Pink ruh gulab from Hasayan, this is Rosa damascena oil. Softer and a little more rounded than the red rose gulab from the same stills...

These ruhs are lovely and instantly recognizable/ distinguishable from rose from other sources - there is this one particular note or suite of notes that I assume must reflect the particular characteristics of the degs / distillation apparatus themselves, a kind of diffuse earthy mineral note... almost like the faintest echo of a previous vetiver distillation in the same pot. I feel like I smell this in almost every authentic deg distilled rose oil. Trying to remember if I've ever smelled any without that aspect. I also feel like my indian Gulab leans in the fuzzy velvety geranium direction (in contrast with more bright citrusy or peppery oils).

View attachment 50838
Love that leaning towards Geranium! One of my favorites...
 
Lupus & Vega - Botanical Remembrance

I’m getting ready to go to bed and I think to myself that L & V @Joe stuff calms me down and puts me in a dreamy mood. So I reached for botanical remembrance on this occasion. I’m getting notes of pure maple syrup along with dark sandalwood. Very beautiful.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Botanical Remembrance .webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 79
I applied a swipe of a fine Egyptian jasmine grandiflorum absolute, a batch from a couple of years ago that was kind of unusual. This is highest quality absolute, and as you oudheads are well aware, thinking of something like Jasmine absolute as being a particular fragrance is a little bit naïve… the particular extraction and origin is everything when it comes to these really fine materials, though just like with oud it may take years to develop the nose to appreciate the nuances. In any case this is just the finest freaking Jasmine… The most beautiful life like fresh narcotic nuance emanating from my wrist the entire afternoon. The opening is complex in the way that Jasmine absolute is… Almost over powers the senses, goes through a beautiful stage rich in linalool, this one has the faintest violet leaf type greenness, some lilac like notes, rich ringing syrupy classic grand heart. I have worn so much jasmine that I would expect it couldn't surprise me anymore, but it seems to be bottomless if you take the time to pay attention! today it was the subtlety and delicacy of the dry down about 6 hours later that was really beautiful to me.
 
Last edited:
EO - Blue Soil

This is a beautiful slightly tangereenish sort of scent of getting from the attar which is based on blue lotus, Brunei Oud and Kyara Oud. It starts out quite pleasant and citrusy with espresso and woody notes which I love very much. The oud is probably giving it those coffee notes. It’s not comparable to anything. Except maybe @Joe from L & V’s attars. Truly unique and delicious attar.
You have quite a collection!
 
@AlHind Oud's Khmer Jadeed layered over Elkhaldi's Civet Royale.

Everyone's been talking about civet lately, and I remembered I had a small sample of this aged civet absolute that I never got around to trying.

I put way to much on, but man it's something else.

In a past life, I was a connoisseur of hard drugs instead of fine aromatics, and on a few occasions I had managed to get my hands on pure opium. And that's immediately what I was reminded of. That bittersweet, earthy, spicy floral aroma.

While that was warming up on my skin, I was trying to think of what might pair well with it and Khmer Jadeed popped in my head.

Right when I applied the oud, it was like every olfactory receptor had switched on. Usually this is an oud that takes some warming on the skin to really shine, but it went 100 immediately on top of the civet. Completely over taking the civet for awhile before the civet started peaking through and taking back over. The oud is still working magic, and I'm still loving the pairing, but I'm definitely going to try this layering again soon with less civet.
 
I applied a swipe of a fine Egyptian jasmine grandiflorum absolute, a batch from a couple of years ago that was kind of unusual. This is highest quality absolute, and as you oudheads are well aware, thinking of something like Jasmine absolute as being a particular fragrance is a little bit naïve… the particular extraction and origin is everything when it comes to these really fine materials, though just like with oud it may take years to develop the nose to appreciate the nuances. In any case this is just the finest freaking Jasmine… The most beautiful life like fresh narcotic nuance emanating from my wrist the entire afternoon. The opening is complex in the way that Jasmine absolute is… Almost over powers the senses, goes through a beautiful stage rich in linalool, this one has the faintest violet leaf type greenness, some lilac like notes, rich ringing syrupy classic grand heart. I have worn so much jasmine that I would expect it couldn't surprise me anymore, but it seems to be bottomless if you take the time to pay attention! today it was the subtlety and delicacy of the dry down about 6 hours later that was really beautiful to me.
Sounds Delicious!
 
Sounds Delicious!
The second half of the fragrance in particular on this occasion. There something absolutely unparalleled in grandiflorum oil - it is in a class of its own.
 
Egyptian neroli from The Essential Oil Co. (the one in the US). got this stuff for quite a deal, which was a little surprising because this source is often a little bit high priced. It's a decent neroli - very nice floral and fuzzy but a little bitter and not as soft as the organic Moroccan from Eden.
 
Oakmoss is one of these materials that is so much more than a scent - it combines with really strange power and deeply alters the character of anything it combines with. Haven't been blending with it of late and when i caught a whiff today combine with some other things i was deliberately layering, it was a really striking experience - it felt like catching a peep through a little aperture of an entirely different and adjacent world of fragrances influenced by its peculiar facets. like that garden door in Through the Looking Glass - I want to work on the other side of that door a bit. It exalts and anchors at the same time... get a little bit of this on your skin and nothing smells quite the same for the rest of the day - you are in oakmoss land.

I just did a side-by-side of some white lotus oak moss from the early 00's and a new batch from Fraterworks, both at 10% in ethanol. I full expected the old batch to be inferior - I've never even bothered to do a side-by-side before now, but holy moly! there's no comparison. They are both great, I'm quite happy with the fresher material but the old stuff sings - it has this beautiful dry focused resinous piney woody lichen note that makes me want to eat it, just outstanding.

It is much more saturated and lacks a kind of waxy or crayon quality that becomes evident in the contemporary oil when smelled side-by-side.

Time to source more oakmoss samples, IFRA be damned!
 
Last edited:
EO - Duplicating the moon

There is orris butter opening right off the bat. It feels very resinous and has notes of vinegar. Not unpleasant. It’s sweet, enchanting, and the jasmine reaches out and grabs. The jasmine does not have an overwhelming barn note. It feels clean and sugary. Sillage and Projection are medium. In conclusion, Duplicating the moon is a nice attar to have but doesn’t have to be a need in your collection.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Duplicating the moon.webp
    67.8 KB · Views: 63
@AlHind Oud's Khmer Jadeed layered over Elkhaldi's Civet Royale.

Everyone's been talking about civet lately, and I remembered I had a small sample of this aged civet absolute that I never got around to trying.

I put way to much on, but man it's something else.

In a past life, I was a connoisseur of hard drugs instead of fine aromatics, and on a few occasions I had managed to get my hands on pure opium. And that's immediately what I was reminded of. That bittersweet, earthy, spicy floral aroma.

While that was warming up on my skin, I was trying to think of what might pair well with it and Khmer Jadeed popped in my head.

Right when I applied the oud, it was like every olfactory receptor had switched on. Usually this is an oud that takes some warming on the skin to really shine, but it went 100 immediately on top of the civet. Completely over taking the civet for awhile before the civet started peaking through and taking back over. The oud is still working magic, and I'm still loving the pairing, but I'm definitely going to try this layering again soon with less civet.
You're my brother from another mother.
 
Last edited:
ruh motia Hasayan

Distilled sambac like this has a kind of fresh cooked petals and stewed fruit scent along with the familiar sambac heart notes. A very interesting alternative to the solvent extracted absolute... more saturated and intense since it is 100% volatile
 
Layla on one wrist, Jade Blaze OG on the other - @SULAYM

I just got a sample of Layla in today, and in anticipation of the drop Friday I needed to try it. It is very different from any other perfume I've experienced from Sulaym. I've come to expect a sort a darkness from them - a base of oud that you know was deep dark red or black when it went into the composition. This on the other hand opens with a sharp yet delicate champaca, coupled with an ethereal ouddiness. It does smell blue, but not like Sri Lanka or blue lotus or anything I can really compare to. A blue all it's own. After awhile the champaca settles down and everything starts working together to create a very nice floral oud perfume.

Jade Blaze OG needs no introduction, but I have to mention that when I take a good sniff of Layla, then go over to the wrist with Jade Blaze, I get this insane peanut butter and jelly note. Might make for a wild layering.
 
Last edited:
Oakmoss is one of these materials that is so much more than a scent - it combines with really strange power and deeply alters the character of anything it combines with. Haven't been blending with it of late and when i caught a whiff today combine with some other things i was deliberately layering, it was a really striking experience - it felt like catching a peep through a little aperture of an entirely different and adjacent world of fragrances influenced by its peculiar facets. like that garden door in Through the Looking Glass - I want to work on the other side of that door a bit. It exalts and anchors at the same time... get a little bit of this on your skin and nothing smells quite the same for the rest of the day - you are in oakmoss land.

I just did a side-by-side of some white lotus oak moss from the early 00's and a new batch from Fraterworks, both at 10% in ethanol. I full expected the old batch to be inferior - I've never even bothered to do a side-by-side before now, but holy moly! there's no comparison. They are both great, I'm quite happy with the fresher material but the old stuff sings - it has this beautiful dry focused resinous piney woody lichen note that makes me want to eat it, just outstanding.

It is much more saturated and lacks a kind of waxy or crayon quality that becomes evident in the contemporary oil when smelled side-by-side.

Time to source more oakmoss samples, IFRA be damned!
I have some from Mandy I will share with you. It is hands down my favorite and you know I just love Oakmoss. It gets in my brain and lingers on and on.
 
I have some from Mandy I will share with you. It is hands down my favorite and you know I just love Oakmoss. It gets in my brain and lingers on and on.
Looking forward to it! She would know how to pick a good one if anyone would!
 
Sultan Pasha Attars - Thebes II

This is a really great attar. From the huge selection of stars that Sultan Pasha has I thought I would try this one out as a tester.

It opens with aldehydes and Lilly of the valley. The heart consists of a strong orris butter scent along with Bulgarian rose absolute and Jasmine grandiflora absolute .The base has a strong vetiver note. This is beautiful fougery, powdery and spicy attar. I love it.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Thebes II.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 57
Sultan Pasha Attars - Thebes II

This is a really great attar. From the huge selection of stars that Sultan Pasha has I thought I would try this one out as a tester.

It opens with aldehydes and Lilly of the valley. The heart consists of a strong orris butter scent along with Bulgarian rose absolute and Jasmine grandiflora absolute .The base has a strong vetiver note. This is beautiful fougery, powdery and spicy attar. I love it.
Me and fougeres don't get along for some reason, don't know why. But I'm glad they're still around
 
Back
Top