Patchouli oil, originating from @Margon 's stills in Sumatra. this is a recently distilled oil, although I don't know all the details. Light color, opening is complex and a little rustic / rough / rugged ... a mixture of different facets - leafy, woody, boozy, earthy, camphorous. With this particular oil, the camphor-like aspect becomes quite pronounced and it's something that I particularly enjoy.

My nose tells me that this comes from a relatively large % of patchoulol or patchouli alcohol in this oil. In pure form this chemical is a white crystalline powder, and I think it is sometimes called patchouli camphor as well.

I enjoy this oil greatly and I'm happy to have a decent amount of it, this one to me really shines and it's mid end base where that patchoulol really settles in and it creates this really deep and engaging almost frosty crystalline patchouli note.

Quite different from some of my other oils which have more pronounced leafy or woody or sharp singing tangy and wine-like qualities. This one really brings in that camphor aspect... gorgeous. Another example of how challenging it is to work with natural materials, because you couldn't substitute this in a recipe for a different style of patchouli unless you were looking for a different outcome.

which also brings the point that in a certain sense a recipe listing a ratio of different natural materials is not necessarily a recipe for a particular fragrance. It's a recipe for a family of fragrances which could come out in any one of a number of different ways depending on the specific batches of materials selected.
 
Arabian Oud - Mukhalat Al Tamayoz

I know, its a commercial brand and a non-artisanal attar but honestly its very, very nice. A very traditional, middle-east oriented blend of Oud, Patchouli, rose and Saffron. Rose dominates the opening with a woody base and dry down is heavy on the Patchouli and oud. Pretty casual but very nice.
 
Arabian Oud - Mukhalat Al Tamayoz

I know, its a commercial brand and a non-artisanal attar but honestly its very, very nice. A very traditional, middle-east oriented blend of Oud, Patchouli, rose and Saffron. Rose dominates the opening with a woody base and dry down is heavy on the Patchouli and oud. Pretty casual but very nice.
i missed recent sale ,ill give a try this ,di you tried nagdy malaki? heard its good too
 
EO - Blue Soil

This is a beautiful slightly tangereenish sort of scent of getting from the attar which is based on blue lotus, Brunei Oud and Kyara Oud. It starts out quite pleasant and citrusy with espresso and woody notes which I love very much. The oud is probably giving it those coffee notes. It’s not comparable to anything. Except maybe @Joe from L & V’s attars. Truly unique and delicious attar.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Blue Soil.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 75
Pink ruh gulab from Hasayan, this is Rosa damascena oil. Softer and a little more rounded than the red rose gulab from the same stills...

These ruhs are lovely and instantly recognizable/ distinguishable from rose from other sources - there is this one particular note or suite of notes that I assume must reflect the particular characteristics of the degs / distillation apparatus themselves, a kind of diffuse earthy mineral note... almost like the faintest echo of a previous vetiver distillation in the same pot. I feel like I smell this in almost every authentic deg distilled rose oil. Trying to remember if I've ever smelled any without that aspect. I also feel like my indian Gulab leans in the fuzzy velvety geranium direction (in contrast with more bright citrusy or peppery oils).

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
EO - Blue Soil

This is a beautiful slightly tangereenish sort of scent of getting from the attar which is based on blue lotus, Brunei Oud and Kyara Oud. It starts out quite pleasant and citrusy with espresso and woody notes which I love very much. The oud is probably giving it those coffee notes. It’s not comparable to anything. Except maybe @Joe from L & V’s attars. Truly unique and delicious attar.


I love tangerine and especially white grapefruit as top notes, but I haven't created anything using those recently. I should. I'm stuck on using either nothing (not very French of me, I know), bergamot, or a bergamot & lime combo.
 
I love tangerine and especially white grapefruit as top notes, but I haven't created anything using those recently. I should. I'm stuck on using either nothing (not very French of me, I know), bergamot, or a bergamot & lime combo.
I think the slight tangerine is coming from the blue lotus - similar to what I smelled in one of your creations that utilizes blue lotus (if you’ve used that). That’s where the connection is. I therefore have developed a familiarity with what blue lotus notes are like.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
I think the slight tangerine is coming from the blue lotus - similar to what I smelled in one of your creations that utilizes blue lotus (if you’ve used that). That’s where the connection is. I therefore have developed a familiarity with what blue lotus notes are like.

True...

(Yes, I did a blue lotus/oud blend based on the golden triangle proportions. I ran out of it, but I just re-made it again, using the same blue lotus abs. oil and oud from 2017, two weekends ago. It's currently maturing. Do you like white grapefruit?)
 
True...

(Yes, I did a blue lotus/oud blend based on the golden triangle proportions. I ran out of it, but I just re-made it again, using the same blue lotus abs. oil and oud from 2017, two weekends ago. It's currently maturing. Do you like white grapefruit?)
I have not tried white grapefruit but I have tried honey pomelo.
 
True...

(Yes, I did a blue lotus/oud blend based on the golden triangle proportions. I ran out of it, but I just re-made it again, using the same blue lotus abs. oil and oud from 2017, two weekends ago. It's currently maturing. Do you like white grapefruit?)
grapefruit is such a tantalizing aroma... love it in any form.

My favorite citrus scent is the aroma of lemon rind from very fresh high-quality lemons, basically right off the tree type situation. What I love about it doesn't really seem to make it into the oils - at times it comes across as a floral as much as it does a citrus to me.
 
grapefruit is such a tantalizing aroma... love it in any form.

My favorite citrus scent is the aroma of lemon rind from very fresh high-quality lemons, basically right off the tree type situation. What I love about it doesn't really seem to make it into the oils - at times it comes across as a floral as much as it does a citrus to me.


My grandfather was a farmer who grew citrus. I know what you're talking about.
 
Sulaym - Jade Blaze EDM

Wow ! Beauty overload. Very different to anything I've experienced before. Very woody, green, citrusy, soft and heavy all at the same time. A beautiful concoction. Will discover it more as I spend more time with it but this is definitely a unique attar.
 
Sulaym - Jade Blaze EDM

Wow ! Beauty overload. Very different to anything I've experienced before. Very woody, green, citrusy, soft and heavy all at the same time. A beautiful concoction. Will discover it more as I spend more time with it but this is definitely a unique attar.
I keep hearing great things about this one!
 
I keep hearing great things about this one!
Rightly so as it is VERY good. Of course every person would experience it differently, but for me personally its very unique and beautifully unusual. Definitely not the type of fragrance I'd normally associate with oud but that could just be because I haven't put my nose to a lot of the 'greener' ouds out there
 
Back
Top