through! I got one of my costus specimens from him. 🙂
Sorry. Sloppy search on my part. Musk root came up under a search on his site for costus so I assumed he was loose with categorization.
 
scent_talks - Golden Tabac - A floral honeyed scent, with fruity nuances, right at the top. Easing into a mid of tobacco coupled with vanilla and an amber accord to create something which feels pastry like, conjuring up images of burnt sugar and freshly roasted coffee beans. The tobacco here isn't rugged, it comes across resinous, and easing out of the mid into the base, that's the aroma which makes this fragrance, which can feel syrupy at the top, turn into something airy and light. The complexities of the animalics used, musk and ambergris are apparent in the late mid and base, and the oud provides a backdrop for all the notes to settle themselves upon, in addition to adding to the resinous quality. To me, what I adore about the scent is this balance between honeyed florals, and resinous facets, coming together into a very classical sort of fragrance, on a base of oakwood caskets smeared in vanilla and coffee absolute! It'll be quite overwhelming the first time you wear it, but once you reach the almost honey suckle flowers drowned in frankincense honey stage, you'll not be able to get enough. Quite different to blends like Cuir de Tabac, this feels more like a floral reimagination of Psychedelic Tabac, or Tabac d'un autre monde! With Saffron and spices toned down, compared to those other two. Word's can't really describe everything that's going on in this scent, and yet again, high impact florals have been used with care, tuned so the jasmine and taif rose create a fruity floral accord without simply overwhelming everything around them!
 
scent_talks - Golden Tabac - A floral honeyed scent, with fruity nuances, right at the top. Easing into a mid of tobacco coupled with vanilla and an amber accord to create something which feels pastry like, conjuring up images of burnt sugar and freshly roasted coffee beans. The tobacco here isn't rugged, it comes across resinous, and easing out of the mid into the base, that's the aroma which makes this fragrance, which can feel syrupy at the top, turn into something airy and light. The complexities of the animalics used, musk and ambergris are apparent in the late mid and base, and the oud provides a backdrop for all the notes to settle themselves upon, in addition to adding to the resinous quality. To me, what I adore about the scent is this balance between honeyed florals, and resinous facets, coming together into a very classical sort of fragrance, on a base of oakwood caskets smeared in vanilla and coffee absolute! It'll be quite overwhelming the first time you wear it, but once you reach the almost honey suckle flowers drowned in frankincense honey stage, you'll not be able to get enough. Quite different to blends like Cuir de Tabac, this feels more like a floral reimagination of Psychedelic Tabac, or Tabac d'un autre monde! With Saffron and spices toned down, compared to those other two. Word's can't really describe everything that's going on in this scent, and yet again, high impact florals have been used with care, tuned so the jasmine and taif rose create a fruity floral accord without simply overwhelming everything around them!
"To me, what I adore about the scent is this balance between honeyed florals, and resinous facets, coming together into a very classical sort of fragrance,"

sounds pretty danged good to me!
 
"To me, what I adore about the scent is this balance between honeyed florals, and resinous facets, coming together into a very classical sort of fragrance,"

sounds pretty danged good to me!
When I think of classical scents, I'm always reminded of this fragrance YouTuber, Lanier Smith. He was speaking once about how sweet fragrances have totally changed in terms of what he used to consider them as, primarily floral compositions with vanilla, sandalwood etc, the sorts of scents you'd see on a gentleman. Where as now they're these peculiar ethyl maltol bombs, and I'm not sure when we decided this was fashionable, to walk around smelling like you've taken hostages at a bakery and stuffed your pants with them.

I was recently in the big city, and so many times on the train and walking around I'd see very well dressed men, however emanating off them were the scents of Spicebomb Extreme or Stronger With You among other fragrance casualties. I just don't get how they feel confident wearing those scents, yet offer them a floral jasmine or rose scent and they'll be offended. In short they just smell juvenile and I'm longing for the classics or the artisanal space which has thankfully come to the rescue! Cartier's L'Envol was one which has excited me from the mainstream offerings, but not much else!
 
Maghreb II from @An Najwa

Sweet, fruity and peachy, leathery, resinous, a bit musky, a bit medicinal - thick and luxurious for sure. I'm reminded of osmanthus absolute which likewise combines deep sugary sweetness, peachy, floral and leathery notes (yet if I recall correctly, osmanthus is not part of the formula). There is a signature style here that also shows up to a degree in some of the other fragrances from this house (like Kishmir and Ghaliya Banu Hashim).
 
Scent Talks - The Black Stone

I was thinking of what would go with Prayers/Wordless by L & V and the Black Stone came to mind. 2 swipes on the wrist and it goes beautifully with P/W. I’ll admit, some seem put off when I discuss my journey of “accepting” musk for the beauty that it is. The Black Stone helps do this. I get dried fruits, musk, clove maybe, cinnamon maybe. The musk has been brilliantly blended in here. It’s like a symphony of scents. I love it very much along with Cuir de Tabac. I seem to be drawn back to these scents. They’re talking to me.
 
Back
Top