I purchased a gram of Animalis. Judging by your description, @Thrilla Gorilla , I’m going to love it! Can’t wait for it to get to me…..

I look forward to seeing your impression of it. With the humble description on the website, I might’ve overlooked it and couldn’t imagine what the profile is. I’m not familiar with orris by itself. The Oud is very well blended. No barn or potent Hindi profile.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Sulaym - Layla

This is definitely one of the best floral attars I've smelt. The thing that strikes me the most is the initial Borneo/floral bite, very very sharp. I don't have an expert nose that can pick out each and every nuance but the Borneo/floral composition is just beautiful.

Whilst Khadijah is delicate and Jade Blaze is a cloud of green smoke and incense, this is a bright blue shooting star, sharp and fast. Definitely leaves an imprint.
 
Sulaym - Elysium (Édition de Musc)

I loved the OG but I love this one too. It’s like I’m sleeping on a cloud of florals, ambergris, Oud, and musk. Sweet, creamy, floral, almost gourmand. This is truly one of the greatest attars I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. I’m looking forward to Layla. But for now, this will do.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Elysium EDM.webp
    120.6 KB · Views: 109
Sulaym - Elysium (Édition de Musc)

I loved the OG but I love this one too. It’s like I’m sleeping on a cloud of florals, ambergris, Oud, and musk. Sweet, creamy, floral, almost gourmand. This is truly one of the greatest attars I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. I’m looking forward to Layla. But for now, this will do.
🤲 ❤️
 
Lupus & Vega - Prayers/Wordless

This is a beautiful attar. The frankincense, Koh Kong Oud, sandalwood, and benzoin really come through to create a magnificent scent that can only be done by L&V. I get notes of vanilla, cinnamon and caramel.

I’ve had 2 “unacceptable material” shipments. So this attar helps deal with the pain of this experience. I’m expecting write-offs. But all I can do is pray.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Prayers:wordless.webp
    117.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Lupus & Vega - Prayers/Wordless

This is a beautiful attar. The frankincense, Koh Kong Oud, sandalwood, and benzoin really come through to create a magnificent scent that can only be done by L&V. I get notes of vanilla, cinnamon and caramel.

I’ve had 2 “unacceptable material” shipments. So this attar helps deal with the pain of this experience. I’m expecting write-offs. But all I can do is pray.
@mobyus , how did you know what kind of oud I used? This was nice to read on a very bad day. So thank you. I’m glad it brings you calm….
 
Oud.sg - Mukhallat 02

What an amazing mix of florals and Oud. I would say this is almost better than Taif Rose. It’s an amazing blend of a floral bouquet with a whisper of Oud. The florals are sharp throughout while the oud is a bit muted. But I expect it to come through on the dry down.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Mukhallat 02.webp
    127.1 KB · Views: 104
EO - Musk SQ Attar

Have already posted about this one before but felt like it needed to be spot tested again as this one carries a lot of depth.

The opening is definitely strong on the cola, spices and mellow florals.

The dry down, to me is like walking through a spice souk, but not as intense. The aroma of a spice souk mixed with that powdery sweetness with a hint of musk floating in the background. At this point the cola note has decided to fade into the shadows but the traces are still there. I feel like this is the type of attar that needs to be revisited again and again to be fully understood.
 
Last edited:
I look forward to seeing your impression of it. With the humble description on the website, I might’ve overlooked it and couldn’t imagine what the profile is. I’m not familiar with orris by itself. The Oud is very well blended. No barn or potent Hindi profile.
Sorry I missed your response to me.

Orris by itself and undiluted isn’t that exciting, but tinctured, aged, etc., and added in small amounts can really transform an entire composition and add a gorgeous, violet-dimensional odor. It’s also a tad rooty depending on concentration, maceration time, and the age of the root, and, of course, WHICH species is used. I happen to adore the pallida with iris florentina a very, very close second for most, but each, to be honest, has their own effects, so it just depends on what you need it to do. It’s getting hard to find, so I am glad I have a lot of it from a large investment made a decade */- ago. It’s very expensive, and always has been.

Orris tincture can make a perfume evolve, and has a low evaporation rate (the iris part of it, not the alcohol, obviously).

And when I say, rooty, I mean “earthy”—not like a lot of carrots. It’s persistent and diffusive, just overall a great material to have.

As far as Animalis, I found the description modest, and thus, very curious about it. This will be my first attar from them, nice!, so I will definitely report back to you on it. I think I got an email early this morning letting me know my order has shipped. I splurged a bit on this order, for me that is, so am looking forward to the goodies.

Peace!
Joe
 
Aroma Sublime - Tiger and Ibis. I'm fasinated by this combo of sandlewood and oud. This seems like a perfect balance of Mysore and Pursat. I've been eyeing this off for months now so I'm grateful for the sample. Check out the neat little bottles Pierre is using.View attachment 51016
You should try his orris and ambergris perfume! It is quite the success.
 
Two gems from Zakir Gafur today

Hamra Amber - scintillating juicy dense roses upon a base of amber, warm and uplifting, sweet but light, simply gorgeous. The rose in here is really something.

Black Gold - out of my comfort zone with this one. Cedar, pine, oud, and salty ambergris. It is light and fresh woody but also deep and rich. A wonderful juxtaposition that leads to a complex wear, very enjoyable.

There's a consistent DNA that runs though many Zakir Gafur creations but goodness are they wonderful value.
 
Back
Top