I have tried trail version of some of Wasif's upcoming compositions (and already released ones). I am impressed enough that I already aquired 2 extraits (Rose de L'Antiquité Oud and Peau d'Orris) and this attar.
Are you able to tell us what the upcoming compositions are?
 
Agar Aura- AlArabiyah: This mukhallat I bought from dear Taha back in 2011-2012 is a personal favorite. I found the bottle in the trunk of my 2007 Toyota minivan. I was able to enjoy one last dried sticky swipe that instantly flew me back to my early thirties. The smell of genuine high quality indian oud (Purana if I'm not mistaken) and the notes of frankincense and Arabian gums made me almost come to tears as I remembered people I wanted to live with my entire life, but wasn't lucky to win them over. Beloved ones who were enjoying their final strands of health and are now burdened with ills and ailments. The laughters I enjoyed with my cronies in the office while wearing this masterpiece, and which they caught its scent before I opened the door and heard all kinds of compliments about it from them, the time when I applied it to my skin and rubbed my beard and shoulders and covered myself in a cool Egyptian blanket while sleeping on the floor next to my mom's bed, when she woke up the next day and held that blanket near her face and smelled the attar and asked me to let her sleep in it the following night, and the sorrowful wish that this oil would be remade again using the exact same ingredients so that maybe I can savor moments of youthful joy again. It is true that Taha remade it, but the original was something special. It had such a succulent and citrussy kicks blended with a touch of spiciness and topped by a candilicious sweetness that reminded me of the agarwood market at Al- Balad in Jeddah. Those were the days.
 
Agar Aura- AlArabiyah: This mukhallat I bought from dear Taha back in 2011-2012 is a personal favorite. I found the bottle in the trunk of my 2007 Toyota minivan. I was able to enjoy one last dried sticky swipe that instantly flew me back to my early thirties. The smell of genuine high quality indian oud (Purana if I'm not mistaken) and the notes of frankincense and Arabian gums made me almost come to tears as I remembered people I wanted to live with my entire life, but wasn't lucky to win them over. Beloved ones who were enjoying their final strands of health and are now burdened with ills and ailments. The laughters I enjoyed with my cronies in the office while wearing this masterpiece, and which they caught its scent before I opened the door and heard all kinds of compliments about it from them, the time when I applied it to my skin and rubbed my beard and shoulders and covered myself in a cool Egyptian blanket while sleeping on the floor next to my mom's bed, when she woke up the next day and held that blanket near her face and smelled the attar and asked me to let her sleep in it the following night, and the sorrowful wish that this oil would be remade again using the exact same ingredients so that maybe I can savor moments of youthful joy again. It is true that Taha remade it, but the original was something special. It had such a succulent and citrussy kicks blended with a touch of spiciness and topped by a candilicious sweetness that reminded me of the agarwood market at Al- Balad in Jeddah. Those were the days.
It’s truly moving to see how every emotion you’ve felt is brought back to life through scent.

For some, fragrance is just a pleasant aroma;
For some, it’s a key that unlocks time , an invisible bridge carrying the past into the present
 
I've recently been wearing Prachin Rose and Tripura Tiger from scent_talks a fair bit, separately of course. Both are almost completely different in profile, Tripura Tiger is a minimalist composition with aged Hindi oud, aged amber and musk, while Prachin Rose has many more note but is built around a beautiful rose accord, enhanced with Prachin oud and several Hindi ouds. One is a more warming, heavy on the animalics scent, while the other is more public friendly with a honeyed rose that really shines through at the top.

Today however I decided to wear a mix of the two, taking two dots of Tripura Tiger, and three dots of Prachin Rose, I felt like this ratio would complement both components. The result? It's hard not to use superlatives for this, but the scent was magnificent! Both coming together almost as an accord, there was little indication of what either was prior to combining! The animalic growl from Tripura Tiger was reduced but somehow, what was left played into pushing forward the rose accord in Prachin Rose! Prachin Rose on the other hand, parted with its honeyed quality, lending it to the amber and musk notes in Tripura Tiger. The blend was neither warming nor cold, the depth of oudy goodness Tripura Tiger embodies was maintained and a completely new nuance to the rose was created! It became fruiter and something between a red and pink rose (painting a picture from scent), the petal like nuance of rose absolute which gives it a meaty, almost chewy texture worked so well with the dark, resinous and leathery oud. What was truly shocking, the sour mid notes of the Hindi ouds merged with the rose notes and gave a more rose otto forward profile. So with the combination of both the rose absolute and otto, a complete rose profile was achieved, which resulted in a very refreshing oud and rose combination. Of course there's musks and amber here as well, but just the shimmering like profile the entire scent had, almost as if a lemon flower extract was added (imaginary scent description of course). And just to reiterate neither blend has this facet to the extent it comes out when combined! It's very rare you arm blend and find something which satiates you, but this was one of them! Of course, all credit goes to doctor saab as the artist for creating these blends to begin with, I'm merely painting by numbers here!
 
Are you able to tell us what the upcoming compositions are?
Wasif gave me trail versions of
- a compo with heavy use of Chinese oud: already good one. but he told me it needs further tweaking.
- a tobacco compo with a chypre stucture: haven't tried it yet
- an animalic floral leather. IIRC, it was quite an early iteration.
- Also some of his own accords and they are pretty good - an important step for any serious perfumer.
He also has compos highlighting narcissus and osmanthus. But I don't know their release schedule. Best if you communicate with him directly.
 
Now wearing Turath Prive (Sultan Pasha Attars): It has more roses than in Turath (2022). Compared to Hindi Oud Nasha (2022) and Turath, the oud here is less louder, but remains prominent (- and still quite potent). It also has a toned down quality of the beautiful humming leather of Cheval d'Arabie (2020). Essentially TP is more incensy and balsamic and less leathery than the original with less animalic oudy qualities. Various floral creamy and balsamic facets come across as more nuanced.

If you have smelt slowly aged deer musk maceration (with very little heat treatment) on sandalwood, you'll immediately notice a similar sweet and incensy musk accord. This part reminds me of Basmati Rose's musk accord. Some Taifi, Persian and a few other areas’ roses also have that aforementioned incense and musky smells. So most likely the rose in Turath Privé is also responsible for that incense facet. The trails are similar with more oomph in it's 'incensy and balsamic oudiness' departments. Imagine 'Hindi Oud Nasha' married his son 'Turath' to the daughter of 'Basmati Rose' with a wedding gift of lots of bright, and incensy Taifi and Persian roses!
 
Last edited:
It’s truly moving to see how every emotion you’ve felt is brought back to life through scent.

For some, fragrance is just a pleasant aroma;
For some, it’s a key that unlocks time , an invisible bridge carrying the past into the present
I have one Agar Aura remaining. I forgot what it’s called. But it’s sitting with all my other ouds and blends I no longer wear.
 
Here are some beauties… a nice soft glowing neroli from Morocco, airy and bitter-green springtime scents of narcissus and jonquille, electric ozonic tart ultra high register boronia. Paradise!
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Not sure if this is the right thread - but mixed a drop of Sulaym's Jabal Akhdar rose with a little fractionated coconut oil and wore it neat. Wowzers. Talk about beautiful and room filling. Rose in its purest form. My wife actually messaged me saying she could still smell it a couple of hours after leaving the house. Amazing.
 
It’s truly moving to see how every emotion you’ve felt is brought back to life through scent.

For some, fragrance is just a pleasant aroma;
For some, it’s a key that unlocks time , an invisible bridge carrying the past into the present
A few good gentlemen were showcasing their oud oils and attars outside the masjid after Juma salah. Nobody except me was standing there for a long time taking test swipes of oud oils and sniffing my hands like a mad man. I realized how niche this category is. Very difficult to find an equally enthusiastic oud lover. Most of the people doesn’t pay attention or they think the mainstream synthetic garbage are the only fragrances.
 
ASO - Al Bayt Al Ateeq II

The first time I put my nose to this it was an enchanting experience, kind of like a moment from a fairytale, but the more I smell it the more its growing on me. At first it was a very nice scent, but now its resonating beyond just a nice scent. Honestly I don't even care about the specifics of the ingredients because this is all about feeling. Khalouq sits alongside it as its mature and darker version. Not better or worse....just different. Different characters with different stories but the same language. The house of ASO has a way of making attars/ouds that speak to you. Amazing.
 
Back
Top